Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 won't stay connected to network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

This has never worked, regardless of the HR20 software version. One day, I'm connected, media share works great. Next day, no media share. It's still running on my PC, I can still get VOD, but no media share. Only a reset brings it back. This has happaned using WMP and TVersity.

Any suggestions?
:pinkie:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

I had this problem when I had a wireless connection. I hard wired and the problem went away.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:40 AM

I had this problem when I had a wireless connection. I hard wired and the problem went away.

My PC is Wireless, but the HR20 is not. If that's the case, some works by Directv still needs to be done there.

#4 OFFLINE   apexmi

apexmi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

This has never worked, regardless of the HR20 software version. One day, I'm connected, media share works great. Next day, no media share. It's still running on my PC, I can still get VOD, but no media share. Only a reset brings it back. This has happaned using WMP and TVersity.

Any suggestions?

Mine stays connected unless the pc is turned off or rebooted, Then the HR20 has to be rebooted too to find it it again
Bob

HR20-700,H20-100 x3, Toshiba 57HX83 Cinema Series 1080i, Toshiba HD-A1 & A2(2) HD-DVD, PS3 200gb Blu-ray, Onkyo 806 7.1, Harmony 880, Olevia 232v 720p LCD,Sharp 19" Aquos 720p,Toshiba 26HF85 1080i CRT, AT9 Main Dish, AU9 Slimline Tripod mounted for camping / tailgating DirecTV sub since 02/99.

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."- Mark Twain

#5 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:31 AM

Any suggestions?

All three of mine work fine. 1 is hard wired and 2 have gaming adapters on them. I use wmp11, now check your firewall settings and make sure it is allowed. I had that problem with CA antivirus, I switched to NOD32 and it went away. I had to go in to the firewall settings of CA and allow the recievers,then the recievers stayed connected.
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:02 AM

All three of mine work fine. 1 is hard wired and 2 have gaming adapters on them. I use wmp11, now check your firewall settings and make sure it is allowed. I had that problem with CA antivirus, I switched to NOD32 and it went away. I had to go in to the firewall settings of CA and allow the recievers,then the recievers stayed connected.

Tried turning off the firewall entirely, and still, overnight, it disconnects and won't reconnect without reseting the receiver. The PC doesn't shut down, hibernate, or anything else.

I guess, the real issue here is, the HR20 stays connected to the network, but it doesn't retry to connect to the media share stuff. That would be a nice thing to add to the wishlist......

#7 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

Tried turning off the firewall entirely, and still, overnight, it disconnects and won't reconnect without reseting the receiver. The PC doesn't shut down, hibernate, or anything else.

I guess, the real issue here is, the HR20 stays connected to the network, but it doesn't retry to connect to the media share stuff. That would be a nice thing to add to the wishlist......

But they do stay connected though. That's what i'm saying all of mine. When i bring my PC back up (usually I shut down) it comes right up for me. How are you connected. Hardwird or wireless, and what os are you running? I run vista now but had a setup for XP. If wireless what adapter are you using?
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

Try this...
Click on my network places, on the left side top menu portion click on "Show icons for networked UPnP devices", this may help.

Also check out the title "Media Server Logoff Message" in the link that is in my signature for network help.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#9 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:04 AM

Have you tried restarting the media share service? I only turn on my media share service when I plan to use it, which is not often. How often do you use the media sharing option of the HR20?

#10 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

Try this...
Click on my network places, on the left side top menu portion click on "Show icons for networked UPnP devices", this may help.

Also check out the title "Media Server Logoff Message" in the link that is in my signature for network help.

You do have a very prmoising link I checked out rpeviously, but it's a broken link:

"HR20 Does not see TVersity Media Server or it stops detecting it after a while "

#11 OFFLINE   SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

ProfLonghair,
Try looking at the WMP11 sharing service... it's called "Microsoft Media Sharing Service" or something similar. Go into the properties. On one of the tabs, the user account used to start the service is the "NETWORK SERVICE" logon. Change that to "Local System Account" buy checking the radio button next to that option. Save settings, stop and restart the service.

Wait a few minutes and see if the "Music and Photos" menu option appears on your HR20.

Good luck,
Bob

Signal: AU9 Slimline Dish/SWM-8/OTA

Receivers: HR22NC-100 w/AM-21 [CE:0x03A1] / HR20-700 [CE:0x03A8] / HR22-100 [CE:0x03A1]

See my full setup here.

#12 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

I have the same issue - it works then disconnects and I can't get it back without restarting the HR20. Not worth it to me. Maybe if a big crowd is at the house and I want to bore them with grandchildren pictures.

#13 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

This was the most important part I saw:

C. ) MAJOR DISCOVERY that solved my logoff problem: I am running Win/XP Home -SP2. Compaq. I discovered that there is a Windows "Component" that was not installed . (Control Panel>>Add or Remove Programs>>Windows Components>>Networking Services>>(Details). Ensure that UPnP User Interface is checked and Click "OK" **This needs to be added to POST #1 of Step by Step Router/Bridge/HR20 Network Configuration Docthread

:Editorial ON:
I beleive that the software in the HR2X sets a configuration record at boot time. If it finds a Media Share server, it sets information about the connection. When the connection drops it remebers to listen for a reconnection.

My problem of not having "Network UPnP User Interface" running caused the HR21 to Logoff after aprox 4 hours. The only way I could get reconnected was a HR2X reset/reboot.

Now that I have UPnP User Interface, I do not logoff the media server until the server actually drops. And, most importantly, connection is automatically restored after the media server retruns.
:Editorial Off:

#14 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

Not sure why the link is not working, but if you go to the Q&A main page and look at the top of the page, there is a sub forum called "HR20/21 Information Resources " click on that then go to the sticky thread called "Step-by-Step Router/Bridge/HR20 Network Configuration Doc ".

-Mark-
3/98

#15 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Are you guys saying you can shut down your computer, bring it back, and the music and pictures reappear in the menu? Every time I shut down my networked PC the connection to the HR20-700 is lost and I have to reboot it to get music and pics back. I haven't been using it hardly at all because I figured that was the way it was "supposed" to work and it wasn't worth it to keep resetting the HR20. My connection is hard wired from a WRT54G and I use an old Netgear router as a switch at the TV since I have both Slingbox and the HR20 connected.

#16 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

I only start the media server up when I am going to use it. I use the Nero 7 software. You can shut the share off/on with WMP11 as well and only turn the share on when you need it.

This may help in some cases.

-Mark-
3/98

#17 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Are you guys saying you can shut down your computer, bring it back, and the music and pictures reappear in the menu? Every time I shut down my networked PC the connection to the HR20-700 is lost and I have to reboot it to get music and pics back. I haven't been using it hardly at all because I figured that was the way it was "supposed" to work and it wasn't worth it to keep resetting the HR20. My connection is hard wired from a WRT54G and I use an old Netgear router as a switch at the TV since I have both Slingbox and the HR20 connected.

Everytime you shut down your PC your HR20 networking goes away as well? Or the connection to the Media server is lost (which makes sense)? And what do you have to reboot to get it back? The HR20? If I activate my Media server on my PC the HR20 will see it without needing to be reset. I just needed to reset the HR20 after I initially installed networking.

When I am telling people to restart the media server, I do not mean reboot the PC. I mean go to the WINDOWS SERVICES icon in the control panel and stop and restart the media sharing service. I guess stopping and restarting the media sharing application will also work.

#18 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

ok, i have a question about the CA Antivirus? i assume you ment CA firewall? and you got this with Time Warner?
if so, how did you edit the settings? i'm running Vista premium Edition, and had to uninstall the CA firewall and disable windows firewall.
if you know how to get CA firewall to work could you please give me step-by-step instructions on what setting's you added to get it to work?
thanks
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

spam firewall