Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DLB - What is it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryElbow

JerryElbow

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

Though I've been a TiVo user and a cable DVR (Scientific Atlanta) user for years and have recently moved over to DirecTV and a pair of HR20s, I confess ignorance as to one feature many users on this site declare their strong desires for: dual live buffers. What exactly are dual live buffers and how would I use them? I gather it'd be something like flipping back and forth between two channels and keeping both of them in the buffer as I've always been able to do with a single channel on all my DVRs. Is that it? Why would that be so important? Can someone tell me how they would use it and why? Maybe I'm just confused because I watch so little "live" TV anymore, preferring to record almost everything I have an interest in watching and viewing it later at my convenience.

Thanks in advance for your help in demystifying this issue for me!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

DLB is great for watching two games (football or otherwise) at the same time.

#3 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Though I've been a TiVo user and a cable DVR (Scientific Atlanta) user for years and have recently moved over to DirecTV and a pair of HR20s, I confess ignorance as to one feature many users on this site declare their strong desires for: dual live buffers. What exactly are dual live buffers and how would I use them? I gather it'd be something like flipping back and forth between two channels and keeping both of them in the buffer as I've always been able to do with a single channel on all my DVRs. Is that it? Why would that be so important? Can someone tell me how they would use it and why? Maybe I'm just confused because I watch so little "live" TV anymore, preferring to record almost everything I have an interest in watching and viewing it later at my convenience.

Thanks in advance for your help in demystifying this issue for me!

For me, DLB is good for sports. You can turn one tuner to one game and on the other tuner turn on another game. That way when one game goes to commercial you can switch to the other tuner and watch the buffered portion of the game that you havent been watching and when you catch up to the end of the buffer on that tuner sitch back to game #1 and back up to where you switched, and so on and so forth. Thats why to me its important, not important enough to keep me from switching from my HR10 to an HR2X (the cost is keeping me from that). Hope that helps.

#4 OFFLINE   JerryElbow

JerryElbow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Scott J and jodyguercio! Not being a fan of televised sports, I'm more interested in using a DVR's ability to skip over commercials in a pre-recorded show than using commercial time to watch other live games. Still, so many folks seem to want this that I hope DirecTV comes up with a way of offering it through a software upgrade sometime soon!

#5 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Scott J and jodyguercio! Not being a fan of televised sports, I'm more interested in using a DVR's ability to skip over commercials in a pre-recorded show than using commercial time to watch other live games. Still, so many folks seem to want this that I hope DirecTV comes up with a way of offering it through a software upgrade sometime soon!

No problem Jerry.....DLB is one of those topics along with "My HR2X isnt a Tivo" that will be debated for years to come...bottom line is either you like it and would use it (like me) or yea its a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me (like you)

spam firewall