Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 vs HR21 Firmware.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DollaGreen

DollaGreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

I recently just got a HR21 installed, in addition to my HR20. I am wondering if there is any known expectation of when some of the new features added to the HR20 firmware like VOD and hiding SD channels should make their way to the 21. Kinda used to those now, and sucks to go backwords with this new unit. Sorry if this has been discussed. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

Hopefully soon. It has been catching up to the HR20 pretty quickly.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

I can't give you a concrete date but I can tell you that it makes no sense for the HR21 to lag behind the HR20 longer than it has to. I can also tell you that development is proceeding.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   PittCaleb

PittCaleb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

Just one person's perspective...

I go back to UltimateTV when it comes to DVR's. Before purchase, there was a beta test going on with web-based remote scheduling. I bought the UTV. Shortly after, the entire UTV program was disbanded. I loved the unit none-the-less and kept it until the HD drive failed (at that time, people still didn't know how to re-build a UTV system with a bad HD)

I then bought my first DirecTiVo. Multi-room viewing was always rumored. Relatively shortly after I joined the DTiVo band, the relationship there soured and there was no further development.

So my HR10-250 HD died, I replaced it, and the new drive immediately also failed, so I joined the HR20/21 program (I had wanted the new channels anyway). I was given an HR21, the HR20 seems to have the newest features.

In context, don't make those of us doubtful that we'll ever see improvements feel like we're just haters on DirecTV. We have a history of things never panning out. I would love to get this thing networked to play video's from my PC, I'd love to watch on-demand movies with a tremendous library to choose from. I'd love multi-room-viewing and upgrade my other TiVo to an HR-series DVR.

Unfortunately though, I seriously doubt any of this will ever go to the HR21 or go out of the alpha/beta status that it currently is in. Call my cynical, but I stand on experience.

Right now, I'd just like my HR21 to work like my DTiVo did when it comes to setting up schedules. i.e. more than 50 schedules and "wishlist" that actually works. My wishlists still don't work. If someone wants to help, drop me a PM. I've already posted with no response.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst,
Caleb

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:56 PM

PittCaleb,

I can understand what you're talking about and I get why you're cynical. What I think we're talking about here are features that are already on the HR21's older brother (HR20) and when they will be on the HR21. To which I say, the hardware is very similar, the implementations are very similar, and there's no reason to think that DIRECTV won't go for identical features as soon as they can.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall