Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time is off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   California King

California King

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

Is there a way to fix the time on my HR21? I've noticed that the time keeps getting more late in just the 2 weeks I've had DTV. About 5 days ago, it was 7 seconds late, now it's almost 20 seconds late! My recording begin in mid-sentence and it's ridiculous that you can't fix it manually.

So, I was wondering if there is any way to fix it? I was thinking a reset might do it? Maybe if I call DTV, they can fix it for me?

P.S. I'm starting to see that DTV has so many DAMN problems. Sure they might be small, such as the time being a couple seconds late, slow guide, audio sync issues, etc, but when there's so many of them...it just becomes disappointing!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

You can't adjust the clock. There is a known bug- recordings begin about 20- 30seconds after the time that they should; although networks don't always begin programs when they should. However, are you saying that the clock on the HR21 is losing time like a watch that needs a new battery?

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

you can adjust the program to start one minute early... that should take care of your problem...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   opelap

opelap

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

you can adjust the program to start one minute early... that should take care of your problem...

Not such an easy fix. The padding will cause conflicts between programs on different channels that you want to record if one starts right after the other.

#5 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

Just use padding 1-2 minutes before and 1-2 minutes after the programs. I always do unless shows on the same channel are recording one right after the other.

Whether it's a DIRECTV software problem, tv channel network timing problem, or whatever the padding will take care of it.

If I ever start having recording conflicts doing this I'll just get another DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have my default record settings be record one minute early and record one minute late. I've never missed any beginnings of end of shows.

I do the same with my TiVo, so it's not just a HR20 thing.

#7 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Did the same thing with my VCRs way back when so it's not just a DVR thing.

It makes me LOL when people expect every single show to nuts on 0.000 seconds at the exact start time.

#8 OFFLINE   pdxguy

pdxguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Actually, the HR20 is off. I often duplicate recordings on the HR20 and the HR10-250, and the HR20 consistently misses the openings of programs while the tivo does not.

#9 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:55 PM

P.S. I'm starting to see that DTV has so many DAMN problems. Sure they might be small, such as the time being a couple seconds late, slow guide, audio sync issues, etc, but when there's so many of them...it just becomes disappointing!

Welcome to the world of high profit telecommunications!

At least the service is cheap, right?
HS
D* user since 11/94

#10 OFFLINE   California King

California King

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Welcome to the world of high profit telecommunications!

At least the service is cheap, right?

Lol, I hope you're being sarcastic..I can barely afford DTV.

Also, I honestly cannot believe that there is no way to solve this problem! Are you sure that calling DTV about this problem will not fix it?

Then again, maybe I should being lowering my expectations because most people obviously don't consider this to be a big deal...:(

#11 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

I have noticed that if I have a recording that starts without a recording proceeding it - then it seems to start on time and I don't miss the beginning of the show.

If I have a recording that starts right after another ends, then I miss the first 20 - 30 seconds. I'm guessing the DVR needs to do it's work in wrapping up the first recording before starting the second recording.

For instance -

Last night prior to 8:00 the DVR had not recorded anything in several hours. At 8:00 it recorded Survivor. The recording started well before CBS fired off the show. No problems.

At 8:30 I record 30 ROCK - again started well before, didn't miss anything.

At 9:00 the DVR was set to record both Grey's Anatomy and American Chopper - thus requiring usage of both tuners, that were both currently being used by Survivor and 30 ROCK. Both Grey's Anatomy and American Chopper started late - no big deal since Grey's Anatomy had a re-cap and AC has the "on this week's AC" teaser - so I didn't miss anything.

I'm noticing more and more that the delayed recordings seem to coincide with something being record right before.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Unless you've observed the clock changing late, it is folly to assume that the clock is running slow.

The best excuse I've heard so far is that the receiver waits to see that the program IDs itself as expected before it starts recording.

Were there thinking people involved in a situation like that, the program would begin recording on time and abort if it were determined that the ID was wrong.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

However, the receiver does not start to record until about 30 seonds after the specifiied time so something is wrong.

#14 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

However, the receiver does not start to record until about 30 seonds after the specifiied time so something is wrong.

Maybe what's wrong is the specifiied time is off by 30 seconds.

#15 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

To clarify, if you have a program scheduled to record at 8:00, the HR20 will not begin recording until 30 seconds after 8pm. Yes, the time programs are actually aired causes problems but the HR20 begins recording 30 seconds or so after the specified time.

#16 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

Were there thinking people involved in a situation like that, the program would begin recording on time and abort if it were determined that the ID was wrong.

I nominate harsh to be part of the DirecTV DVR requirements team.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#17 OFFLINE   California King

California King

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, thankfully some of my shows recap what happened in the last episode, but most of them, like the office, start off w/o recaps. What I'm going to do is put a 1 min padding on my favorite shows because it takes way too long to pad each show I want to record. Thankfully, it's only 20 seconds and not 5 minutes...

But seriously, DTV needs to have better customer service and LISTEN and have a solution for what people are having problems with...because it seems like all they care about is how many HD channels they have and use millions of dollars on commercials.

EDIT: Well, I guess a simple reset helped a lot. It's only 5-6 seconds late now!

#18 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Lol, I hope you're being sarcastic..I can barely afford DTV.

They got you.... now let's hear you squeak.

Also, I honestly cannot believe that there is no way to solve this problem! Are you sure that calling DTV about this problem will not fix it?

I hear you squeaking! Now if you could only squeak to the right people -- the CSRs have a hard time figuring out what a DVR is.

Then again, maybe I should being lowering my expectations because most people obviously don't consider this to be a big deal...:(

I beg your pardon... this kind of BS is a VERY BIG DEAL.... but try getting something done about it.
HS
D* user since 11/94

spam firewall