Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to degass HR21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mgauss7

mgauss7

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

I just purchased my HR21 unit. At first, with my old 10-250 unit, it smelled a lot of solder for a few days. I am sensitive to that smell of new electronics. I wonder if the new HR21's smell less.

I was thinking of degassing it by plugging it in for a few days in another room where I will not smell it. But just by plugging it in -- won't it just go to sleep in 1 minute? Is there a way to keep it "going" or "awake" so that it it going at full tilt while not connected to the dish or to the TV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Is this a Direct TV receiver? If it is, you should post this in a Direct TV forum.

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

hello and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!!

the HR21 does not go into a standby or sleep mode on its own... when plugged in, the hard drive is functioning at all times... by turning the unit 'off'... the only difference is the outputs on the back no longer function... and the lights turn off... the unit is still 'running' though... if you think that by leaving it on for a few days will take care of the smell... i don't see any harm in doing so as many people leave their dvr in the 'on' position 24/7/365....
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

Never heard of someone ever being this sensative to new electronics smell.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

I actually like the smell. :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:03 PM

I actually like the smell. :grin:

haha... me too...

new electronics, new cars, and new shoes.... can't beat it...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

I thought that "degassing" was meant to be "degaussing" until I saw the OP's screen name.

#8 OFFLINE   mgauss7

mgauss7

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:24 PM

For your information, here are two diseases that are rare: Electromagnetic sensitivity syndrome and Chemical sensitivity syndrome. Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome (CSS) is more common. It is described at lenght in the movie "Safe" by Julianne Moore. There she is a rich housewife who finally falls to the floor convulsing at the dry cleaners. She later goes into communes for sensitive people.

Many people like used equipment cause it does not have that new car smell or new electronics smell (which by the way is emanating 600 cancer causing chemicals.)

Sensitivity to EMF (electromagnetic fields) is more rare. These people get headaches, anxiety, depression, pain, etc., from cell phones, TVs, LCDs, etc.

I am one of them. If you look in google for those syndromes you will find forums, support groups, etc.

CNN also did an article covering toxic dust from fire retardants in computers. Dell and Apple stopped using that fire retardant in 2003.

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

Never heard of someone ever being sensative to new electronics smell.

Me neither..
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

mgauss7,

Thanks for the primer. I certainly have never heard of anything like you described. As for putting in another room for a while. I believe that you can put it in another room and plug it in with no issues.

If you want it to boot properly, you will need at least one cable from the sat dish so that it can boot up into normal mode. It is likely that simply leaving it turned on (not fully booted) will be sufficient, the system will just be looking for the satellite connection for an extended period of time.

Good luck in your situation .. Sounds like you would truly benefit from a venting system that could pull the odors out your media center and into the outside air.

Oh, and :welcome_s to the forums.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   bret4

bret4

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

I saw that show mgauss7. I hope you do not have as bad a reaction as the woman in that show had to things that most of us don't give a second thought to.
HR22-100 DVR

#12 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Sensitivity to EMF (electromagnetic fields) is more rare. These people get headaches, anxiety, depression, pain, etc., from cell phones, TVs, LCDs, etc.

The planet earth itself creates a static magnetic field of about 500mG. (Hence how the old fashioned compass needles move). So, in theory, you're never 'out' of an EMF. That would suck.
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

spam firewall