Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations for Future-Proof A/V Receivers?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

Onkyo TX-SR705 looks pretty attractive - 6-700 bucks, 3 HDMI and TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio.

Denon looks amazing, but pricey.

Anyone like Onkyo? I've never owned one but need to upgrade the old Sony.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

From what you say that's not bad but what about component inputs? How many digital inputs, optical vs. coax?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

There is nothing "future proof" in the A/V world. :nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

There are a very few technology devices I can think of that would be "future-proof",
particularly an A/V receiver with so many combinations of input/output connections,
not to mention the possibility of completely new surround-sound schema.

Television is a classic example, with consumer video connections going from 300Ω
bare antenna screws to 75Ω coaxial RF to baseline composite (RCA) to S-video to
component (RCA) to DVI-D&I to A/V combo HDMI and subsequent versions, thereof.

What's next? All you can do is buy the latest, greatest cutting-edge technology, then
sit back and worry about a newer, better gizmo hitting the market, but, then, the early
adopters will always pay a premium for the latest toys.

The real question, with most technology advancements being evolutionary rather than
revolutionary, is how much is it worth to you to always have the latest and greatest a/v
toy in your rack?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

From what you say that's not bad but what about component inputs? How many digital inputs, optical vs. coax?

3 comp in, 3 each toslink and coax audio, built-in upconvert for all SD video resulting in single hdmi output to tv for all devices
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#6 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

There are a very few technology devices I can think of that would be "future-proof",
particularly an A/V receiver with so many combinations of input/output connections,
not to mention the possibility of completely new surround-sound schema.

Television is a classic example, with consumer video connections going from 300Ω
bare antenna screws to 75Ω coaxial RF to baseline composite (RCA) to S-video to
component (RCA) to DVI-D&I to A/V combo HDMI and subsequent versions, thereof.

What's next? All you can do is buy the latest, greatest cutting-edge technology, then
sit back and worry about a newer, better gizmo hitting the market, but, then, the early
adopters will always pay a premium for the latest toys.

The real question, with most technology advancements being evolutionary rather than
revolutionary, is how much is it worth to you to always have the latest and greatest a/v
toy in your rack?

Totally agreed Nick. By futureproof I'm talking 4 years, and for today's needs, better decoding for bluray and simple a/v switching for multiple hdmi and legacy devices, which makes the onkyo look good for the price.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

There is nothing "future proof" in the A/V world. :nono2:

No kidding. I seem to have to get a new A/V receiver nearly every 4-5 years. My last purchase was a Yamaha 5960 and in less then a year I've already maxed out all the inputs. I'm tapped out already! :(

#8 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Funny you mention that bonscott. I've notice I've only used fewer inputs/outputs as time as gone on. Maybe I had the last of the analog behemoth A/V receivers. This Onkyo I'm looking at double what my current Sony has :lol:
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#9 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Onkyo TX-SR705 looks pretty attractive - 6-700 bucks, 3 HDMI and TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio.

I used an Onkyo-Integra SV-919THX for years and really enjoyed the sound quality and features. However, this model did not have DD/DTS decoders in it. That's the main reason I upgraded to the Denon (excellent as well!)

As a matter of fact, the Onkyo is still on my equipment shelf as I intend to use the audio amplifier sections in the future.
John

2 - HR20-700
1 - HR23-100
JVC D-ILA RS-1x projector, 1080p HDMI
Samsung HL-S5687W, 1080p HDMI
Toshiba 34" CRT, 720p Component
Denon AVR-5308, 7.1
Vandersteen
(2) 2CE
(2) VSM-1
(2) V2W
(2) 2Wq

#10 OFFLINE   pete4192

pete4192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

I've got the Onkyo 605...a step below the one you are looking at, but I thought the savings discount was worth it.
Receiving Equipment: Slimline 5LNB Dish | Radioshack Model 15-2187 Antenna mounted in attic
Main: HR21-100 () | Westinghouse LTV-37w2 | Harmony One | XBox 360 | PS2 | Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player | All via HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605
Secondary: R15-300() | Sharp 19in. CRT | DIRECTV DVR R10
Computer/Networking: 2 Acer laptops running MS Vista | 2 Airport Expresses | 5.0/768 DSL (2.4/768 Actual)

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

If you are looking to future proof your system, you might also want to take a look at Yamaha products. They cost quite a bit more than Onkyo, but they are well worth it.
The RX-V1800 lists for $1299 -- upscales to 1080p, has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs, 3 component video, 6 A/V inputs (all with S-Video), 5 optical and 2 coax digital audio inputs and 2 optical outputs, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Master Audio decoders, neural surround THX, XM ready, with XM HD surround.

It's several steps from Yamaha's high end (the RX-Z11, a 11.2 receiver listing at $5499.95)

For mor info, see: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#12 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:50 AM

I agree with the other posts saying that nothing is "Future Proof" with that said I have been a Yamaha fan for many, many years. Before getting in to Yamaha I bought a Sony Receiver and I have to say I was very disappointed with its performance. That was many, many years ago.

Recently I wanted to revamp my entire surround sound set up so the research began. I talked to friends and checked various website. This prompted me to give Sony another chance, I figured what the heck I can always return it if need be. I decided on the Sony STR-DG1000 but that was kind of hard to find so I went with the STR-DG1100 and I have to say that I am thrilled with it's performance. I would suggest checking this out to anyone that is considering upgrading or jumping in to the Home Theater arena.

Also worth mentioning is that I also upgraded my surround speakers to Cambridge Soundworks S300's (2 pairs) to give me a 7.1 setup and I have to say that the price / performance was WELL worth the money. I got 2 Pairs of their S300's for under $300 during their recent inventory reduction sale and to say that they are impressive is an understatement. While I know that this VERY subjective I would highly recommend checking them out to anyone that is looking to upgrade.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#13 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:05 AM

If you are looking to future proof your system, you might also want to take a look at Yamaha products. They cost quite a bit more than Onkyo, but they are well worth it.
The RX-V1800 lists for $1299 -- upscales to 1080p, has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs, 3 component video, 6 A/V inputs (all with S-Video), 5 optical and 2 coax digital audio inputs and 2 optical outputs, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Master Audio decoders, neural surround THX, XM ready, with XM HD surround.

It's several steps from Yamaha's high end (the RX-Z11, a 11.2 receiver listing at $5499.95)

For mor info, see: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/

I have an RX-V1800 and am very pleased with it.

Agreed, nothing is future proof. You'll be lucky if it stays up to date for five years.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

Funny you mention that bonscott. I've notice I've only used fewer inputs/outputs as time as gone on. Maybe I had the last of the analog behemoth A/V receivers. This Onkyo I'm looking at double what my current Sony has :lol:

LOL

I got this model because of the component inputs and number of optical inputs. It had 3 which I thought would be more then enough. I only needed 1 at the time and couldn't foresee a time I'd need more then 3. Well in less then 6 months I had all 3 filled up and I could use another. :eek2:

But the real wall was Dolby Digital inputs. It had 3 optical and 2 coax (1 coax shared with 1 optical). If it weren't for the ability to assign/mix-n-match video and audio inputs I'd be dead. I've maxed these out as well.

So my advice...get a receiver that has at least 1 or 2 more inputs then you need today.....then double it and get that model. :)

And I highly recommend Yamaha as well. Love it. Can't believe how long I had Sony crap. I just didn't know any better! :(

#15 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

I have the TX-SR674 and really like it. I've been an Onkyo owner for 20+ years. They build quality products at decent price point.

One thing, they do tend to run hotter than other receivers (even if you don't push them). So it's best that they are out in the open, or have a lot of breathing room if in a cabinet.

Steve
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

And consider a unit that can handle every single device you have as HDMI, even if they aren't today. With copy protection (crap) coming, all your component enabled devices today will be replaced with HDMI next go around.

Ouch. I'd need 5 minimum right now. (and if I double that...) :)

Happy Holidays!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Great posts and advice guys thanks!

The reason I'm looking at the Onkyo (was it the 705 model I said?) is 3 HDMI (which would leave 1 open today - lower models of Onkyo have only 2 HDMI), True HD and Master Audio/DTS-HD, and the price.

The Yamahas and Denons look awesome. My only concern is the cost against the technology changes, as mentioned above with all the responses to "future-proof".

At half the cost of Denon and Yamaha, I think Im leaning towards the Onkyo, but I'll look around a bit more in that price point.

Anyone else found good prices against features in that 600-700 range?

Also - those with 7.1 setups. is there anything I need to add to what I have now?:
2 Main
Center
Sub
2 Rear

Thanks again.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#18 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

I know everyone has their preference as to which brand they like and as I mentioned in a previous post I have been a Yamaha fan for many, many years however I did a lot of research when it came time for me to upgrade and I decided to give Sony a chance and I have to say that I am not disappointed at all.

My suggestion is to go to www.jr.com and order the Sony STR-DG1100 it is normally around $1000 but they have it on sale right now for $699 which is in your price range. I think you will find that it fits right in the Spec Range you are looking for. You could also try and find the STR-DG1000 for under $500 but it is NOT 1080p it is only 1080i.

Check out the specs of the 1100 here.
http://www.jr.com/JR...Product=4192500
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#19 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention, you can use everything that you have now speaker / subwoofer wise. If you want to upgrade to 7.1 then all you will need to do is add another set of surround speakers (identical would be best). These will give you a much better "Steering Effect". I tested my new setup in both 5.1 and 7.1 and 7.1 is much more impressive so it was well worth the money for the additional surround speakers.

Also keep in mind that the placement for 7.1 might be a little different then for 5.1. Check out the placement guides on www.Crutchfield.com or even in the Sony Manual which you can download from their website. I found that moving my rear surrounds made a huge difference as well.

#20 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

I have the DG1000 and love it, only thing I wish I would have waited 2 months for the DG1100. I could careless about most of the features, but the 1100 offers an extra HDMI input, an intergrated Sirius tuner and a digital media port to connect an iPod. I don't care about component, composite or Svideo inputs, the only two video sources I have are my DVD Player and cable box, both which have HDMI, but a third HDMI input would be nice for a game system maybe.

BTW - The DG1000 supports 1080p.

"Capture the excitement of the digital world with the STR-DG1000 7.1 A/V receiver. This device is designed to be a centralized hub for television, home theater, music and radio that can be transmitted to multiple rooms. The STR-DG1000 captures input from your audio and visual sources, including Blu-ray discs™, DVDs, CDs and portables, and optimizes each signal for the best possible aural and visual quality. The STR-DG1000 features two High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) inputs that are capable of transmitting resolutions up to 1080p, so every last bit of visual intelligence from a Blu-ray or DVD disc is vividly displayed."

http://www.sonystyle...ductId=11035461
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall