Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations for Future-Proof A/V Receivers?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

I stand corrected what I was referring to is the "Upconvert / Upscaling" which is only 1080i on the STR-DG1000 and 1080p on the STR-DG1100
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

I should have added to my earlier post that I've been an Onkyo user for about 30 years. I have 3 Onkyo receivers (One of which is part of a Home Theater in a Box 5.1 surround system, now residing in my den. I upgraded the center channel to an Infinity C25 -- a definite improvement. In my bedroom, I have an Onkyo TX-8011 stereo receiver, driving a pair of 47 year old AR-3 speakers that still sound great.
The oldest Onkyo is currently retired.

Whatever receiver you buy, it pays to have good speakers to get the best sound. As noted in my signature, my home theater system has all Paradigm speakers in a 6.1 configuration. The family room was prewired for 6.1, so I couldn't take advantage of the 7.1 capability of my Yamaha receiver.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#23 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

Onkyo TX-SR705 looks pretty attractive - 6-700 bucks, 3 HDMI and TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio.

Denon looks amazing, but pricey.

Anyone like Onkyo? I've never owned one but need to upgrade the old Sony.

If one of your main concerns in getting a "future proof" receiver is the new lossless codecs in HDM (True HD and DTS HD MA) things may go in reverse a bit in the near future. Right now people are getting receivers that can decode those codecs. (I just got a Sony 5300ES for that very reason.) But BR and HD DVD players are probably going to move to Advanced Audio Decoding. Basically that means that the sound may be a seperate track from the voices, so that any number of alternate voice tracks could be mixed in. Those tracks could be additional languages, commentary, both PG-13 and R rated versions, or anything else. Those separate tracks can't be bitstreamed and the same time, so they'll have to be mixed in the player and sent as PCM. In other words, decoding in the receiver may be unnecessary in the future.

For right now, though, to enjoy DTS HD MA you need a player to bitstream it and a receiver that can decode it.

Some additional things to think about.

#24 OFFLINE   Altcool

Altcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

Check marantz out I have the 8500 and its awesome My parents have an analog Marantz thats 25+ years old and its still working like new. Their receivers are quality. 3 year warranty.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp
AU9 SWM16 HR21 HR23 HR24 HR24 H20 H24 H24 R22 D12 AM21
Wish List: HR44, SWM32

Protected By... spam firewall...And...