Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 occasionally records black silence

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Throckmorton

Throckmorton

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hello and greetings.

I have an HR21 about 6 weeks old. A couple of weeks ago it learned a rather disturbing trick. It will record a scheduled show, but when I try to play it back there are 60 minutes of black screen and silence. There is nothing at all there, but it seems to play for the right amount of time.

It did this with both Mythbusters and Dirty Job both 2 weeks ago and last week. This week, however, both shows recorded fine. This week, The Biggest Looser was a big loss. 2 hours of nada.

This week's episode of Chuck did something else rather strangely. Any time after 24 minutes into the episode, hitting either the skip ahead or back buttons jumped me back to the 24 minute mark.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
HR34-700, HR21-200 + AM-21, HR21-100, HR20-700
SlimLine 5 Dish w/SWM-16
Sony 60A3000 60" XSBR 1080P & Sony 40A4100 40" LCD 1080P
Yamaha RX-V2700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hello and greetings.

I have an HR21 about 6 weeks old. A couple of weeks ago it learned a rather disturbing trick. It will record a scheduled show, but when I try to play it back there are 60 minutes of black screen and silence. There is nothing at all there, but it seems to play for the right amount of time.

It did this with both Mythbusters and Dirty Job both 2 weeks ago and last week. This week, however, both shows recorded fine. This week, The Biggest Looser was a big loss. 2 hours of nada.

This week's episode of Chuck did something else rather strangely. Any time after 24 minutes into the episode, hitting either the skip ahead or back buttons jumped me back to the 24 minute mark.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi, I am sorry you are having trouble with your HR 21. I don't know as much about the technical stuff on the forum as a lot of others do so hopefully someone else will see your post and be of more help. But I have experienced the "black silence" you mention, and I've found that sometimes a red button or menu reset of your DVR will make them playable if you haven't already deleted them. You might try it if you haven't. I don't mean to talk down to you but I don't know how familiar you are with the DVR so I will explain, the red button is located behind a drop down panel on the front right corner of the unit itself, where your access card is.

Or go to menu, setup and scroll down the list, second to the bottom on the left side should say reset, DON'T reset everything or you will lose your recordings, just reset receiver. I don't have an HR21 I have the HR 20 but I believe the settings are located in the same place for a menu reset. Perhaps some kind forum member can correct me and be of further help to you. Good luck.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#3 OFFLINE   Throckmorton

Throckmorton

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I only had Tuesday's Biggest Loser episode still on the box and I tried a RBR this morning. It didn't recover the show. :( I'll try it again next time though. Or maybe there won't be a next time.

I've had a Sony SAT-W60 UTV since September 2001 and it has never done some of the wierd things the HR21 does.
HR34-700, HR21-200 + AM-21, HR21-100, HR20-700
SlimLine 5 Dish w/SWM-16
Sony 60A3000 60" XSBR 1080P & Sony 40A4100 40" LCD 1080P
Yamaha RX-V2700

spam firewall