Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek Enterprise

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

I've been enjoying very much the HD presentations of Enterprise on HDNet. I note now though that they seem to stop with the episodes ending in 2003. I see newer episodes being shown on the new SciFiHD channel. Does anyone know if those will be available to HDNet in HD soon?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

I've been wanting to see the finale in HD, I remember reading it was cool to see TNG parts in HD.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hey, Stuart, why don't you move these over to the Star Trek thread?

HDNet has been working their way through the series on Monday night. They are in the middle of the third season right now with a new episode every Monday. The mid-day showings get to where ever the Monday night shows are up to and then reboot back to Broken Bow.

We'll start the fourth season this winter but it will be sometime next summer or maybe even fall until we get to These Are The Voyages, which is that last episode.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Oh, I get it. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:43 AM

You're welcome.

I just noticed that today's (Sat - 12/8) mid-day Enterprise episode on HDNet is Twilight. If you haven't seen it, you should. It may be ENT's finest moment. It certainly is classic Trek, an action packed episode built upon an allegory.

Make sure you pad your recording if you record it. The opening teaser ranks up there with great Trek teasers, like TNG's destruction of the E-D in Cause and Effect or the F-104 closing in on the NCC-1701 in the Earth's atmosphere in TOS' Tomorrow is Yesterday.

Just to make the cycle complete, it was directed by Levar Burton. He did an excellent job.

#6 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

I'm still not sure why Enterprise didn't make it. I watched its original run, and have been catching the HD versions on HDnet. The show had so much potiential and was really maturing during its final year.

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm still not sure why Enterprise didn't make it. I watched its original run, and have been catching the HD versions on HDnet. The show had so much potiential and was really maturing during its final year.

I watched Enterprise from it's premiere up until "A Night in Sick Bay", when Archer stayed in Sick Bay with his ailing dog, and that was the last straw for me and I gave up on the show. The writing was weak, the acting was weak, the stories were weak ... and I finally had it, after I thought about what I had just watched - 45 minutes of dren about a captain being worried about his dog. Oh brother!

So I stopped watching - for good.

That is, until HD-NET started repeating them in HD. I started watching it from the beginning, Broken Bow, this time deciding to stick through it, because I heard th later seasons were good to very good. Since I had not seen them, this was my chance to catch up - in HD even. The story has definitely picked up with the introduction of the Xindi, but I still have to say ... the acting? For the most part ... weak! :)

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

The first and second season, but especially the second season, of ENT had their share of down right clunkers, although A Night In Sickbay wasn't one of those for me. But other second season episodes like The Seventh and Vanishing Point stunk, although it was the Borg episode, Regeneration, that officially jumped the shark in my book. Not only do we have the human race introduced early to the Borg but Phlox's technology can free him of their nanoprobes? Come on, doctors couldn't do that 200 years later. How can he do that now? And to get around the premature introduction of the Borg by simply never using the word "Borg" once, that dodge stunk, too. Were Berman and Braga so creatively bankrupt of new, good ideas that all they could think about doing was a Borg episode? I guess so. :rolleyes:

By the time ENT started to get good in the third season, and finally achieved some consistent quality by the fourth season, it was way too late.

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

Come on, doctors couldn't do that 200 years later. How can he do that now? And to get around the premature introduction of the Borg by simply never using the word "Borg" once, that dodge stunk, too. Were Berman and Braga so creatively bankrupt of new, good ideas that all they could think about doing was a Borg episode? I guess so. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the Borg have the capability to adjust to just about any danger. They adjust to the phaser frequencies. Since they communicate with each other, is it possible that the Borg made adjustments that made Dr. Phlox's cure not work anymore.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

I watched Enterprise from it's premiere up until "A Night in Sick Bay", when Archer stayed in Sick Bay with his ailing dog, and that was the last straw for me and I gave up on the show. The writing was weak, the acting was weak, the stories were weak ... and I finally had it, after I thought about what I had just watched - 45 minutes of dren about a captain being worried about his dog. Oh brother!

So I stopped watching - for good.

That is, until HD-NET started repeating them in HD. I started watching it from the beginning, Broken Bow, this time deciding to stick through it, because I heard th later seasons were good to very good. Since I had not seen them, this was my chance to catch up - in HD even. The story has definitely picked up with the introduction of the Xindi, but I still have to say ... the acting? For the most part ... weak! :)

Drew,

I gotta agree...and it was such a good premise for series. The gap between the present and Kirk was just waiting to be described and they just didn't get it done.

They did get themselves a much more attractive Vulcan than Spock though :)

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

For now, let's kick this around in its own thread.

I actually liked the first and last seasons of Enterprise, but it was a real chore in the middle. I think the first season really had a great spirit, but I kept waiting for the Xindi to bllow up the Enterprise, which I figured was the most likely explanation for the "fact" that no one ever talked about NX-01 in the "future".

The last season was so much fun because you know, you got to see the things you always wanted to, like smooth-foreheaded Klingons, Orion slave girls, and the mirror universe.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

As a question?
is HDnet now showing missing episodes? or just the repeats?
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#13 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

I'm not sure of your question but everything HDNet is showing was previously broadcast. There are no new episodes under production and everything that was produced already aired when Enterprise was in its first run.

#14 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

I'm not sure of your question but everything HDNet is showing was previously broadcast. There are no new episodes under production and everything that was produced already aired when Enterprise was in its first run.

Gotcha, didn't know if they was showing un-aired shows or not.
thanks for the clarification :)
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#15 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

Jump the shark entry on enterprise>
http://www.jumpthesh...&chartOnly=true

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:52 AM

^ :D

I hadn't seen that. It is a good poll. If the Borg hadn't have done it, then the evil alien space Nazis would have. Both ENT and Voyager did two parters with evil alien space Nazis. That tells you how lost for good, new ideas Berman and Braga were.

Ever notice how Janeway sounded just like a Munchkin?

#17 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

Sorry I don't have time to read this thread...

I am about to hit the road (a 4 hour slow trip in ice covered roads)...

I have been psyched ever since this came on HDNet. I watched this in SD and when it came onto HDNet I record it and watch it when I am able. This is the only show, BTW, I am usually <= 1 week behind on. I am bummed they stopped it after season 4 though...

I'll read the thread when I get home later...
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

the Borg have the capability to adjust to just about any danger.

It took my morning shower to figure out where this is wrong. I suddenly remembered these were 24th century Borg that Picard followed back to Earth's past in First Contact. They had seen the Federation's best already and had adapted to that.

No, it was just a plain bad idea, as bad as bringing back humorous Ferengi in the first season episode, Acquisition. That one stunk, too.

I like Enterprise. I own the DVDs for seasons 3 & 4. But B&B kept thinking interesting story telling came from making the main characters not be themselves. Let's make T'Pol cry. Let's make Trip pregnant. Let's make Archer a wus. Archer's character development shows everything that was wrong with Enterprise. Bakula's Archer only became interesting in the third season when the writers finally allowed him to grow a set of balls. Occasionally in the first two seasons his testicles would descend but as soon as they did, whoops, back up they went as Bakula, in that awful sing-songy voice he can put on, would sweet talk his way out of a conflict. I don't blame the actor. Captain Quantum was good enough. It was the fault of the writers and producers.

No, interesting story telling is letting a character change and grow. Didn't these guys ever see an episode of Deep Space Nine from its third season on? When Archer finally understood that it's a big, bad galaxy out there and was allowed to be a jerk, he became much more interesting. Kirk was a cowboy driven by his passion. Picard was the diplomat. Sisko became a wartime leader and a prophet. Janeway was best written when she was a renegade, the pariah of the Delta quadrant. Enterprise's first two seasons? I see Archer as Charlie Brown with a temper.

#19 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

Enterprise was really good in the first season. It was fascinating to see the history of Starfleet, with homage being paid to events that took place in the original series. I enjoyed the temporal cold war (though others that I knew who watched did not) because I enjoy everything time travel. By the end of season one, I was willing to rank it ahead of Voyager. For two weeks during that first season, I was filling out an official Nielsen ratings diary, so I probably helped to contribute to its good ratings that year. :D

In my humble opinion, the show jumped the shark in the second season. There was very little Starfleet history. There was almost no temporal cold war. It seemed like every episode was some variation on the story of Archer or Archer and a crewmate being abducted and tortured by an alien race, and then the Enterprise swoops in to rescue him/them at the last minute. That might work once or twice a season, but it happened so often that it became predictable and redundant. Not only that, but there was nothing about those stories that was unique to Enterprise. Those episodes could have been filmed in any Star Trek series, with any cast. Enterprise was at its best when it was telling the story of Starfleet history, and there was virtually none of that in the second season. I was very disappointed, and you have no idea how much it breaks my heart to say that. :(

The whole Xindi war in season three was interesting and even compelling from time to time, but the fact remains that whole war could have been set at any time in any series with any cast.

Enterprise finally got back to telling the history of Starfleet in season four, but by then it was too late. The audience was gone except for the hard-cores like me. I thought the finale was very lame. (I really wanted to hear Archer's speech at the Federation's formation.) For me, the true finale was the two-parter preceding it about the isolationists that wanted to expel all aliens from Earth.

I thought that the character development on Enterprise was very weak. We knew very little about most of them, so there was little reason to care about what happened to them. This is in stark contrast to the complex, four-dimensional characters on Deep Space Nine, which in my opinion is the greatest Star Trek series of them all, but that's a subject for another time.

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

I've been enjoying very much the HD presentations of Enterprise on HDNet. I note now though that they seem to stop with the episodes ending in 2003.

They're progressing through season three. Only the Monday 9pm showing is "current". This week's episode is #312, Chosen Realm.

spam firewall