Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem skipping ahead to bookmarks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PR Buick

PR Buick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

I thought that we were supposed to be able to press and hold the :30sec skip button (HR-20 700) to move to the next bookmark. I've tried this over and over, and all it does is move me to the end of a recording (ignoring the bookmarks I've set.) Is there a trick to this, or am I going off bad info?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

I thought that we were supposed to be able to press and hold the :30sec skip button (HR-20 700) to move to the next bookmark. I've tried this over and over, and all it does is move me to the end of a recording (ignoring the bookmarks I've set.) Is there a trick to this, or am I going off bad info?

Try press and hold for a couple of seconds only. Alternatively, you can go to the Quick Menu and select the bookmark you want. I find this method to be faster.
John

2 - HR20-700
1 - HR23-100
JVC D-ILA RS-1x projector, 1080p HDMI
Samsung HL-S5687W, 1080p HDMI
Toshiba 34" CRT, 720p Component
Denon AVR-5308, 7.1
Vandersteen
(2) 2CE
(2) VSM-1
(2) V2W
(2) 2Wq

#3 OFFLINE   PR Buick

PR Buick

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Try press and hold for a couple of seconds only. Alternatively, you can go to the Quick Menu and select the bookmark you want. I find this method to be faster.

Thanks--I actually just noticed the menu option. That might be easier. I've tried holding down the button for less time, but it didn't work. I also got it to work sporadically by holding down the FF button. (50/50 success rate)

#4 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Thanks--I actually just noticed the menu option. That might be easier. I've tried holding down the button for less time, but it didn't work. I also got it to work sporadically by holding down the FF button. (50/50 success rate)

Skip to mark worked pretty well for me with my remotes on IR, but when I changed them to RF, it became pretty unreliable.

#5 OFFLINE   millercentral

millercentral

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Press and hold is a terrible user interface for remotes -- not responsive and prone to error, especially with unversal remotes. I hope they will consider mapping this functionality to another behavior.

#6 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

I believe press and hold FF is the way to skip to tick or bookmark. Sounds like the press and hold 30 sec button is functioning how it should.

#7 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

What you were doing is to get to the end of the buffer just like what happened :D Holding the skip back button will go to the beginning of the buffer. The tic mark advance is 3 seconds with FF or RW. On my harmony it is 3 seconds then a quick single press. But it works every time.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

To skip to bookmarks, you use the FF and REW buttons, not the 30 second slip/skip button. The bookmarks are treated like a tick and if there are ticks in the way, you will stop at them.

As you discovered later in the thread, the menu method is more reliable and works much better. You can select any bookmark in the recording, not just the next one and the ticks don't get in the way.

I would like to see the ticks listed in that menu because the skip to tick method is horrible.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall