Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Searching for signal on Satellite In 2"... But nothing's plugged in there.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SkelPaff

SkelPaff

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

For some reason, ever since around 0x18A, I've had this recurring problem where the DVR keeps thinking there's a cable plugged in to Sat 2, when there isn't one. Running a second cable isn't really an option to that room, and it seems to be a software/hardware issue regardless that DTV needs to fix.

I've called DTV, and they had me run through all the steps, but that got nowhere; sometimes a unplug/replug will fix the problem and it will stay fixed until the next reset, but it can take 2 or 3 power cycles to get the receiver to recognize that there's nothing plugged in to Sat 2. The CSR also mentioned that it was kind of pointless to return the box for a new one if it was a software issue (since it just started with 0x18A), since any new box I got would have the exact same issue.

*sigh*

I've seen another person mention this issue, so I know I'm not alone, but I am getting really frustrated, since it takes 10-15 minutes x 2 or 3 restarts when all I want to do is watch TV.

Is there some way to disable Satellite In 2 on the HR20-100 through software? Or, is this bug fixed in newer software? Or, do I have a hardware failure that started coincidentally with the update before last?

Any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

For some reason, ever since around 0x18A, I've had this recurring problem where the DVR keeps thinking there's a cable plugged in to Sat 2, when there isn't one. Running a second cable isn't really an option to that room, and it seems to be a software/hardware issue regardless that DTV needs to fix.

I've called DTV, and they had me run through all the steps, but that got nowhere; sometimes a unplug/replug will fix the problem and it will stay fixed until the next reset, but it can take 2 or 3 power cycles to get the receiver to recognize that there's nothing plugged in to Sat 2. The CSR also mentioned that it was kind of pointless to return the box for a new one if it was a software issue (since it just started with 0x18A), since any new box I got would have the exact same issue.

*sigh*

I've seen another person mention this issue, so I know I'm not alone, but I am getting really frustrated, since it takes 10-15 minutes x 2 or 3 restarts when all I want to do is watch TV.

Is there some way to disable Satellite In 2 on the HR20-100 through software? Or, is this bug fixed in newer software? Or, do I have a hardware failure that started coincidentally with the update before last?

Any help is appreciated.

Ummm, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason your tuner is searching for satellite is that it swaps tuners with channel changes, so it is looking for a signal from that input:)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Do you have your HR20 setup for 2 SAT inputs? If not, no idea why it would even try the SAT 2 input. I am guessing you have it set to 2 inputs but only have SAT 1 connected.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure it's a software problem. CSRs tend to blame a lot of things on software.
It may have started with the update, but to update the box needed to reset. During the boot-up, the box auto detects the SAT feeds. Sometimes the box needs to be disconnected from the power for 10 min. I had to do this to one of mine this week, before it would boot correctly.
While I wouldn't call your problem "common" [software], I have read where someone needs to connect a BBC to the SAT #2 with no coax, to have the box realize there is no SAT feed there.
You might try this and reboot.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Sheila4645

Sheila4645

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

Any help is appreciated.

Repeat the guided setup through the menu and choose the option of only 1 cable connected to Sat 1, this should correct the issue.
Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

#6 OFFLINE   SkelPaff

SkelPaff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

Repeat the guided setup through the menu and choose the option of only 1 cable connected to Sat 1, this should correct the issue.

There is no such option. At no point during the setup can you choose which cables are connected; the system does this automatically, and does it wrong. This is the crux of the problem; the engineers assumed that the auto-detection routine was infallible, and left no way for it to be overridden.

After double-checking, I was wrong on the model, it's a HR20-700, not a 100, so maybe the option was removed for that model.

I'm going to try and hunt down the second BBC I threw in a box somewhere, see if that makes any difference.

#7 OFFLINE   belunos

belunos

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Yea, when the second tuner went out on my old device, I had to keep the bbc plugged in for it to stop using the second tuner. Well, that, and unplug it for about 10 mins and rerun the setup.

#8 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

It has been reported to use the Sat 2 input, the HR should detect this on startup, worth a try.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   SkelPaff

SkelPaff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

Ah-hah! Sticking the BBC on there seemed to have done the trick; I was even able to RBR (which always triggered the problem before) and the box recognized just the single cable. Thanks veryoldschool, that was so counter-intuitive I'd have probably never tried it on my own.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Ah-hah! Sticking the BBC on there seemed to have done the trick; I was even able to RBR (which always triggered the problem before) and the box recognized just the single cable. Thanks veryoldschool, that was so counter-intuitive I'd have probably never tried it on my own.

I'm glad it helped.
I can't take credit for it, other than reading and remembering that it helped someone else before.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...