Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CAUTION!!! on Sky Angel IPTV costs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

I sent a letter of inquiry re: IPTV to Sky Angel over a month ago, which they never answered. Their agents initially gave different answers to questions I asked on the phone. However, as per several IPTV Sky Angel agents I spoke with via phone yesterday, I find the following:

1. An IPTV box is needed to receive Sky Angel on each television set you own*. (We have a television in our living room, recreation room, and two small ones: 1 in kitchen and 1 in sewing room.) So, if you own and want to operate 2 TV’s = $300, 4 TV’s = $600.00 for the boxes alone.

*If you have a wireless internet setup, you can use one box for more than one TV, but both will have to watch the same channel.

Many of us already have put out a large amount of money for the satellite dishes and receivers to get Sky Angel in the first place. (In our case, over $400 just two years ago).

(An S.A. agent informed me that we could always “unhook the box and move it between different TV sets”! Yipes! Again, that means everyone watches the same channel, and that’s a pain.)

2. Here’s the REAL “ripoff”, (and I clarified this with the agent several times): Yesterday, a Sky Angel IPTV agent informed me via phone that we would need to pay the monthly rate, ($14.99, $19.99, or $24.99) FOR EACH BOX WE PURCHASE for a television set! That means that with the SMALLEST Faith package only, our cost would be approximately $30 per month for the use of 2 televisions - $60 per month if we wanted to be able to use all four of our television sets. If we went for the FULL FAMILY VALUES PACK, we would pay between $50 (2 TV’s) and $100.00 (4 TVs) PER MONTH for service!

With our satellite system and two receivers, we can now watch TV in the house on two different channels, on any of the four TV’s, for a total, (including local service with DISH), of $24.00 per month! Hubby can watch sports and I can watch whatever I wish…. A good thing! :lol: Of course, unless we switch to DISH Network services entirely, that will end with Sky Angel's IPTV.

3. In August, 2007, when we received the bill to pay for our Sky Angel Service a year ahead, (non-refundable as per small print), no one bothered to inform us of an upcoming change that would dramatically alter our service. Now, we cannot get a refund on any money until, according to the agent, “it is Sky Angel’s fault” that we cannot get their service on satellite. So, if we cancel S.A. now and move on to DISH Family, we lose NINE months of our subscription fee with S.A.!!! We'll stick with them until the end of the first quarter of 2008 out of necessity, therefore, but as a matter of principle dislike doing so.

One post on a Sky Angel forum also pointed out that not everyone has broadband internet service. They will have to decide whether to pay more for that service, or give up Sky Angel. Additionally, many of us with multiple TV sets do not have our internet connections in every room and would have to pay for more lines to be run, (in our case that is not even feasible in one room with a wall phone).

From all of the other negative postings I’ve seen around the internet regarding Sky Angel's corporate decisions, and from our personal experience, it is obvious that these people are NOT service oriented. This appears to be an example of a "Christian" business that is going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of many of its customers. How sad!

Corky

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

something else to consider is that the more tvs the higher the speed of internet needed. eg 1.5 is the MINIMUM needed to run skyangel. if you are running your computer a video game or more tvs at the same time you need even higher speed internet!

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

It seems that the things SkyAngel IPTV needs is:
1) A mirroring fee that allows the service on a second receiver within the same household for $5 (the way it is with SkyAngel satellite).
2) Some sort of receiver purchase program that spreads out the cost of the box over a year to make it more affordable.

Things I am not holding my breath for:
* A rebate program that pays for the box over a period of time (no deep pockets for this ... these kind of programs are paid for out of profits which I expect SA will not make)
* A lease program for receivers (requiring them to buy a lot of receivers ... again needing to recoup their costs over time)
* A discount program for existing subscribers ... the least they could do is apply the remaining value of annual plans and some value of lifetime plans toward the cost of the receiver (I would not expect much ... again, they don't have the bankroll to invest in gaining subscribers the way a typical business would)

The bandwidth issue is important. Trying to watch more than one IPTV service at a time will lead to issues in many homes.

One thing that is within the realm of possible ... a two output IPTV tuner. One would still need the bandwidth to watch two shows at the same time, but having two outputs would serve a lot of households and make the cost lower for homes with more than one TV that needed connected.

#4 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thanks you two! I never thought of that aspect of the IPTV boxes. That would, of course, mean a higher monthly expenditure for higher speed I.S.

Every family I know has at least two TV's, so it appears that options are very limited for having more than one TV operating at the same time.

We have a roof antenna we used to use for local stations - now have the DISH for local and another for Sky Angel.

So can a household operate on an external antenna on one or more TV 's (It's still wired for that) - just getting locals on those, and just use the IPTV for a main TV?

Or, if we would be allowed to keep only our local DISH service at $10.99 per month, I suppose we could use 3 of our TV's to view our 4 local stations and have our main TV hooked up to Sky Angel.

It would all be a pain, but that way we could watch some Sky Angel programming if we wished - and use the other TV's got local stations via antenna.

We're not convinced that we want anything to do with them at this point - especially due to the fact that any way we go with Sky Angel is going to cost us for the box and in higher fees. ... just looking for ideas.

Other ideas?

Thanks a bunch for your input.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

So can a household operate on an external antenna on one or more TV 's (It's still wired for that) - just getting locals on those, and just use the IPTV for a main TV?

Yes. The channels you can actually receive over the air will vary. You can check antennaweb.org to see what is in your area.

Or, if we would be allowed to keep only our local DISH service at $10.99 per month, I suppose we could use 3 of our TV's to view our 4 local stations and have our main TV hooked up to Sky Angel.

That would be the price of locals only service on ONE Dish Network receiver. Add another $5 for each additional receiver.

Getting your locals for free "over the air" would be best - if you can receive them.

Having IPTV on one TV is pretty much what SA is aiming for. If they wanted to serve multiple TVs they would have a cheap "mirroring" fee instead of treating every receiver as an individual subscription.

I'm still undecided on IPTV ... I'd like to have the content available but dropped SA about 18 months ago when my annual subscription expired. After they dropped SpiritTV it wasn't worth the $ per month to me, even with the convenience of having it on my E* receiver. There are a lot of things I can have for $15 per month (like a years worth of service on my furnace including a nice discount on parts).

#6 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Yes. The channels you can actually receive over the air will vary. You can check antennaweb.org to see what is in your area.

Yes, we did that before we got Sky Angel and received the 3 local major networks - NBC, CBS and ABC - with fairly good reception. We are required to use a lower height antenna due to condo assn. rules, and purchased a nice one that is like airplane wings. Technical description, huh? :) We have another network (Fox) that comes in okay except in bad weather as it's station is about 60 miles away. Our local religious TV station just didn't come in well with our antenna.

I'm still undecided on IPTV ... I'd like to have the content available but dropped SA about 18 months ago when my annual subscription expired. After they dropped SpiritTV it wasn't worth the $ per month to me, even with the convenience of having it on my E* receiver. There are a lot of things I can have for $15 per month (like a years worth of service on my furnace including a nice discount on parts).

I guess that does sound practical. Having a working furnace is a bit of a priority. LOL I agree that the cost to watch TV is ridiculous and there are plenty of good places that money can go. Perhaps the delay in any refund to us is a good thing - gives us time to pray about which direction we want to go.

What is E* that everyone refers to?

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

What is E* that everyone refers to?

E* = Echostar = Dish Network. Although Echostar and Dish Network are becoming separate companies, but that's not important here.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#8 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

You would need to check with dish. I though you had to subscribe to either skyangel or a dish package in order to purchase the locals...........

After watching skyangel canada fold with no warning I wold hesitate to invest in equipment wiht them.. also it appears they are requiring credit card or bank draft for IpTV.
Go with credit card, its easier to stop/dispute than a bank draft

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

Having a working furnace is a bit of a priority. LOL I agree that the cost to watch TV is ridiculous and there are plenty of good places that money can go. Perhaps the delay in any refund to us is a good thing - gives us time to pray about which direction we want to go.

OT, but Saturday I woke up to a broken furnace. The repair was nearly a thousand dollars. The furnace company offers an "annual contract" of $15 per month that pays for three checkup visits per year plus gives a discount on parts when there is a need. The discount was enough that I actually SAVED $2 by signing a year contract when he was here for the repair over what it would have been if I just said no to the contract.

Every penny is important. I have the Dish equipment in my house ... it is all paid for or leased as part of the Dish service and has many more channels of interest than the SA channels. The annual rate for SA wasn't bad when there were a couple channels worth watching. But their channel changes, price increase and now major change of requiring a new box and better internet service? Getting me back is going to be a hard sell.

You would need to check with dish. I though you had to subscribe to either skyangel or a dish package in order to purchase the locals...........

You can subscribe to locals for $5.99 per month without subscribing to a minimum level program package. Dish will also add a $5 fee to the account for not having a minimum level programming package making the cost $10.99.

#10 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

OT, but Saturday I woke up to a broken furnace. The repair was nearly a thousand dollars. The furnace company offers an "annual contract" of $15 per month that pays for three checkup visits per year plus gives a discount on parts when there is a need. The discount was enough that I actually SAVED $2 by signing a year contract when he was here for the repair over what it would have been if I just said no to the contract.

So, you didn't have a contract before, and the company let you sign one the day the repair was needed? Or, you already had one. Either way, you came out well! My stuff sometimes dies the week after the contract or warranty runs out. LOL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...