Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Matrix on A&E HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

I recorded the Matrix yesterday. All I have to say is censorship is getting out of hand. During the movie when somone would say "s**T" they would dub in "shucks". After hearing shucks 3 or 4 times I deleted the show.
" Oh shucks Im out of ammo" . Now that tv's and dish and cable receivers have child blocks installed we dont need to censor movies anymore.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

It's the advertisers. Some irrational person could be flipping through and hear the evil word in question cause a stink. The advertisers of the program and channel do not want to be associated with any negative publicity this may attract because of irrational folks like those in and support the PTC and the like. A&E, TBS, TNT, FX, et al are not the place for movies, that's why I have all the movie channels and a DVD player. The censorship is absolutely disgusting and you'll never catch me watching some cut up movie. The dubs are the worst. This is going off the topic of cable channels, but I remember maybe about 8 years ago, ABC and CTV both aired Home Alone on the same day and time. I flipped back and forth between the two constantly, you'd be amazed at how much a PG rated film is edited on OTA TV here in the US, but shown in it's original form in Canada.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

I was watching an apparently sanitized version of Repo Man one time. I couldn't understand why they kept calling people 'melon farmers'... I laughed out loud when it finally hit me what they must REALLY have been saying.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

OK the language did make me laugh a little. But I thought the transfer looked good, although the HD did make the effects look a little cheesier than I recalled.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

A&E lets that word through on their version of Sopranos. But they dub in "friggen" for the obvious. Or sometimes things are "fouled" up.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#6 OFFLINE   Kenkong586

Kenkong586

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Why couldn't they broadcast it in 5.1 sound? 2.o for The Matrix just doesn't cut it for me.

#7 OFFLINE   Kurgan

Kurgan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

This is why I enjoy when movies like these are on HBOHD.

Another reason I can't wait for Fox Movie Classics to perhaps get with the HD program. They frequently air movies uncensored and uncut. I remember several months ago watching Revenge of the Nerds and was shocked to hear all of the foul language and even see the nudity without any censoring.
Samsung HL-R4667W 46" DLP HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR702S THX Select 7.1 Receiver
DirecTV HR20-700
Philips DivX-certified Progressive Scan DVD player
XBox Media Center
Xbox 360
Playstation 2

#8 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

This movie was filmed in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so there should've been black bars across the top if it was displayed in the original aspect ratio. Too bad A&E also felt the need to stretch the image vertically so people didn't see the black bars. That type of stretchovision is just as bad as horizontal strechovision in my opinion.

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

The ad supported channels do not want to classify their shows as MA for obvious reasons. The more eyes the better. The Premiums that do not have ads have no problem with the MA rating. I would think they thrive with the MA ratings.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

This movie was filmed in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so there should've been black bars across the top if it was displayed in the original aspect ratio. Too bad A&E also felt the need to stretch the image vertically so people didn't see the black bars. That type of stretchovision is just as bad as horizontal strechovision in my opinion.

Funny, I didn't notice a vertical stretch, I thought they cropped off the sides. Maybe I was more tired than I thought!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Funny, I didn't notice a vertical stretch, I thought they cropped off the sides. Maybe I was more tired than I thought!

Its not a stretch! Its a crop. There is a big difference. A stretch, as in taking a 4x3 to 16x9 is really bad. But cropping left and right on a wider aspect ration to fit 16x9 means loosing some of the image, but what is left is not distorted. Its more like a zoom in. I would prefer OAR on everything, but I can live with 2:1 movies being cropped to 16x9, but can't stand 4x3 stretched to 16x9.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...