Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New DirecTV creative financing??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Punkitup

Punkitup

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:42 AM

This might be slightly complicated; so excuse me if I don't explain it properly. This isn't a scheme to blatantly rob anyone, just an attempt to understand the system and see if there is a legitimate or semi-legitimate loophole I can use to my advantage.

The Choice -

• We are going to be first time DBS subscribers.
  • We have decided to go with DirecTV.
  • We are starting with Total Choice Plus w/Locals & TiVo service.

The Layout -

• We have too much invested in new, expensive, conventional TVs to consider HDTV for years yet.
  • Our locals are on the 101sat., so no reason we can't use an 18" dish and Dual LNB.
  • I saw a Spaun SMS-241F 2x4 multi-switch on eBay for $37. and decided to snap it up yesterday.
  • We are building a new house and wiring each room with two RG6 runs for future expansion.
  • I am also building a 900sq.ft. Garage/Amateur Radio Shack and wiring it with feeds for DBS/LAN/Phone as well as all the 2-way radio equipment.

The Problem -

• Ok so, our initial needs are for two rooms and my garage to be equipped with receivers.
  • But that Garage [Ham shack] will not be ready for use till a few months after we move in, as I finish it's interior, install a furnace and the Ham equipment.

The Scheme -

• I go to an on-line retailer and buy their basically free [-s&h] two room system; a pair of Samsung SIR-S70's and Dual dish.
  • At the same time I go to Best Buy and purchase an HDVR2 at the full-boat $250. price.
  • I install and newly activate one of the S70 and the HDVR2.
  • I keep the other S70 unopened for a few months till the Garage is ready.

The Questions -

• Will this work?
  • Will the on-line dealer still get his backside payment from DirecTV?
  • Is the dealers backside payment based on just activation, or activation with additional mirrored receivers?
  • How would DirecTV distinguish between the receivers, I am activating two?
  • Will I end up with a bill-back for the second S70?
  • Should I stop asking dumb questions?

The Disclaimer - It's not that I don't intend to activate that third receiver, it's just that I wish I could do it in my time frame, and at the same time make the most of those first time subscriber discounts. My other option is to hold off on the third receiver till needed. And get just one S70 and Dual dish on-line and buy the HDVR2 at Best Buy, still works out cheaper then buying both on-line.

Peace - James/N8SBU

"Armed and Curious"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:13 AM

Well, you could also activate all three. It only costs 5 bucks a month more to do so.
No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.

#3 OFFLINE   Punkitup

Punkitup

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:54 AM

Originally posted by RichW
Well, you could also activate all three. It only costs 5 bucks a month more to do so.

I don't have a place to use it till the Garage is completed, perhaps as long as 4-6 months. And with a mortgage payment of over $2000. a month there is no such phrase as "only 5 bucks a month". But I none the less thank you for your suggestion. 

Peace - James/N8SBU

"Armed and Curious"

#4 OFFLINE   geneb11

geneb11

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:08 AM

If you don't have them activated for at least 30 day's he won't get his commision.If he doesn't get it you will be charged full price. If your strapped for cash. I would hold off on the HDVR2 until it's time to move that other receiver to your garage. It's only 30 day's and goes by quick. The HDVR2 will still be there. also look around your area. Tweeter is selling them for $199 and have BestBuy price match them and don't take no for an answer. I had to have them call Tweeter.

#5 OFFLINE   Punkitup

Punkitup

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:02 AM

It was 5am and I had been up all night working when I replied to RichW; but now in the light of day I am better able to think out his suggestion.

I suppose I could just keep switching out one S70 for the other, like once a week. At $5 a month I could go on like that for months till the third location was ready, and it would still be a hell of a deal. How often does DirecTV make a call to confirm mirroring units? Or can you hook one up and force a call?

I am still interested in how DirecTV confirms the identity of a particular reciever? Does the receiver transmitt it's serial number to DirecTV via the modem? Has the retailer listed that serial number with DirecTV?

"geneb11" thanks for the tip on Tweeter, they actually have a location directly across the street from our local Best Buy, in beautiful Tax Free Salem NH.

Peace - James/N8SBU

"Armed and Curious"

#6 OFFLINE   beegfoot

beegfoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:42 PM

James, each receiver is supposed to call out once a month and upload all info. This confirms the location as well to combat stacking.

Another thing, most dealers have you sign a contract to activate the system within 30 days or have a charge put on your CC. We have up to 90 days to place our units or face a 130. backcharge from DTV.

Tell the retailer your needs and he may give you the sale price even on a later sale date.

#7 OFFLINE   Punkitup

Punkitup

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Beegfoot,

A little research has shown that it is actually the card serial numbers that DirecTV is looking at corresponding with that reported by the dealer more then anything else, or so I'm told.

All a mute point now, we took 'Geneb11' suggestion and got an HDVR2 from Tweeter for $200. [no contract signed]. With the overall amount of savings that we are now talking about, we could turn all the recievers on and even if we weren't regularly using one it still would be a great deal.

Peace - James/N8SBU

"Armed and Curious"

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 12:26 PM

A suggestion on wiring: Run 3 coax to each location (preferably a different color each). This way you can install a dual tuner receiver at any location and also backfeed from that receiver to anywhere else in the house. I always run 3 (black, white, grey) in any pre-wire that I do.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

spam firewall