The Choice -
- We are going to be first time DBS subscribers.
- We have decided to go with DirecTV.
- We are starting with Total Choice Plus w/Locals & TiVo service.
The Layout -
- We have too much invested in new, expensive, conventional TVs to consider HDTV for years yet.
- Our locals are on the 101sat., so no reason we can't use an 18" dish and Dual LNB.
- I saw a Spaun SMS-241F 2x4 multi-switch on eBay for $37. and decided to snap it up yesterday.
- We are building a new house and wiring each room with two RG6 runs for future expansion.
- I am also building a 900sq.ft. Garage/Amateur Radio Shack and wiring it with feeds for DBS/LAN/Phone as well as all the 2-way radio equipment.
The Problem -
- Ok so, our initial needs are for two rooms and my garage to be equipped with receivers.
- But that Garage [Ham shack] will not be ready for use till a few months after we move in, as I finish it's interior, install a furnace and the Ham equipment.
The Scheme -
- I go to an on-line retailer and buy their basically free [-s&h] two room system; a pair of Samsung SIR-S70's and Dual dish.
- At the same time I go to Best Buy and purchase an HDVR2 at the full-boat $250. price.
- I install and newly activate one of the S70 and the HDVR2.
- I keep the other S70 unopened for a few months till the Garage is ready.
The Questions -
- Will this work?
- Will the on-line dealer still get his backside payment from DirecTV?
- Is the dealers backside payment based on just activation, or activation with additional mirrored receivers?
- How would DirecTV distinguish between the receivers, I am activating two?
- Will I end up with a bill-back for the second S70?
- Should I stop asking dumb questions?
The Disclaimer - It's not that I don't intend to activate that third receiver, it's just that I wish I could do it in my time frame, and at the same time make the most of those first time subscriber discounts. My other option is to hold off on the third receiver till needed. And get just one S70 and Dual dish on-line and buy the HDVR2 at Best Buy, still works out cheaper then buying both on-line.
Peace - James/N8SBU
"Armed and Curious"