Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Amazing Race: "Cherry on Top of the Sundae That's Already Melted" 12/9/2007

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

Well I lost my favs Azaria and Hendekea. Screwing up your airline tix will bite you in the rear everytime! The pinkies were starting grow on me already and they're from the midwest so they're now my favs of the teams left. I did find it somewhat humorous though how it seemed there were at least a couple teams that didn't seem to have the first clue on how to row a boat! :lol: Oh and program note for those of you that might've not watched all the way to the end of the previews: Next ep will be in TWO weeks as they are doing the Survivor finale in the Sunday timeslot next week.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

DARN! DARN! DARN! (it's a family board)

This didn't record for me. I noticed it in the last five minutes of the show but when I checked the guide shoed the episode title as last weeks. The only thing I caught afterthe load of commercials was the preview for the next episode so i couldn't tell if it reall was a repeat. Didn't seem right that it would be but not much I could do at that point. Oh well.

p.s. Yes, I realize it was apparently a guide issue not the HR20 deciding not to record. Still doesn;t make me happy though.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#3 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

I too was amazed at the teams that had never rowed a boat and just assumed it would be the easiest challenge.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#4 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

I was glad to see hendikea and azira go I thought they were too cockey in the beginning. I was surprised with the ticket dificulties in this episode. Also what was with the none official mode of transportation crap. My guess is that is for thier safety but I never knew about that rule. I was surprised they were sent back. I'm still cheering for the goths though. From the previews it looks like they are going to have a fight next week. Sorry to hear about dvr issues. I have had these in the past. I actually check before I watch the race now becaue I have beeen burned by my dvr before. too bad d* can't push a guide update when that happens. Probably some technical reason that makes that hard to do.

#5 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

And why would you choose to row a boat if you've never had the pleasure? I wonder what they thought the oar locks were for.

#6 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

This race has shown that as soon as you start doubting yourself, you are toast. They were already in line at the first counter, then second-guessed themselves and left. That cost them the race.

I'm still hoping that Nate and Jen hit the road. I can only take so much of their "I HATE YOU --- I LOVE YOU" episodes. :nono2:

The goths are growing on me, but he is still disturbing to look at.
Go Hoos!

#7 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'm still hoping that Nate and Jen hit the road. I can only take so much of their "I HATE YOU --- I LOVE YOU" episodes. :nono2:

Yep i'm probably rooting against them harder than any team i'm actually rooting for at this point!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#8 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

I was glad to see hendikea and azira go I thought they were too cockey in the beginning. I was surprised with the ticket dificulties in this episode. Also what was with the none official mode of transportation crap. My guess is that is for thier safety but I never knew about that rule. I was surprised they were sent back. I'm still cheering for the goths though. From the previews it looks like they are going to have a fight next week. Sorry to hear about dvr issues. I have had these in the past. I actually check before I watch the race now becaue I have beeen burned by my dvr before. too bad d* can't push a guide update when that happens. Probably some technical reason that makes that hard to do.

I haven't replayed last night's episode but I seem to recall that in at least one other episode some seasons ago a team was turned back because they had used unauthorized transportation ... in other words, read the instructions carefully. If it says "make your way to" somewhere, any mode of transport will be ok. But if the instructions are explicit, i.e.; "take a taxi cab" or "walk" or "take a bus", they will hold you responsible for following those exact instructions.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#9 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

I haven't replayed last night's episode but I seem to recall that in at least one other episode some seasons ago a team was turned back because they had used unauthorized transportation ... in other words, read the instructions carefully. If it says "make your way to" somewhere, any mode of transport will be ok. But if the instructions are explicit, i.e.; "take a taxi cab" or "walk" or "take a bus", they will hold you responsible for following those exact instructions.

IIRC, the clue said "make your way to..." Perhaps there's a general No Hitchhiking Rule, like the Book Economy Class rule, that isn't repeated each time.

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

IIRC, the clue said "make your way to..." Perhaps there's a general No Hitchhiking Rule, like the Book Economy Class rule, that isn't repeated each time.

I assumed that the clue said taxi as well. I'm pretty sure that folks have taken rides with locals in the past, but perhaps I am remembering incorrectly and it was always a "walk me there" or "you drive, I'll follow" situation. This may have been a simple safety situation .. Other than the round-trip, it was not too bad. A Taxi took them back to the point (to read the clue again) and then they likely just took the same taxi back to the pit stop .. either way, they were dry enough at that point :)

Down to 5 now .. I sense a non-elimination coming up .. And we're two weeks out for the next show due to the Survivor Finale next Sunday.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

The clue specifically said to take a taxi.

Also, I've seen in several places that there are no non-elimination legs this season.
Go Hoos!

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

That is the other thing.. You check your tickets before you leave... Always amazed when problems like that happen... Those should be the gimmes. Those are the things you always should do. That and if you are don't think you know where you are going.... Ask for directions and Listen carefully to the directions you have. Try even repeating them instead of running away like some crazed lunatic only to find you were not paying enough attention. Oh and the other one... Know where you are going... Following people can get you in serious trouble.

They definitely seem to have picked routes that get the teams on different flights. Not seeing as much of the "Everyone on the same plane" type scenarios so far.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#13 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

That is the other thing.. You check your tickets before you leave... Always amazed when problems like that happen... Those should be the gimmes. Those are the things you always should do. That and if you are don't think you know where you are going.... Ask for directions and Listen carefully to the directions you have. Try even repeating them instead of running away like some crazed lunatic only to find you were not paying enough attention. Oh and the other one... Know where you are going... Following people can get you in serious trouble.

They definitely seem to have picked routes that get the teams on different flights. Not seeing as much of the "Everyone on the same plane" type scenarios so far.

It amazes me each season how many of the teams have no idea how to get to the airport (LAX, JFK or wherever they are). It's not like they didn't know what city they would be starting from. Some rudimentary homework, and a local, map, would go a long way.

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

It amazes me each season how many of the teams have no idea how to get to the airport (LAX, JFK or wherever they are). It's not like they didn't know what city they would be starting from. Some rudimentary homework, and a local, map, would go a long way.

I'm not sure that these folks do know which city they are starting from. They may be flown to the city at the last moment (perhaps even as a group). I'd wonder how much stuff they can bring with them as part of the planning anyway?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

Because of the editing process, we don't always get to see everything the players do, so it's quite possible that the instructions were explicit enough to make them go back. Or, as Lucky says, there may have been an internal rule violated. At any rate, I'm sure that if the producers were at fault, they'll rectify it somehow - on-air or off.

Haven't heard or read about no non-elimination legs this season. I've been looking forward to one all season.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Because of the editing process, we don't always get to see everything the players do, so it's quite possible that the instructions were explicit enough to make them go back. Or, as Lucky says, there may have been an internal rule violated. At any rate, I'm sure that if the producers were at fault, they'll rectify it somehow - on-air or off.

Haven't heard or read about no non-elimination legs this season. I've been looking forward to one all season.

Well they've only got 4 teams left so it would have to be soon I would think. Nate and his whiner I mean g/f I mean ex-gf (cant figure it out) need to go the way of the dodo quickly, hope that the hippie guy and his partner win it all.

#17 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

The clue specifically said to take a taxi.

Also, I've seen in several places that there are no non-elimination legs this season.

No non-elimination legs this season.
Go Hoos!

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Not a big fan of the non-elimination legs. If this is true. Glad to hear it.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#19 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Not a big fan of the non-elimination legs. If this is true. Glad to hear it.

Me too. They kept changing the penalty for the last place team in a non-elimination leg (no clothes, no money, etc.) It was pretty pathetic that people were having to beg for money in some poor country. I read somewhere that the producers and the network took some flak for that.
Go Hoos!

#20 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

http://www.realitybl...ination_dropped
Go Hoos!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...