Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How about being proactive on this?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'm posting this cross forum - so apologies to those who sub to both! :sure:

Now that I'm over my initial "mad" at all of the stuff Sky Angel is doing to everyone, I'd like to suggest that we put some "good, Christian" pressure on to see if some of the programming can be transferred to DISH. I say DISH since I believe that most of us had to purchase their equipment to use Sky Angel, and it would save us $$ in simply having to re-position or replace a dish. (I was informed by DISH, that with an 18 month commitment to their family program, there would be a $59.99 charge to re-position or replace my dish.)

My suggestion is that everyone who currently has DISH equipment write a kind, non-Sky Angel bashing email to DISH Network. Some of you have taken this step already. A simple comment that Sky Angel is no longer meeting our needs, along with a request that they add more religious channels to the Family Package would be sufficient. For those who prefer no secular channels, you could also request that a new Spiritual Values Program be added.

IMHO, my hubby and I enjoy watching some of the programing that is broadcast on secular channels - and have no trouble spitting out some seeds or simply not watching programs that we feel are inappropriate. That said, I would not subscribe to their 100 channel thing for all the gold in China! I do very much enjoy Fox News, however, and the Family Package is the only one of the lower-priced DISH packages that features Fox News programming.

I agree with the opinion of several on this forum that the secular world can be reached for Christ much better by having some great religious broadcasting mingled with secular broadcasting.

(My email to DISH last night to suggest they add GTN to their lineup was answered by early this a.m. in a very satisfactory manner. I have yet to get a reply via either snail mail or email to Sky Angel!!! They will be referring such comments to the programming department, who will undoubtedly listen if they receive enough emails.) I also wrote a short email to GTN, asking them to consider adding their programming to DISH. You could suggest any programming you prefer to them.

I understand that a Sky Angel article appeared in the Naples, Florida newspaper. The reporter for that article could be emailed and asked to check out the two Sky Angel forums of which I'm aware on the net. Again, I think it's important that we don't practice slander or Sky Angel bashing - just the fact that Sky Angel no longer will meet your needs would suffice or even that people are unhappy with their business practices.... and you could have them check out the feelings on sattelliteguys.us board and the DBStalk board for themselves.

I think there is positive power in being proactive on the internet - but we do want to project a good image in the process. (And that, admittedly, from someone whose image was pretty lousy this past week over this whole thing! :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

why dont you just get a FTA Receiver and Dish...
Total cost is around 120 dollars and no monthly fee.

Coolsat has some very good FTA receivers...

#3 OFFLINE   Corkykn

Corkykn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

why dont you just get a FTA Receiver and Dish...
Total cost is around 120 dollars and no monthly fee.

Coolsat has some very good FTA receivers...

I have no idea what an FTA receiver is - or how it works. No monthly fee? Does that mean no subscription to a service?? Explanation, please??

Thanks for the input.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,606 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:49 AM

FTA is "free to air" ... basically one buys equipment only, the programming is unscrambled and free.

http://www.glorystar.tv/ would be a good place to look.
If you are capable of setting up the dish you can do a one room for $199.

#5 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

Galaxy 25 has the most christian programming on it,,
Daystar, TBN, church channel, Jctv, Smile of a child, Emmanuel, word network....
and they are all unscrambled and free no monthly fee....
think of it like picking up tv from a antenna.....

Glory star does sell fta equipment but shop around....
cause i know a guy who got a system done for around 150 bucks.......

all glory star has is a dish with a holder for 2 lnbs to hit two birds on one sat....
but there equipment is overpriced.....

Check out lyngsat and look up north america sats 97 degrees galaxy 25....

krazy k....

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,606 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

That "turn key" install kit for $199 looks pretty good. Yes, if you are willing to shop you can probably find alternatives.

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

I'm prejudiced, but I think this is a good place to learn about FTA: http://www.ftalist.com/started.htm
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#8 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

The advantage to glorystar is that they preprogram your receiver for CHRISTIAN satellite. No worry about seeing stuff you don't want to see. Plus they update the Christian channels as necessary. with a basic FTA you get to search and update yourself.

all in all remember if you want glorystar to stay in business then please support them :)

#9 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:42 AM

If you really want this service subscribe to Directv and block out all the other channels, they have all the GOD TV and TBN that zeluts love.... Like Ned Flanders once said 3000 channels blocked out.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#10 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:37 AM

I Want God Tv Dish network

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

I want Kali, Durga, Lakshmi and Sarasvati TV
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#12 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:19 AM

I want Kali, Durga, Lakshmi and Sarasvati TV

The only thing Kali is gonna get is a shalaee to the head this sunday at Armaggeden......ha ha ha

#13 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

If you really want this service subscribe to Directv and block out all the other channels

But then, not only is it a lot more expensive per month, but some of that money filters through to support "bad" channels such as MTV and E! It's the argument that some groups make in favor of reverse a la carte - the ability to drop a given channel and have your bill lowered by the per-subscriber fee the satellite/cable system pays that channel.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#14 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

But then, not only is it a lot more expensive per month, but some of that money filters through to support "bad" channels such as MTV and E! It's the argument that some groups make in favor of reverse a la carte - the ability to drop a given channel and have your bill lowered by the per-subscriber fee the satellite/cable system pays that channel.

I would love to be able to just drop channels. We will be blocking over 1/2 of the channels when we switch to Dish, but that still leaves us with a ton of good channels.

#15 OFFLINE   daddy3may2005

daddy3may2005

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:11 AM

Ok, so here is what I am wondering, everyone seems to be mad at Sky Angel, and I am sure there are good reasons, as I "was" a lifetime member... However they are offering a free reciever according to OrderSkyAngel dot com website. They require a commitment, but I am thinking about going for it. My dish always blacked out during stoms anyway

#16 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Ok, so here is what I am wondering, everyone seems to be mad at Sky Angel, and I am sure there are good reasons, as I "was" a lifetime member... However they are offering a free reciever according to OrderSkyAngel dot com website. They require a commitment, but I am thinking about going for it. My dish always blacked out during stoms anyway

If our internet was fast enough to handle it along with our computer work, we would probably have gone with that instead of looking into Dish. We have had SA for almost 4 years and have enjoyed it. I would not do a long term commitment with Dish either, and they are not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. I think SA is offering a good package for the money, minus the cost for receiver and the possible interferance with online work.

#17 OFFLINE   BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

What happens if I buy GloryStar and they go out of business. Do I have more worthless equipment to add to my technology grave yard or can i use the equipment for any fta? Excuse me if my ignorance is showing. I'm just trying to figure out the most economical way to replace Sky Angel. Anything with a monthly fee is out of the question.
Be blessed and have a glorious New Year!

The advantage to glorystar is that they preprogram your receiver for CHRISTIAN satellite. No worry about seeing stuff you don't want to see. Plus they update the Christian channels as necessary. with a basic FTA you get to search and update yourself.

all in all remember if you want glorystar to stay in business then please support them :)

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my kids, my best gurls, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,606 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

The FTA equipment sold by GloryStar can be used for other FTA signals. You can sell it to someone else ... or get other FTA equipment instead of GloryStar's package to receive the channels. GloryStar makes it easy with a turnkey package for the two satellites of interest ... but is NOT the only way of getting those channels from those satellites.

GloryStar is also not responsible for uplinking the stations ... so if they go out of business it does not mean the end of reception. Those stations are there for other reasons.

#19 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

again you can get any fta equipment to pick up the satellites that those channels are on, i got a friend who has a 100$ pansat receiver and he as amotor on it.
think he paid for all equipment and install may be 250....
then you can go to any sat for your chanels......

spam firewall