Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Palm Springs Locals to launch 1/16/08 on DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have it on extremely good authority that Palm Springs, CA locals will be available on DIRECTV in January 16, 2008.

I have no further details as to exactly which stations or whether they will be HD or SD, but they are forthcoming.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

The previous thread was split out so we can discuss Palm Springs locals. All right all you out there in KESQ, KDFX, and KMIR land... this one's for you!

#3 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

excited... but not holding my breath.

#4 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:02 AM

Looking at a thread on Satelliteguys.us, it shows that the channels include ABC, FOX, PBS, NBC, TNO, and MNT. So the CW, which I believe is owned by KESQ and CBS2 isn't going to be available. So I will still have to have OTA in order to view those channels.

Oh, I understand that MNT is MyTV, which is on channel 13, but what is TNO? I couldn't find any information.

#5 OFFLINE   Phouchg

Phouchg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

As far as I know, the CW and CBS will be availabe. I will check on this and return and report.

TNO=Telemundo, which airs on KUNA ch 15.

CW and CBS are on low power stations (ch. 2 and 38 respectively). KCWQ-LP has a pretty good signal, but KPSP-LP has a very weak signal.
Excelsior, you fathead!

#6 OFFLINE   StephenK

StephenK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

Do Palm Springs guys get LA locals too?

(Just out of curiosity)

#7 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

ABC and NBC are the only full-power stations in the market. All of the other stations are low-power or class A, so DIRECTV doesn't have to carry them...though several of the stations are run by the ABC and NBC affiliates, which could require the LP stations to be carried as part of their retransmission agreement. The NBC affiliate runs FOX, CW, and Telemundo, and the ABC affiliate is buying MNT.

#8 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

I was just poking around and found a link that went to the blog of the General Manager of Gulf-California Broadcast Company, who operates several television and radio stations in the Palm Springs, California, area. He states the following on his November 6, 2007 blog. Interesting that he knew more than anyone else. Wasn't the CSR's still saying Nov. 14th? Read below and you will see what I am talking about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from
kesq3.blogspot.com/2007/11/directv-announces-new-date-for-palm.html

DirecTV just informed me that they have a new launch date for local station services. A spokesman says the new date is January 16, 2008. DirecTV has been delayed by technical challenges at its new, state-of-the-art local receive facility located at our studios. A spokesman said the new facility uses new technology which requires more adjustments before they are ready to go.
Many DirecTV customers were disappointed when DirecTV previously announced they would begin carrying the Palm Springs stations on October 19th, and then the service didn't launch.
DirecTV will join Echostar's Dish Network, which has been carrying the Palm Springs stations since mid-2007.

#9 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

The general manager also stated on a blog in August that "From what I can tell, DirecTV will initially offer ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Telemundo, and Univision network programming. They appear to have made provisions for CW network programming and for KESQ-DT. DirecTV hasn't contacted us yet to talk about carrying our high definition digital signal. When they do we'll work out an agreement and local DirecTV viewers will then get our ABC signal in HD."

This can be found here as well.
http://kesq3.blogspo...ings-cable.html

#10 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

As far as I know, the CW and CBS will be availabe. I will check on this and return and report.

TNO=Telemundo, which airs on KUNA ch 15.

CW and CBS are on low power stations (ch. 2 and 38 respectively). KCWQ-LP has a pretty good signal, but KPSP-LP has a very weak signal.

Did you ever find out if the CW and CBS will be included in this rollout?

Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

top....... 2 days and we shall see..... sigh!!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

T - 1...

#13 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

tease....

#14 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

So are we all counting down the minutes??? :)

#15 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

http://directv.com/D...questid=1736674

TMO KUNA 15
FOX KDFX 33
NBC KMIR 36
CBS KPSP 38
ABC KESQ 42
PBS PBS 384

Standard Local Channels: You can receive these local channels using a DIRECTV® HD Receiver - MPEG-4 Capable. So sign up now for a package that includes local channels!

#16 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Yes!! They're on. Although the CSR had a problem with getting them on initially (something to do with the HD DVR PLUS package), they eventually were able to figure it out.

Good Bye Time Warner. Finally

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

I feel ya, rickster... if you're a long time desert rat I'm sure you've had your fill of Time Warner. I sure did back in 1995.

#18 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

well how about that.... a few minutes with cs and boom.... of course, no CW or HD but it is a good start fer sure!!!

#19 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

MPEG4 SD locals. Very interesting. If they are on a new MPEG4 spot beam, I wonder why they are not HD, at least the big 4. I must be missing something.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#20 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

I feel ya, rickster... if you're a long time desert rat I'm sure you've had your fill of Time Warner. I sure did back in 1995.

If I remember right, it was AT&T MediaOne for a while there. I was in the Palm Desert area and that was the provider there. I can't remember if they covered Palm Springs or if that has always been Time Warner. Either way, I am tired of the outages and then no way to get a hold of anyone.

I don't really care if the channels are HD or not at this point. I use captioning and the captioning on the local HD channels on Time Warner never worked right, or were 30 seconds behind, so I always watched the local channels on the SD side.

spam firewall