Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 Popping/Crackling Noise

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JMAC

JMAC

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

:( My father just got an HR21 and the popping or crackling noise through his TV speakers is driving him crazy. It makes the sound during FF, RR, and when changing channels. It only makes the popping through the hdmi connection. The digital out to the audio receiver does not make any unusual noise. He has software version 0X193. He previously had an H20 with no problems. I have three HR20s and have never experienced this problem. The HR21 is connected to a Sharp Aquos television, of which one other guy has reported the same issues.

Is this a bad receiver or an incompatibility issue of the HR21 with the TV? Has anyone else had this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

This may be an issue between the HR21 and the Aquos .. There have been some sporadic reports of this condition.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

I've responded to several posts about this over on DirecTV's technical forum. It is a problem with the HR21 and only certain new Sharp Aquos models. It could be either the HR21 or the TV. I have seen two posts where people connected to the Sharp via an HDMI switching receiver; audio from the switching receiver was OK but the Sharp still had the same problems with the HDMI signals from the switching receiver. The implication would seem to be that the noises are NOT on the audio coming from the HR21, they are created in the Sharp's HDMI interface board. That still does not mean it is a fault in the TV rather than the HR21 but it is at least a pointer in the right direction.

#4 OFFLINE   Buttabean

Buttabean

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:46 AM

I am getting the same issue with my Marantz SR8001 receiver via HDMI. It's driving me nuts. I'll have to switch the HR21 that's in my bedroom with the one in the living room to see if its repeatable. I'll post back after I test it out

#5 OFFLINE   ColdCase

ColdCase

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

I hear the pop but only when switching between a SD and a HD channel, HR21 connected via HDMI to pio 6010 plasma.

#6 OFFLINE   looter

looter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

I am getting the same issue with my Marantz SR8001 receiver via HDMI. It's driving me nuts. I'll have to switch the HR21 that's in my bedroom with the one in the living room to see if its repeatable. I'll post back after I test it out

I have always had audio popping via HDMI when changing channels on the HR21 to my Mitsubishi LT-46244. Even though I use an A/V receiver for audio, the popping actaully comes through the TV speakers which are at ZERO volume.

I think the issue is when the HR21 switches from PCM to DD or from DD to PCM.

It is an issue over HDMI on the HR21.
Home: (1) HR21-700 w/AM21, (1) HR22-100
Office: (1) H23, R22 Make that R16-300 (never trust DIRECTV when they tell you what receiver you’re getting).
DIRECTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   Buttabean

Buttabean

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

Well it also makes a high pitch noise when you keep it paused which only a few people hear.

#8 OFFLINE   pheroy

pheroy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

My HR21 has also been making that kind of popping sound, though it seems to be mainly on certain channels. It seems to do it pretty consistently on the NFL Network channel - coming out of any operation such as pause, rewind etc. into play will cause the pop. I've experienced it on another couple of channels that I don't recall - all HD channels though, btw. It's happened a time or two but not consistently on ESPN and one or two local channels.

I'm using HDMI out to a new Onkyo receiver (TX-NR905).

#9 OFFLINE   dleighton

dleighton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

I get the same noises when changing channels. I can't say for sure if it's confined to changing between certain channels (SD to HD, etc.).

My HR21 is connected to my Toshiba via HDMI.
Family Room
SWMline -> HR21-700
HR21-700 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 62HM196
HR21-700 -> optical -> Denon AVR 3805
HR21-700 <-> Linksys WRT54G <-> FIOS (15Mbs)
Harmony 880

Kid's Lounge
SWMline-> HR20-700 -> Toshiba 26" SD TV

Master Bedroom
SMWline -> H21-200 -> RCA 20" SD TV

#10 OFFLINE   LOBO2999

LOBO2999

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

I have had this problem with my HR 20-700 for ever , will there ever be a fix

#11 OFFLINE   JJ1138

JJ1138

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hello, I just found this site looking for a solution to this problem. I am having a similar problem with an HR21 connected to an Anthem D2 Processor. I get popping sounds when changing channels and a ultrasonic tone when paused on live TV or recordings. It occurs when using either HDMI or the Optical Toslink connection. It only occurs with the HR-21 set to DD, if I set it to PCM it seems to work fine except that I'm obviously not getting the Dolby Digital Sound.

I was trying to determine if this was a problem with the HR21 or the D2. Based on what I see here and on DirecTV's forum, I'm guessing it's the HR21 and is probably a firmware issue. This is the first time I've had a problem like this with a DirecTV receiver - how long does it take them to fix things like this? For now, I just live without the Dolby Digital - the ultrasonic tone actually damaged a tweeter in a speaker because I didn't notice it was occuring until it was too late.

Cheers,
Jim Jackson

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

I am also having the Popping issue. It only occurs through the speakers of my Sony XBR5. HR-21 connected to TV via HDMI. This popping is not transmitted through the "coaxial" digital cable to my Denon 4803. I also confirm that when audio is switched to PCM....no popping. I wonder if i switched to Component/RCA audio (to tv) if this would go away?
It definitely is a problem in the HR-21.

#13 OFFLINE   johnb1963

johnb1963

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

I have the same problem with mt H20 600. I have a Hitachi 55VH820. Mine only happens when I power off the TV and receiver. Does not happen when I power off my DVD recorder hooked up to HDMI. Must be receivers HDMI port on receiver. I hope D addresses issue.

#14 OFFLINE   e500

e500

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

It's definitely the HR21-700. I got one two weeks ago and connected it to a Sharp Aquos via HDMI. Changing to certain channels and FF would make a static noise.
Previously had an H20-600 on this TV with same HDMI, never had a problem.

I had an HR20-700 in another location and swapped them. The audio from the Sharp via HDMI is perfect. The HR21-700 audio is now connected to a receiver
via Toslink and the audio is also perfect.

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

It's definitely the HR21-700. I got one two weeks ago and connected it to a Sharp Aquos via HDMI. Changing to certain channels and FF would make a static noise.
Previously had an H20-600 on this TV with same HDMI, never had a problem.

I had an HR20-700 in another location and swapped them. The audio from the Sharp via HDMI is perfect. The HR21-700 audio is now connected to a receiver
via Toslink and the audio is also perfect.

First, I'm only responding to people with the HR21/Sharp issue, audio "popping" is a much broader subject. As I posted earlier, it isn't "definitely the HR21", it would be nice if it were that simple. The HR20 does not have the problem, but other TVs don't have the problem either. One poster connected the HR21 through his HDMI switching receiver to the Sharp TV. The noises are there on the Sharp but not on the HDMI switching receiver the signal is relayed through. That implies the problem is not on the digital audio HDMI signal from the HR21 itself, and is probably not caused by interference on the cables. The most logical explanation seems to be that the noises are being created in the TVs HDMI board. That still does not tell us whether the problem is in the TV or some by-product of issues with the HDMI signal.

#16 OFFLINE   looter

looter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

First, I'm only responding to people with the HR21/Sharp issue, audio "popping" is a much broader subject. As I posted earlier, it isn't "definitely the HR21", it would be nice if it were that simple. The HR20 does not have the problem, but other TVs don't have the problem either. One poster connected the HR21 through his HDMI switching receiver to the Sharp TV. The noises are there on the Sharp but not on the HDMI switching receiver the signal is relayed through. That implies the problem is not on the digital audio HDMI signal from the HR21 itself, and is probably not caused by interference on the cables. The most logical explanation seems to be that the noises are being created in the TVs HDMI board. That still does not tell us whether the problem is in the TV or some by-product of issues with the HDMI signal.

The HR21 causes the pop when changing channels when connected by HDMI. There is no pop over digital. Other sources do not cause the pop over same HDMI input.

Far too many different TVs for the TVs to be the issue. The issue IS the HR21. It has been well established.

It is simple troubleshooting. Methodically eliminate possible causes.
Home: (1) HR21-700 w/AM21, (1) HR22-100
Office: (1) H23, R22 Make that R16-300 (never trust DIRECTV when they tell you what receiver you’re getting).
DIRECTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

Just got off the phone with DTV tech support. They said they are aware that there is an issue with the "channel change/crackling" noise over the HDMI. They say it is a software issue with HR21, and have not resolved the issue....yet. The short term fix is to run Component video/RCA to the tv....should resolve the noise when switching to/between HD channels. I will try this and report findings. Any ideas/comments?:confused:

Hope I don't loose Video Quality when I switch to Component!

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

I am in this situation as well and have switched to component. No more crackling.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

I just found this thread. I had an HR21-200 installed yesterday. It's hooked up via HDMI to a Sharp Aquos 32-inch LCD in my bedroom. Snap, crackle and pop alright. I'm going to switch it with an HR20-700 I have in my living room that is hooked up via component to see if the crackling goes away.

#20 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

OK. Switched the HR21-200 with my HR20-700. The HR21 is now hooked up via component to my Sony Grand Wega II in the living room and there is NO crackling. At the same time, my HR20 is now hooked up to my Sharp Aquos LCD via HDMI in my bedroom and there is NO crackling either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...