Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Video game console question (covers most of them)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hello. Haven't posted in ages, but lets fix that! :)

I was wondering about this. Why do 3D graphics in video game consoles have jagged looking lines? (example would be a game that had 3D buildings, and the edges look rough and jagged, not smooth) I have observed this effect from the N64 to the PlayStation 2. Does it have something to do with how the polygons are rendered, or the pixels?
Do you DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

The Polygons... and the balance between the graphic cards power and performance of the games.

As time has gone on... the power of the graphic cards have grown significantly, and the programming algorithms have also improved... hence why we are seeing better graphics in the latest gen of systems.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

The Polygons... and the balance between the graphic cards power and performance of the games.

As time has gone on... the power of the graphic cards have grown significantly, and the programming algorithms have also improved... hence why we are seeing better graphics in the latest gen of systems.

Interesting. I don't own a next gen system myself, such as the PS3 or Xbox 360, but with their HD capabilities Im sure the graphics are gonna keep getting better.
Do you DVR?

#4 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

Interesting. I don't own a next gen system myself, such as the PS3 or Xbox 360, but with their HD capabilities Im sure the graphics are gonna keep getting better.

They are. Eventually they'll hit a wall in graphic chip development, but not for a little while at least.

The other advantage the "next gen" graphics chips have to eliminate jaggies (on top of pushing more geometry) is full scene anti-aliasing. It's an algorithm that significantly helps mask the jagged edges that even today's newest games have to some degree. Older chips are capable of it, but take a serious performance hit to implement.
-Chris

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

I am consistently amazed at how good some games look. I can't tell you how many times I have been playing NBA 2K8 or Madden 08 and somebody has said that they thought it was a real game.
HR20-100
XBOX 360
XBOX Live Gamertag: Snoofie71
Samsung 50" DLP

#6 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

I have a PS3 and was esctatic to purchase the game called Heavenly Sword.

It was like watching a movie, the graphics were just..amazing.

Even Ratchet and Clank - it was like being in a Pixar movie.

The new graphics for the games we have been buying have simply been out of this world.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#7 OFFLINE   TaylorJ

TaylorJ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

I have a 360 and I love it. The graphics are great and live is the best.

spam firewall