Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I lay my eSata drive on it's side?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have been using a Seagate Free Agent Pro 750 GB drive with my HR20-100 for several months now with no problems. I purchased a new TV and am moving my equipment rack.

I have been using the drive standing up like it is supposed to be. I would like to lay it on it's side. I wouldn't think that this would matter. Is anybody here using a drive on it's side? I appreciate any feedback on this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

The drive itself would not matter, but I would be concerned about the ventilation.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

The drive actually vents out the bottom of the stand. The stand is fixed to the case. So laying it on it's side would actually give it better ventilation.

#4 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

I have been using a Seagate Free Agent Pro 750 GB drive with my HR20-100 for several months now with no problems. I purchased a new TV and am moving my equipment rack.

I have been using the drive standing up like it is supposed to be. I would like to lay it on it's side. I wouldn't think that this would matter. Is anybody here using a drive on it's side? I appreciate any feedback on this.

Yes, you may.
John

2 - HR20-700
1 - HR23-100
JVC D-ILA RS-1x projector, 1080p HDMI
Samsung HL-S5687W, 1080p HDMI
Toshiba 34" CRT, 720p Component
Denon AVR-5308, 7.1
Vandersteen
(2) 2CE
(2) VSM-1
(2) V2W
(2) 2Wq

#5 OFFLINE   meller

meller

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hi ,
I just purchased a Western Digital 'MY BOOK' Home edition external 1TB drive to use with my HR20-700. It does not appear to be working. It connects fine but I don't seem to be recording yo it and as I can recall hearing was that I should not be able to see the internal drive when I cannect the external one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

#6 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi ,
I just purchased a Western Digital 'MY BOOK' Home edition external 1TB drive to use with my HR20-700. It does not appear to be working. It connects fine but I don't seem to be recording yo it and as I can recall hearing was that I should not be able to see the internal drive when I cannect the external one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

You're not going to want to hear this, but several people have posted that the WD My Book doesn't work. I have a WD internal drive in an external case and it has worked great.

#7 OFFLINE   meller

meller

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

You're not going to want to hear this, but several people have posted that the WD My Book doesn't work. I have a WD internal drive in an external case and it has worked great.

So what do you suggest in its place?

Mark

#8 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

So what do you suggest in its place?

Here's what I'm using, a 1TB WD internal drive in a Kingwin enclosure:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136151
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121021

#9 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

Remember, it is always BEST practice to NOT move drives will under power or use.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#10 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

I've been using mine that wat since I bought it (several months)

No problems !

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

spam firewall