Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smithsonian HD channel? (SMTHHD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

I lost the Smithsonian HD channel (SMTHHD)... shows I've recorded just give me the 'searching for authorized content' screen.... I've had this for a month or more... what happened?

I looked on directv.com but no channel package seems to list it.
* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

It's part of the HD Pack. You were getting a free preview for the last three months and if you call, they'll give you three more months for free as well. It's $4.99 and has Smithsonian, MGM, MHD, UHD and HDNet Movies I believe.

#3 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:04 AM

But I do have the HD pack. At least I think I do.. I have the HR20 with tons of HD channels....

Is there an HD 'standard' package plus this other "HD Pack"?

EDIT: OK.. I THOUGHT I had UHD and HDNet etc.. I guess I don't....

Hmm... wonder why they do that. I liked Smithsonain.. but not THAT much to pay $70 per year for. Poopy heads.

Thanks Xaa

EDIT EDIT: I still don't see "The Smithsonian Channel" anywhere on the DirecTV website packages.. what actual package do you need to get this channel?
* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,061 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:39 AM

It's called the "HD Extra Pack".

#5 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:37 AM

Yep, when they added all of the channels this fall they changed their methodology from the simple Ala Carte HD Package for all the HD channels to one where you pay an HD Access Fee (10 bucks/month) to have the HD versions of the channels to which you subscribe to in SD and then the HD Extra Pack for the HD channels that have no SD counterpart became the Ala Carte and is now $4.99. They gave everyone a free preview of it until 12/15 and like I mentioned above, if you call to sign up, they'll give you 3 more months of that for free as well.

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P4370078

#6 OFFLINE   Wicker 54

Wicker 54

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

I am beginning to think some people on here just like to complain about the new HD Extra package knowing in advance they were going to have to pay for it just to play stupid.

#7 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

I hear ya and mostly agree Wicker, but I think the OP in this case honestly was unaware about the change or the free preview etc. Seems like he's honestly just trying to get the programming.

#8 OFFLINE   PittCaleb

PittCaleb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

I had some reorded content on SmithHD come up unplayable. I checked the web site, and it said something about HDNet and HDNet Movies, but I was still getting them, only SmithHD I wasn't getting.

Phoned tech support and learned I had to subscribe to the package, etc. But I was still getting everything else in the package - so strange.

But in the end, without complaining one lick, I was told this "extra" package I need to subscribe to is going to be free for 3 months. My theory is by then, something may change...

PittCaleb

#9 OFFLINE   scottru

scottru

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

BTW, I'm a new HD subscriber, I called today and the first tech I spoke to set up the free trial, no questions asked.

This trial does automatically roll into a monthly charge, so if you don't want it at the end don't forget to call!

#10 OFFLINE   Agrajag

Agrajag

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I am left to wonder what they're going to do when everything is HD. It'll be fun to see how they rationalize these extra charges down the line.

Soon we'll have the HD Extra Special pack and then the HD Hung Like A Bear pack.

Maybe this is good as DirecTV could be the leaders in the next technology beyond HD just to keep these fees going.
DirecTV customer since 1994
HR20-700, R15-300, R15-500
Pioneer Elite Pro 730HDi RPTV

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

My long-term guess is that at one point the packages will be merged and realigned and there won't be a separate HD access fee. I also bet that won't happen until well more than 50% of the customers have an HD receiver and that won't be for several years yet.

Until then, we'll likely have various packages as new channels emerge that don't have an SD counterpart.

Have a very Merry Christmas, everyone!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Let's get back to teh OP for a minute:

I lost the Smithsonian HD channel (SMTHHD)... shows I've recorded just give me the 'searching for authorized content' screen.... I've had this for a month or more... what happened?

I looked on directv.com but no channel package seems to list it.

Are you saying that if you go to Playlist, you can no longer play shows that were recorded from Smithsonian HD before this channel became unavailable? If so, that's the first I've heard of this and it is worth a follow-up discussion.

If the recording was made while you were eligible to watch the channel, you should still be able to watch the recording even after you no longer subscribe to the channel.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,161 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

I am not subscribed to the HD extra pack, and I do have recordings from Smithsonian made prior to the conversion date. They play just fine.

Carl

#14 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I am like the OP here. I did not know anything about this 'extra pack', until fairly recetnly, on this forum. Did D* actually tell anybody they were giving this free 3 months?

I had been wondering why I no longer got UHD and HDNet, but really saw no formal news from them.

I don't know that 6 stations is worth 6 bux but I may try to get this free trial which I knew nothing about, since xaa here seems to say they will give it out again to anybody who calls, which I have to admit puzzles me why they would do that. But it can't hoit to try.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#15 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

There is actually a mistake on that page Xaa gave
http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P4370078

it clearly shows there are 6 channels to the extra pack, which is not true. HDNet is not part of it

HDNet is part of Premiere package. HDNet Movies is part of Extra Pack I found this out when I signed up and got the 3 free months, asked him what channel each was and he didn't mention HDNet. So called back and got someone else and he told me that hdnet was not part of the extra pack, there are only 5 channels, for 4.99, but I am getting HDNet anyway, because I have Premiere.

He said he is going to notify the right people about the mistake on the web page, but somehow I doubt that. :lol:

Anyway, yes Xaa you are right, thanks for the info, and for anyone else who didn't know, you can get these 5 channels for free for 3 months, then cancel it if you don't want to start paying for it. He told me that in time there will be more added to the package, he thought. But only time will tell on that. I'm a pessimist, I doubt that too. :D

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#16 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

I am beginning to think some people on here just like to complain about the new HD Extra package knowing in advance they were going to have to pay for it just to play stupid.

I'm beginning to think that some people on here are just arrogant aholes who have nothing to add with their post and like to feel superior to honest poster like the OP.....I, too, knew NOTHING about those channels being "free trials" and was suprised when I was getting searching for signals on those channels....I came right to this forum and found out quickly that was the case......NO WAY I'm paying $.10 a month for those channels, let alone whatever they are trying to charge.....
AT9 -->WB68 --> HR 20-100S --> HDMI --> Sony 42" Plasma KDE-42XS955.
(4) SD Directv Tivo.

#17 OFFLINE   jpenneck

jpenneck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

I've had HDNet Movies & Univseral since they were launched. Did I lose these channels when they re-configured the packages ? I noticed that I wasn't getting SMTHHD any more, but haven't checked HDM & UHD yet. I had heard something about being "grandfathered in" sometime ago, but wasn't sure what channels where affected.

Edited: Now that I've checked - looks like I lost HDM & UHD which kinda sucks seeing as I had them for ages... guess I'll call DTV and see what they have to say.

#18 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

I can see Jpenneck not having seen anything about it. But how do people with hundreds of posts here not see anything about the HD Extra Pack that's been all over these boards since September?
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

I can very easily understand people who have been too busy, especially of late with the holidays, and/or not perused other parts of the DBStalk forums, so are surprised by the change that appears "sudden" to them. We should remember that not everyone has 15,000+ posts here... :)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I couldn't begin to tell people what my ISP might have done to my account. I just don't follow that on a monthly basis.

So please be kind to the people who nicely state surprise. They do not deserve the jibes.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

But in the end, without complaining one lick, I was told this "extra" package I need to subscribe to is going to be free for 3 months. My theory is by then, something may change...

PittCaleb

Old joke:

A man convicted of a crime is brought before the King, who has sentenced him to death. The man begs and pleads with the King but the King is steadfast. While talking to the King, the man notices that the King is paying quite a bit of attention to the royal dog.

The man, desperate to live, says he can make the dog talk but it will take a year. The King, intrigued, gives the man one year of life to make the dog be able to speak. If the dog speaks, the man will go free.

After the session, the man's friend walks up to him and says, "Are you crazy? You won't be able to make the dog talk and you will certainly be put to death in a year's time."

To which the man answers, "I was going to die now. In a year's time, I may die of natural causes, the King may die, or the dog may talk!"
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...