Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone getting impossible results with Skyangel's Internet Speed Test?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRC Ohio

MRC Ohio

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

I used the internet speed test offered by Skyangel and it gave me an INSTANT result of 17.94 Mbps on my very old (300 Mhz) computer. Every other test Ive tried has given something more realistic (something less than 5 Mbps) and has taken several seconds to perform. I hope Skyangel isn't trying to mislead people to get them to subscribe!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

You can double check your internet speed on Cnet: http://reviews.cnet....4-7254_7-0.html

I got several different answers from 800 to over 1000, when we are supposed to have a 1500 connection (DSL).

#3 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

Tried it just for giggles. Told me instantly my connection was 3.9ishMbps. Close, but my connection's 3.0Mbps DSL and runs about 2.8-2.9 on a good day, 2.7ish otherwise. A real speed test requires a bit more than a second to determine, as you stated above. :)

They very well could be trying to mislead, or they simply don't have the bandwidth to do a real test, the latter being kinda scary if they are an IPTV provider. :lol:

Posted Image
-Chris

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yeah the results on the Sky Angel test are anything but accurate, but in the opposite direction for me. I'm on a 15Mb connection, the the test is showing just under 4Mb.

From Sky Angel:

The result of your current connection speed test is:

* 3861.37 kb (kilobits) per second
* 3.77 Mb (megabits) per second

Now this is more like it.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 14.35 mbps (1837 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 976 kbps (122 KB/sec transfer rate)

or

Posted Image
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

I used the internet speed test offered by Skyangel and it gave me an INSTANT result of 17.94 Mbps on my very old (300 Mhz) computer. Every other test Ive tried has given something more realistic (something less than 5 Mbps) and has taken several seconds to perform. I hope Skyangel isn't trying to mislead people to get them to subscribe!

http://www.skyangel....ault.aspx?ws=v
* 1946.13 kb (kilobits) per second
* 1.9 Mb (megabits) per second

Cnet: 1396.3 Kbps
SpeedTest: 1548/371
Posted Image

Even the lengths to the longer tests don't seem long enough to guarantee that speed for something like an IPTV service that wants a lot of bandwidth for a long time. Hopefully SkyAngel is overspecing the speed needed to run one of their boxes (not a bad idea).

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

VZ finally updated my service ... for $8 less per month (maybe I should put that toward SkyAngel IPTV. :D).
The speed test is still a bit exagerated, although SkyAngel now has a link to SpeedTest on their test page.
(They need to update the code to keep it there.)

http://www.skyangel....ault.aspx?ws=v
* 3923.65 kb (kilobits) per second
* 3.83 Mb (megabits) per second

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...