Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Anyone getting impossible results with Skyangel's Internet Speed Test?
Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:37 AM
Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:42 PM
They very well could be trying to mislead, or they simply don't have the bandwidth to do a real test, the latter being kinda scary if they are an IPTV provider.
Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:52 PM
From Sky Angel:
The result of your current connection speed test is:
* 3861.37 kb (kilobits) per second
* 3.77 Mb (megabits) per second
Now this is more like it.
Download Speed: 14.35 mbps (1837 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 976 kbps (122 KB/sec transfer rate)
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!
Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:26 PM
I used the internet speed test offered by Skyangel and it gave me an INSTANT result of 17.94 Mbps on my very old (300 Mhz) computer. Every other test Ive tried has given something more realistic (something less than 5 Mbps) and has taken several seconds to perform. I hope Skyangel isn't trying to mislead people to get them to subscribe!
* 1946.13 kb (kilobits) per second
* 1.9 Mb (megabits) per second
Cnet: 1396.3 Kbps
Even the lengths to the longer tests don't seem long enough to guarantee that speed for something like an IPTV service that wants a lot of bandwidth for a long time. Hopefully SkyAngel is overspecing the speed needed to run one of their boxes (not a bad idea).
Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:41 PM
The speed test is still a bit exagerated, although SkyAngel now has a link to SpeedTest on their test page.
(They need to update the code to keep it there.)
* 3923.65 kb (kilobits) per second
* 3.83 Mb (megabits) per second