Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to Launch AMC-14 to 61.5 W - March 14th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

Dish recently filed with the FCC to launch the AMC-14 satellite to 61.5 W. Here is the FCC website address:

http://svartifoss2.f...ent_key=-140501

An interesting part of the filing relates to the capabilities of the AMC-14 satellite. It can operate in regular power mode for all 32 DBS TPs or double power mode for 16 TPs. Don't know if it can do a mix of regular power and double power. The filing also requests moving E-3 to 61.35 W temporarily until it is moved to another location. The expected launch is March 2008.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

Yay! A replacement for E3 is finally in writing. :)

Due to recent launch vehicle incidents involving the Proton rocket, the projected launch
date for AMC-14 is in March of 2008, and accordingly EchoStar respectfully requests timely
grant of the instant application.

The prior "double power" satellites could do a mixture. E12 can only cover 13 transponders ... if E3 leaves 61.5° AMC-15 will need to cover 19 transponders.

Thanks for the link.

#3 OFFLINE   Stephen J

Stephen J

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

I wonder, how this will affect HD LiL Capacity?

Also, If they will be getting additional HD capacity at 61.5, then what will they do to match at 129? Perhaps they might not use 129 anymore, and just use 61.5 for national HD. Perhaps they will use the new bandwith for HD LiLs, thus cancelling the need for matching bandwith at 129.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

Perhaps they might not use 129 anymore, and just use 61.5 for national HD.

That just isn't possible since 61.5 isn't available (or is VERY hard to receive because of the low angle) in the western U.S.

I'm sure this is just the first of several announcement that Echostar will have concerning satellites in 2008.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

Any transponders that E* can activate at 61.5° will help. They have apparently been testing the spots on E12, which will open more space if they can double up on some transponders.

129° isn't going away ... the long term plan to use the Ceil satellite to serve the US is still in place. Perhaps E8 will go there to help out E5 temporarily after E11 is placed into service at 110°? Having E3 free to move elsewhere will likely help at 77° (Mexican slot).

As Bill R says ... the replacement of E3 is only the beginning ... stay tuned!

#6 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:55 AM

I wonder, how this will affect HD LiL Capacity?

It appears that there are no spotbeams on this satellite, so, the only way that it would have an effect on HDLIL would be through juggling channels that are on spotbeams to CONUS and then replacing those channels on the spot with LIL. I doubt that this will happen. :(
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

Any transponders that E* can activate at 61.5° will help. They have apparently been testing the spots on E12, which will open more space if they can double up on some transponders.

Are they currently using spots on E12 as fake conus beams?

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

I see no indication of where this will be launched from? Any speculation about that?

#9 OFFLINE   Stephen J

Stephen J

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

My Angle on this is that I can not see 129 well from where I am in NE Ohio. I just hope that STO and the Cleveland Locals get move off of it, to something higher in the sky. 61.5 would be great, since that is where I get my current HD from, however; since E* put the HD RSNs for Cleveland on 129, I fear that they are in the mindset that 129 is good for everyone in the Cleveland market. I still have to wonder how the Erie market can effectively get their locals from 129, since they are east of me, and it is too low for me to get.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

Are they currently using spots on E12 as fake conus beams?

E12 (formerly R1) can operate each transponder as either a ConUS beam or as a group of spot beams. For example, if they "turn off" the ConUS use of transponder 1 they can light up 12 spot beams across the country that use transponder 1. (I doubt if they would attempt to use the California spots on E12, but they are there.)
Posted Image

It is just like the spots on E7 and E8 (at 119° and 110° respectively). E* turns off the ConUS beams and uses the spots. On E7 they have turned off 5 ConUS transponders and have 14 spots (24 spot transponders) in use on those frequencies. The spots on E8 are currently off and the ConUS beams are on in their place.

#11 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

The launch of AMC-14 is currently being reported as being on a Russia Proton launch vehicle.

If they can do a mixture of single and double powered TPs than Dish could put 13 TPs in double power mode and have 6 in single power mode. Dish might be able to use 7/8 FEC (error correction) on the double powered mode TPs allowing for more useable bandwidth. This could enable Dish to put 7 or possibly 8 HD channels per TP.

I also think that the E-3 satellite is most like going to be moved to 77 W after AMC-14 gets launched. Another thought is if E-3 goes to 77 W and if E-4 could provide signals for 3 even TPs, then E-4 could be moved to 61.5 W and then AMC-14 could provide 16 TPs at double power.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Forget about using E-4 for anything - that bird is the flying dead. The only reason it and E-3 are getting moved to 77W is to allow some other entity to get what use they can out of it until it dies completely. I half suspect that is why E-1 and E2 are out at 148 - near or at end of useful service life.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

So, AMC-14 turns out to be a generic satellite. So much for all that speculation. :)

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

I half suspect that is why E-1 and E2 are out at 148 - near or at end of useful service life.

E1 and E2 are at 148° because they were available at the time. :)
E* needs to replace them too ... with a satellite that also serves Alaska/Hawaii well.

So, AMC-14 turns out to be a generic satellite. So much for all that speculation. :)

E* could use a few of those. :D

#15 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

I don't think I ever saw anything about AMC-14 having anything but CONUS beams. I have seen some evidence that it has a steerable configuration so that it could be deployed to several different slots and provide full coverage. Perhaps it can be configured to be used at 77 W so that it can provide full coverage to Mexico as well as the southern 2/3 of the CONUS for HD locals. Perhaps down the line Dish will provide a MPEG-4 only service with a combination of 61.5 W and 77 W to parts of the U.S.

#16 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

In order for it to go to 77W it would have to be a Mexican licensed satellite. Not likely.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

In order for it to go to 77W it would have to be a Mexican licensed satellite. Not likely.

Eventually E* will use 77° for service to the US (as well as to Mexico). I suspect that we won't see anything there until the end of 2008 (not that far away) and it most likely will be HD from 61.5 and more HD LIL markets. I don't expect a full "MPEG4 HD service" there, but I do expect use.

BTW: More about the AMC-14 application can be found at the FCC.
http://svartifoss2.f...erC/File Number
I'll dig out the footprint and try to post that later tonight.

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

E1 and E2 are at 148° because they were available at the time. :)
E* needs to replace them too ... with a satellite that also serves Alaska/Hawaii well.

E* could use a few of those. :D

Amen to all that :D
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

I've attached a diagram of where AMC-14 will cover. The blue outline is -6 dB, green is -10 dB and red is -20 dB. The satellite's boresite is in Florida. Obviously low look angles out west make 61.5° harder to see than for people in the east, but the "good" signal isn't limited to just the east coast. The uplink centers are also shown.

If you have Google Earth open the KMZ file in the zip for all the contours.

More dates from Schedule S -
Construction Completion: 1/31/2008
Estimated Launch: 3/12/2008 - 4/12/2008
Estimated Date in Service: 5/12/2008
Estimated Life: 15 years

AMC-14 has three sets of uplinks ... either from Glibert, from Cheyenne or from the ConUS beam. This will allow E* to choose which uplink they want to use for each AMC-14 downlink (all ConUS) and use uplinks from other centers to future 61.5° satellites without conflict. (With E12's design it will not immediately help.)

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• amc-14.jpg

Attached Files

#20 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Dish contracted for 100 percent of the AMC 14 capacity.

Who is going to use the the new AMC 21 at 125 W when it launches in fall of 2008?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...