Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Guitar Hero III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

does anyone know if there are any differences between the Guitar Hero III for the Wii and the one for the PS3? I'm assuming the game itself is exactly the same... And I know on the one for the Wii, you hook up a Wii controller inside the guitar... Is the one for the PS3 just ready to go?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

does anyone know if there are any differences between the Guitar Hero III for the Wii and the one for the PS3? I'm assuming the game itself is exactly the same... And I know on the one for the Wii, you hook up a Wii controller inside the guitar... Is the one for the PS3 just ready to go?

A few differences;

The game is more or less the same. Textures and overall resolution are a bit higher on the truer "next gen" systems (at least 720p (1280x720) native (up to 1080p native or scaled) on PS3 and 360 vs 480p (720x480) for Wii and 480i for PS2). As far as how it plays, it should be relatively the same across all platforms. The main differences in the versions being that the PS3 and 360 versions have the option for downloadable content; extra song packs you pay for that integrate into the game.

Controllers on the versions aside from Wii are completely stand alone (PS3 wireless, 360 wired or wireless, PS2 wired). The Wii version takes the Wii-mote is for 2 reasons, I believe. When you miss a note, the sound affect for that comes out of the Wii-mote's speaker versus coming out of your TV/Surround setup. The other reason is since (and I may be wrong on this) the Wii-mote plugs into the guitar, it acts as the gyroscope for the "Hammer-Ons" for Star Power.

The one thing to look out for in the Wii version;

The original shipments of the game somehow shipped with the music in mono. Activision will be replacing the affected discs free of charge early this coming year.

Hopefully that answered what you needed. If not, I'm here whenever. :)
-Chris

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

I purchased it for the Xbox 360 and have completely been hooked. If your buying it for yourself, make sure you have your schedule open for the next few days.

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Pinion,

Thank you very much for the insight! Wonderful reply!

I was thinking of getting the one for my PS3 for a couple reasons...

1. I wouldn't have to take the Wii-mote in and out of it every time (or buy another one).
2. I figured the graphics may be a little better since the Wii can only do up to 480.
3. I have my PS3 audio hooked up via Optical and the Wii is only composite.
4. Now that you've told me about the extra downloadable song packs... that is definately a plus.

You have definately answered all my questions and I think you made up my mind for me.

Thanks!!

#5 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

Pinion,

1. I wouldn't have to take the Wii-mote in and out of it every time (or buy another one).
2. I figured the graphics may be a little better since the Wii can only do up to 480.
4. Now that you've told me about the extra downloadable song packs... that is definately a plus.

You have definately answered all my questions and I think you made up my mind for me.

Thanks!!

Not a problem in the least. That's what I'm here for. :D
-Chris

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Pinion,

Thanks!!

I just bought this yesterday, and am completely hooked. I was excited the controller was wireless for my PS3 as well, I have tried it with a corded one, and it really hinders movement.

I thought I would never get the hang of it and would suck forever (I know I know I have only had it for 24 hours, but still.), but then I got better...The songs are awesome...the game itself is awesome - I haven't figured out how to get more songs though.

Pinion413, you seem to know alot about it, so I can ask you! When I got to online from the game menu's, all I can find is options to battle other people online.

Where the heck is the downloadable content at? I gave up after 10 minutes because I wanted to play more, but there is nothing about it in the manual either!
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#7 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Pinion413, you seem to know alot about it, so I can ask you! When I got to online from the game menu's, all I can find is options to battle other people online.

Where the heck is the downloadable content at? I gave up after 10 minutes because I wanted to play more, but there is nothing about it in the manual either!

I'm not entirely sure on the PS3 version (as I have the XBOX 360 version). In the 360 version, the downloadable packs appear both in the XBOX Live Marketplace under Guitar Hero III, and there's access to the downloads in the game itself.

I would assume that (provided you have your PS3 on your home network) you should be able to find the packs in the PlayStation store on PlayStation Network. I'll look into it and post my findings.
-Chris

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

I ended up getting the one for PS3 2 nights ago... I am hooked as well.... I've already beaten all of easy... but now that I'm on medium... I'm struggling... Throwing the blue button into the mix really confuses me... :lol:

Thanks again for all the help Pinion...

#9 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

I ended up getting the one for PS3 2 nights ago... I am hooked as well.... I've already beaten all of easy... but now that I'm on medium... I'm struggling... Throwing the blue button into the mix really confuses me... :lol:

Thanks again for all the help Pinion...

Not a problem. Not only do I love DirecTV, but I'm also a gamer. :grin:

My wife got it for me (GH III) as an early Christmas present this year. I had never tried any of the previous games.....I was always too intimidated by it for some reason. I had to fumble around on easy to start too.

Once I got used to medium, I wished I had started there. Whereas on Easy, you don't hit (mostly)every note, Medium is closer to that. Coming from a family of musicians, I wanted to play what I knew on easy, not what it wanted me to, and I strummed too quickly a lot of the time to start.

Don't worry about Medium though, you'll get used to it. :D

As for Hard and Expert, forget it. Medium is just hard enough that once you get it, it's a lot of fun. Hard and especially Expert are all over the place, and throw in that orange button. Call me a wimp, but that's just a little too crazy for me. :rolleyes:
-Chris

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Okay, read up a little....It is supposed to be in the PlayStation Store on PlayStation Network. If it works like XBOX Live does, once you purchase it, it will download to your PS3 and patch itself into the game. They'll show up in Quick Play. Once you're in Quick Play, there will be a key to hit to go to downloads (Blue on 360, should be the same on PS3).

There are a few pay packs ($5/3 Songs if it follows what they charge me on Live) and the free downloads that unlock the boss battle songs (Tom Morello, Slash, and Devil Went Down To Georgia).

Hope that helps!
-Chris

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

haha... i'm with ya on that one... i love my directv, high definition tvs, surround sound, PS3, wii, macbook, photo printer, digital SLR, iphone, etc etc etc... gotta have my toys!! :D

i'll give medium another try... just seems like too much for my brain to handle! :lol:

When I was 13-17... I was really into drums... took lessons for a few years and had a very nice set... I have a problem of tuning into the beat of the song instead of the licks of the guitar...and end up strumming when I'm not supposed to... oh well... just need more practice I guess...

#12 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

Okay, read up a little....It is supposed to be in the PlayStation Store on PlayStation Network. If it works like XBOX Live does, once you purchase it, it will download to your PS3 and patch itself into the game. They'll show up in Quick Play. Once you're in Quick Play, there will be a key to hit to go to downloads (Blue on 360, should be the same on PS3).

There are a few pay packs ($5/3 Songs if it follows what they charge me on Live) and the free downloads that unlock the boss battle songs (Tom Morello, Slash, and Devil Went Down To Georgia).

Hope that helps!

thanks for that... I was wondering that myself...

#13 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

i also had trouble registering it online... i found the VIP code... and put in my playstation network ID... but it said there was an error... :confused:

#14 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

haha... i'm with ya on that one... i love my directv, high definition tvs, surround sound, PS3, wii, macbook, photo printer, digital SLR, iphone, etc etc etc... gotta have my toys!! :D

i'll give medium another try... just seems like too much for my brain to handle! :lol:

When I was 13-17... I was really into drums... took lessons for a few years and had a very nice set... I have a problem of tuning into the beat of the song instead of the licks of the guitar...and end up strumming when I'm not supposed to... oh well... just need more practice I guess...

Exactly. As they always say, practice makes perfect. :D
-Chris

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

i also had trouble registering it online... i found the VIP code... and put in my playstation network ID... but it said there was an error... :confused:

I wish I could help you with that one. As I don't quite have a real reason yet to own a PS3, I don't have one. Maybe next year I can help you with that. :grin:

You could always use the good ol' tried and true method of 'Please Try Again Later". :lol:
-Chris

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:27 AM

man... medium is kicking my ***... i dunno if I can do this... :lol:

check this out...

#17 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

man... medium is kicking my ***... i dunno if I can do this... :lol:

check this out...

Holy freakin' hell!!!!! That's absolutely insane! :eek2:

Try getting 95% on easy nevermind on expert like that.

I will never be that good, nor anywhere close.

By the way, isn't that an HR20 in the TV stand? :grin: I wonder if one of his parents is on this forum?

If so, let us know!
-Chris

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

haha... i know... that is INSANE!! :lol:

I saw the HR20 as well... that's funny...

#19 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

haha... i know... that is INSANE!! :lol:

I saw the HR20 as well... that's funny...

~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it feels so silly - but ..I BEAT IT ON EASY!!!!!

And I feel accomplished! I tried on medium and promptly turned the PS3 off :P
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#20 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it feels so silly - but ..I BEAT IT ON EASY!!!!!

And I feel accomplished! I tried on medium and promptly turned the PS3 off :P

I just beat it on easy too and was excited to try medium and got a wake up call. Adding that fourth fret button totally confused me. To make it worse, I played on XBOX Live with my nephew last night and, after some fun playing multiplayer on Call of Duty 4, he wanted to play Guitar Hero. We did a battle and he beat me on hard and I was on medium. I couldn't stop looking at how fast the notes were flying by on his side of the screen and my were just crawling and I still lost. D@mn kids!
HR20-100
XBOX 360
XBOX Live Gamertag: Snoofie71
Samsung 50" DLP

Protected By... spam firewall...And...