Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2 UHF Remotes w/1 722??

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

I thought you would be able to use 2 UHF remotes with a 722 receiver but was told by an installer that with some receivers that's possible, but not with the 722.

His option was to use E*'s "IR-to-UHF Upgrade Kit" for twice as much money.

Is that correct? What's the differrence in using their kit rather than just purchasing another TV2 remote?

Thanks for your help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

I don't know why there would be any difference between using one remote or two remotes. Obviously they both have to be set to the proper channel and if used at the same time could cause a channel switch war, but otherwise I would expect it to work fine.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

That's what I thought. If you have to change the remote address anyway, what's the difference between using a regular TV2 remote or the kit?

Thanks, ChuckA.

#4 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

I am interested in doing this also. I have a 622 and want to get rid of my TV1 IR remote. I didn't realize you could just buy another TV2 remote and set it to work TV1.

Can someone chime in here that has done this?

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

I am interested in doing this also. I have a 622 and want to get rid of my TV1 IR remote. I didn't realize you could just buy another TV2 remote and set it to work TV1.

Can someone chime in here that has done this?

Thanks.

I am using three UHF remotes on a ViP622. I bought two of the 6.0 IR/UHF PRO remotes from eBay for less than $10. They work very well.

#6 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I am using three UHF remotes on a ViP622. I bought two of the 6.0 IR/UHF PRO remotes from eBay for less than $10. They work very well.

Same here... I have two IR/UHF Pro remotes and one IR remote and they work really well with my 622

#7 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for all your responses. You confirmed what I suspected, and I feel much better about getting another UHF remote.

Thanks again!

#8 OFFLINE   drzoo2

drzoo2

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for all your responses. You confirmed what I suspected, and I feel much better about getting another UHF remote.

Thanks again!

While you can certainly use two UHF remotes on the "TV2" side of things....I'm currently doing this. I don't think you can have two RF remotes controlling TV1 and TV2. I think TV2 is only controllable by RF and TV1 by IR. I'm not 100% sure about this. I know I read something on it somewhere in this forum while trying to control TV2 via IR. Do a search and you shall find your answer.

Z

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

While you can certainly use two UHF remotes on the "TV2" side of things....I'm currently doing this. I don't think you can have two RF remotes controlling TV1 and TV2. I think TV2 is only controllable by RF and TV1 by IR. I'm not 100% sure about this. I know I read something on it somewhere in this forum while trying to control TV2 via IR. Do a search and you shall find your answer.

Z

You raise an excellent point. I should have put a little more thought into my answer. I run in Single Mode. If running in Dual Mode, it may be a little different.
Anyone here using that setup?

#10 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

You raise an excellent point. I should have put a little more thought into my answer. I run in Single Mode. If running in Dual Mode, it may be a little different.
Anyone here using that setup?

I run my 622 in dual mode. I have two UHF remotes, one for TV1 and one for TV2. I had to call dish and get the second UHF remoted sent to me. It only comes with one.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

Didn't I read somewhere that you can change the 'key' in the tail end of remote 1 and convert it to UHF, or was that change the 'key' on remote2 to make it IR?

I did a little checking, it is the latter. Swap the key and the TV2 remote becomes IR.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   Matt Beachy

Matt Beachy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

I recently got a 722 and am running in dual mode with both tuner 1 and tuner 2 being controlled by different UHF remotes. The dish guy that I talked with was insisting that I had to get a special UHF remote from them but I was able to make one of my leftovers from my 625 receiver work. One important thing to be sure of is that the cover that goes on the bottom of the remote allows you to leave the key in the proper position (#3 I think) when it's on. I believe there is something that addresses this in the VIP622 receiver review at the top of this forum.

#13 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

Didn't I read somewhere that you can change the 'key' in the tail end of remote 1 and convert it to UHF, or was that change the 'key' on remote2 to make it IR?

I did a little checking, it is the latter. Swap the key and the TV2 remote becomes IR.

You would have to change the key on the TV2 remote. Changing a key on an IR remote will not transform it into a UHF remote.

#14 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the extra advice. Good to know!

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

You would have to change the key on the TV2 remote. Changing a key on an IR remote will not transform it into a UHF remote.

My IR only remotes do not have a key that can be turned over. And they are labeled IR. My remotes that are labeled IR/UHF do. And they can be either. And since I use single mode for my 622s, it doesn't matter whether I use IR or UHF.

#16 OFFLINE   Tinman!

Tinman!

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

Z

I'm not sure what exactly you were implying but if you meant by "I think TV2 is only controllable by RF and TV1 by IR" that TV1 is only controlled by IR that is incorrect (but correct about TV2, of course).

TV1 can be controlled by either IR or UHF, if you get a UHF Pro remote (6.0+?). Once set to UHF it works with both UHF and IR.

I have a 622 and 722 with two extra UHF Pro remotes (total of six remotes). The extra two UHF Pro remotes normally mirror the two TV2 remotes that came with the receivers.

But sometimes I switch one of the extra remotes to control TV1 via USB, with a spare TV1 UHF Pro key inserted.

The other extra remote I also use with the 622 in my bedroom, by turning its TV2 UHF Pro key upside down. That lets me quickly switch it to operate TV1 in the bedroom, so my wife and I can each have our own remotes. In order to be able to swap without reconfiguring the receiver I just have to ensure that the TV1 and TV2 remotes are on the same channel/frequency (no biggie).

--
Mike

#17 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

I thought you would be able to use 2 UHF remotes with a 722 receiver but was told by an installer that with some receivers that's possible, but not with the 722.

Is that correct? What's the differrence in using their kit rather than just purchasing another TV2 remote?

Thanks for your help!

the only thing you need to do is change the address on both uhf remotes to be the same:D

but if you still want a ir to uhf device i recommend you copy and paste this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/...300185132534

i really think you don't need this though.

#18 OFFLINE   ClaudeR

ClaudeR

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

I do this with the 722. I bought the 6.2 remotes on ebay, for TV1, I used the paperclip method to switch the selector, and cut out part of the black key so the switch wouldn't change. My TV1 remotes have a modified black key, my TV2 remotes have the blue #2 (I have two remotes at each location)

One thing to add, the TV1 remote had to be on the A channels, and the TV2 on the B channels. I don't remember the specifics, but that's how I got it to work.

#19 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for your help!

The installer is wrong. I have two TVs downstairs connected to a Vip722 upstairs (operating in dual mode) with both TV1 and TV2 controlled separately via UHF remotes. You need to replace the TV1 IR remote that came with the 722 with a UHF remote. I got a 6.3 remote kit from ebay for $20 but I think you can order directly from Dish for more money. The manual shows (on page 2, top, for the Vip622 - the 722 is the same) that you need to install the green key with the black 1:

http://www.dishnetwo...emoteManual.pdf

#20 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information and their situations.

We have put the 722 in a closet with other hardware, just to keep the living room "uncluttered," so we'll need a UHF remote there. We will also be operating the 722 in dual mode, so will need the TV2 remote (UHF) in the bedroom as well.

It sounds from the usage some of you are making of the remotes that we can just order another TV2 remote and not get the IR to UHF kit, which will save $20.

We will be sure to try the set-ups you have all recommended to get it to work correctly, and I'll be back if we have trouble!

Thanks again!! And a Happy New Year to you all!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...