Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2 UHF Remotes w/1 722??

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

Just be sure that you also get the set of "keys" along with it so you can change one of the UHF remotes to TV1.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   reesd

reesd

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi All,

This thread was very helpful, but it sill took me a while to get the right combination because I didn't have the right TV1 key (blue with the black 1). So let me give the exact steps I used based on the above.

Background:
The UHF PRO 6.3 remotes has two switches.
The first switch is next to the battery and has an A and B option. I will call this the band switch. This basically decides which frequency the remote is working across. For some reason when using two UHF remotes TV1 needs to use band B amnd TV2 needs to use band A.
The second switch is hidden behind the "key" which is the piece of plastic that sticks into the bottom end of the remote (see the manual at link above for a good picture of what the key is). This switch has 4 settings. The different keys force the switch into one of the 4 settings. I will call this the key switch and number them from 1-4 from the left. This switch basically determines what TV it controls (switch 1 is TV2 and switch 3 is TV1)

Steps:
Press System Info on the cable box

On the TV 2 remote: Set the band switch to A. Set the the key switch to 1 (or insert the blue key with the black 2 which forces the key switch to 1). Press the record button on the remote - the Secondary Remote Address field on System Info screen should change to something like "UHF Pro Band A".

On the TV 1 remote: Set the channel switch to B. Set the the key switch to 3 (or insert the blue key with the black 1 which forces the key switch to 3). Press the record button on the remote - the Secondary Remote Address field on System Info screen should change to something like "IR/UHF Pro Band B".

#23 OFFLINE   DaGnome

DaGnome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

I do this with the 722. I bought the 6.2 remotes on ebay, for TV1, I used the paperclip method to switch the selector, and cut out part of the black key so the switch wouldn't change. My TV1 remotes have a modified black key, my TV2 remotes have the blue #2 (I have two remotes at each location)

One thing to add, the TV1 remote had to be on the A channels, and the TV2 on the B channels. I don't remember the specifics, but that's how I got it to work.

I can't seem to find any information about this 'paperclip' method... neither thru forums or even google. Can you provide some more info?

My issue is that I run a 722 in Single mode (so i can us PiP), yet want to use the RF remote so that other rooms can control the receiver. I can't seem to find a way to do that. The 2ndary remote is a 6.3 model but it only came with one key, a Blue with Black #2 on it.

Is there some way to convert this key to a primary key? Or can I buy the keys independently of a remote? (don't need a whole remote).

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok.. never mind.. I figured out something that works... though not sure why. I can't seem to duplicate the original funtionality to test (that is #1 controls via RF and #2 only controls via dual mode)

What I did, just in case anyone wants to try it:
This results in Remote #2, RF, to be used as Primary, as well as #1 remote via IR.

1) Press System Info on Receiver
3) Press the record button on Remote #2,
3) Remove the key from your Remote #2 (the blue chip with black #2 on it).
4) Press the record button on #2 remote again. Notice the system info will say Primary Receiver Address has changed. Both addresses should now be identical.
5) Using Remote #2 select "Done".
6) Replace the Blue chip in #2 and enjoy.

Again, I'm not sure why this is working now... but it does for me.. so I'm not complaining. Hope it helps someone else.

#24 OFFLINE   jimmyj

jimmyj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

yes you can use uhf on side one you have to chage key in the bottom and than you have to change to the address in the program menu just push the sys info and press and hold the sat button and than select address# than pess the record button and than the # key and this will chage the adress and the sec uhf remote will work

#25 OFFLINE   jimmyj

jimmyj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

I can't seem to find any information about this 'paperclip' method... neither thru forums or even google. Can you provide some more info?

My issue is that I run a 722 in Single mode (so i can us PiP), yet want to use the RF remote so that other rooms can control the receiver. I can't seem to find a way to do that. The 2ndary remote is a 6.3 model but it only came with one key, a Blue with Black #2 on it.

Is there some way to convert this key to a primary key? Or can I buy the keys independently of a remote? (don't need a whole remote).

Any help would be appreciated.

you will have to buy the 6.3 remote and it comes with new keys for the back and than you put in the black #1 and program to reciever and it will work

#26 OFFLINE   jimmyj

jimmyj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

if you can get me there before sunday race i will set it up for you !

#27 OFFLINE   Kelmey

Kelmey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

This IS possible to do, dont listen to your installer, he told me the same. Did you upgrade from an existing system? If so, did you keep your old UHF remote? Use your NEW UHF remote for TV1 and your OLD UHF remote for TV2. I did this just last week, so I know it works.

1. Remove the blue TV2 tab from the new remote. You will notice there's a switch in there (its white). Move that switch all the way to the right and then back one click.

2. Go to your DVR and press sytem info, you will see your remotes and what type they are.

3. Hold down SAT until it flashes, then push the rec button, that's all it should take.

4. The old TV2 remote shouldn't have to have its switch moved. Leave it as it is and repeat steps 2 and 3.

Note: The TV 2 tab will have to remain out of the remote. I actually just ripped my TV 1 tab out of the other remote since you wont have a need for it anymore and modified it to fit in the remote.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#28 OFFLINE   mrzeld

mrzeld

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

is there anything special that needs to be done to use 2 (or more) UHF remotes on the same TV? what if i want to use 2 or 3 UHF remotes to control TV2 (from different rooms) and use a UHF remote and an IR remote for TV1?

#29 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

You can use as many UHF Pro remotes as you want for TV2 - they just all have to be set to the same address. UHF Pro 6.0, 6.2, 6.3, or 8.0 would work - mix and match. 6.2 or 6.3 would have to be set to A range to work with 6.0 or 8.0 remotes though.

To use a UHF Pro remote for TV1 (in Single mode the TV2 remote would work TV1 too), it will have to be either a 6.2 or 6.3. It must not be the same address and A/B range as TV2, but if you hit the Record button on a 6.2/6.3 with the switch under the key in "position 3", TV1 will accept either IR or UHF Pro on the address used by that remote (and then you can control it either by IR or UHF Pro).

#30 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

I can't seem to find any information about this 'paperclip' method...

Paperclip? I thought it was the toothpick method. Search on that and I think you will find it. ;)
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#31 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hate to bring this back from the dead - But I just got my second UHF remote for TV2 on my 722. I need one remote for downstairs and one for upstairs. TV1 is on the IR which is OK for now.
I can't seem to get the two TV2 remotes to work at the same time. When I set one up, the other stops working the 722. I can only get one of the remotes to control the 722 at a time. The remote that came with the 722 is a 6.3 IR/UHF Pro and the newer remote is 6.4 IR/UHF Pro.
Shouldn't I be able to get them both to work the 722 at the same time?

#32 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

.... Shouldn't I be able to get them both to work the 722 at the same time?

Yes, you just need to set the remote code to the same number on both remotes.
-GA

#33 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

Is there some way to convert this key to a primary key? Or can I buy the keys independently of a remote? (don't need a whole remote). ...

This thread is one of the most confusing threads I've seen. There are many contradictory and thus each contradictory pair contain at least one wrong post.

When you operate in Single Mode, TV1 and TV2 are one and the same. Just use two RF remotes set to the same address and you'll be good to go.

The "issue" of TV1 control with RF only exists in Dual Mode.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 27 June 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes, you just need to set the remote code to the same number on both remotes.

The code you speak of is something like "5" or something like that?
When I put the code into the remote (record + 5), it seems to make the other remote stop working and I have to perform the same thing on the other remote to get it to work and thus the NEW remote stops working (the receiver).

This is the most confusing thing I have come across in my time with Dish. I hate to say it but adding multiple remotes to D* was fairly easy and uneventful I had 6 in my house.

Can I get an easy step by step order of what is needed to get the two remotes to work at the same time? I have my 722 in dual mode and have TV2 split to a tv upstairs and one downstairs thus I need this second remote.

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE:
OK, I followed the link from l8er - remote code. It made even less sense than a lot of what I read in this thread as to how to add extra UHF remotes. BUT I did something somewhere and now the two remotes are working TV2 like they should. I have no idea what I did or what happened (codes changed for TV2 from 5 to 1 and then I changed it back to 5 again somehow) but the important thing is it's working now. Thanks for the replies. I made notes just incase I get more remotes in the future. Amazing.

Edited by jlluck, 27 June 2009 - 06:10 PM.
update

#35 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

When I put the code into the remote (record + 5), ...

I have no idea what I did or what happened (codes changed for TV2 from 5 to 1 and then I changed it back to 5 again somehow) ..

After you change the code in the remote, pressing Record while the receiver's Sys Info screen is showing changes the receiver to expect that remote code. By pressing Record first, you changed the receiver to match whatever was in the remote, then changed the remote to something else.

It should be as simple as 1) bring up Sys Info to see what code the existing remote is using, 2) set the new remote to that code (no need to press Record), 3) watch TV.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#36 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

I have been using UHF remotes since they first came out since all my gear is in the basement service closet and all the complications mentioned here are unwarranted. I have a 508, 625 & 722 running with UHF remotes and a separate one on TV1 and one on TV2 for the 625 & 722. In my house on any TV, channels 55 for the 508, 22 & 44 for the 625 and 33 & 66 for the 722. Although, there is a UHF set up difference between the 625 and the 722 which I had to figure out on my own. DISH had no clue. On the 722 you can not and do not move the cursor on the Sys Info page to the remote channel. You skip that step. Also on TV1 you need to make sure that the remote address is an odd number. This especially applies to the 21.0. When set properly not only will you see the address number change, but next to it it will say "Pro Band A", which is the "odd" numbered address. "Pro Band B" is even and will not work. I am using a mixture of 21.0's and 6.3's with our hot water system pipes as the antenna. Works great.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...