Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony discontinuing projection TV's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:52 PM

Sony is discontinuing production of rear projection LCD & LCOS TV's, concentrating instead on flat panels. It has resulted in some fire sale prices on rear projectors, with prices under $1500 for 55 inch and under $1800 for 60 inch 1080p 120 hz. receivers at some retailers.

http://www.charlotte...ory/422591.html

That hurts! I bought a 720p Sony 55 inch RP LCD two years ago for around $2600! :(

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

Charlie... don't feel bad or alone about your purchase. I bot an Optoma HD7100 for $3,000 about 15 months ago and it has recently been found in the $1000 range. Progress marches on. :(
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Wow I can't say I'm shocked since Sony has been pushing the Bravia line pretty hard, but it does come as a bit of a surprise that LCOS is going away.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

I wonder if they noticed a limitation in the technology...
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   wmj5

wmj5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

directv since 1995: Could someone tell me if samsung makes sony's lcd tv screens, I just heard that from a freind and I don't know.

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

wow... that's surprising... i guess i don't feel too bad though... since I got my new sony at cost :D
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

no its because you can get a lcos60A3000(list$2200/sale$1800) and it cost to get a lcd 46xbr4(list$3500/sale$3000). Even thought the a3000 has been rated the 2nd best tv this year, theres no money in it. its a shame. :(

#8 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

directv since 1995: Could someone tell me if samsung makes sony's lcd tv screens, I just heard that from a freind and I don't know.

It's a joint venture between the two companies to produce the panels themselves. Link below;

http://www.sony.net/...714E/index.html
-Chris

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

For big screen formats they are a good choice and one I recommend to put on the short list of products to look at. I am surprised with the LCOS also.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#10 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I would lean more towards that they're noticing a trend in general consumers and their buying habits. The average consumer finds a flat panel television far more appealing than a bulky rear-projection (no offense intended RP owners :)), and these companies realize this. I'd heard rumblings about this at least a good year-->year and a half ago. They know that they can quietly discontinue RP's, continue developing bigger and better Plasma and LCD sets, and rake the public for more money overall since it's a more expensive technology.

A lot of people out there like the fact that if they decide to finally take the HD plunge, and spend a little extra money, they could hang their TV on the wall if they wanted "like a picture frame". :rolleyes: To your average Joe, that idea is still mind blowing.....

I'm a great example on the bulky factor. For the price I paid for my 40" panel, I could have gotten a 50" 1080p DLP RP set, but I don't have the room for it here. If I had the room, you bet your butt I'd have a nice big ol' projection set lighting up our living room. :D
-Chris

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

That is way I got my 60" Sony GWII. there was no way a LCD or Plasma in that size would be in my price range so the LCD RP was the right choice for me. Think it still would be today but perhaps a LCOS. Hmmmm.. Well my TV still has a lot of life in it so I don't have to worry but there does seem to be a cap been the Front Production and the Thin panels that DLPs and LCOS sets fit.

Well hopefully the other guys that have product in this area continue to develop in this area or 60" flat sets become affordable or my Sony LCD RP will be with me for a very long time. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#12 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

That is way I got my 60" Sony GWII. there was no way a LCD or Plasma in that size would be in my price range so the LCD RP was the right choice for me. Think it still would be today but perhaps a LCOS. Hmmmm.. Well my TV still has a lot of life in it so I don't have to worry but there does seem to be a cap been the Front Production and the Thin panels that DLPs and LCOS sets fit.

Well hopefully the other guys that have product in this area continue to develop in this area or 60" flat sets become affordable or my Sony LCD RP will be with me for a very long time. ;)

Some companies may for a little while in the grand scheme, but from what I understand, ultimately, this is a trend that will happen industry-wide.

I'm sure Sony being Sony is the only reason why they're going to be first.

Who knows, keep your fingers crossed. Maybe it'll backfire on them and the rest will hold off on discontinuing awhile longer.
-Chris

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

no its because you can get a lcos60A3000(list$2200/sale$1800) and it cost to get a lcd 46xbr4(list$3500/sale$3000). Even thought the a3000 has been rated the 2nd best tv this year, theres no money in it. its a shame. :(

This may be the real deal...humm!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#14 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

I would lean more towards that they're noticing a trend in general consumers and their buying habits. The average consumer finds a flat panel television far more appealing than a bulky rear-projection (no offense intended RP owners :)), and these companies realize this. I'd heard rumblings about this at least a good year-->year and a half ago. They know that they can quietly discontinue RP's, continue developing bigger and better Plasma and LCD sets, and rake the public for more money overall since it's a more expensive technology.

A lot of people out there like the fact that if they decide to finally take the HD plunge, and spend a little extra money, they could hang their TV on the wall if they wanted "like a picture frame". :rolleyes: To your average Joe, that idea is still mind blowing.....

I'm a great example on the bulky factor. For the price I paid for my 40" panel, I could have gotten a 50" 1080p DLP RP set, but I don't have the room for it here. If I had the room, you bet your butt I'd have a nice big ol' projection set lighting up our living room. :D

If you ask me, flat is phat! :lol:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#15 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

I recently hear flat pannels are huge energy hogs over projections. People with them will see bigger electrical bills I'm told. I just got a Pannasonic 61 inch projection for $1250 marked down from $1800. Hope it was a good buy.

#16 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Plasmas tend to be wattage hungry while most LCD's tend to be more thrifty. My Sony is Energy Star rated and its usage varies from 110 to 200 watts depending on the brightness/backlight settings. From what I can tell this is on par with most RPTV's.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...