Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did you know Verizon FiOS has NFL Sunday Ticket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

I put this post here only because it affects DirecTV more.

Of course, the reason the subject line is written that way is because of the phone call I just received from the telemarketing group within Verizon.

I have their FiOS Internet service, and was asked why I don't have FiOS TV. I said that I am very happy with my DirecTV service and would contemplate switching if there are problems with my DirecTV service. Asked for the important reasons I stay with DirecTV, I said consitency (because I've been a customer for almost 10 years and I am happy), my DVR recevers (three DTiVo's) and Sunday Ticket.

The CSR keyed on Sunday Ticket, and stated that FiOS now has access to Sunday Ticket. I said the Sunday Ticket contract with DirecTV expires in 2011, to which he stated that, "I believe we've licensed the Sunday Ticket so it is available now."

Wow. Bald-faced lying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

Wow. Think they are desperate to make that sale at all?
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#3 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

That is funny yet sad....I remember a few months back when I was talking to a Cox Customer Rep (due to my parents still having Cox and were having problems) and we got to talking about me personally and I said I was a D* person and she tried coaxing me into going back to Cox and I mentioned Sunday Ticket/EI, locals in HD, etc....she said Cox had all of those which of course they don't....:lol:

#4 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

I bet he was thinking of the NFL network... which is a selling point versus the cable companies.... but still, it's not ST.
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

Here are some of the results as of today form another forum, www.videohelp.com. Hopefully this is OK? If not Please edit.

What kind of sports fan are you?
24/7 obsessed sports nut - 7%

not a sports fan at all - waste of time - 39%

And that doesn't even break it down into types of sports.....

Could explain why ST is so expensive and still costs them money.

#6 ONLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

An occasional link to other forums is ok, if such link is very pertinent to the topic at hand (and doesn't require registration or fees to view.) The full link to that particular topic: http://forum.videohe...opic343087.html

Happy New Year!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

Kinda how like Charter tried telling me a couple years ago that they would have Sunday Ticket "next year". I laughed at them.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

This is just sad :nono2:
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Kinda like how TWC - Northeast Ohio's website says that even though subscribers don't get the NFL Network they won't miss out on any of their favorite/biggest games.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#10 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

i think the rep was uninformed and was talking about the NFL NETWORK!!!

which is available via Vz broadband and both Vz tv services (FiOS and D*)

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#11 OFFLINE   BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

I grew up an hour outside of Boston. So, it shouldn't be that surprising that I am a Patriots fan. Now, considering how many of their games I have watched this season without the need of NFLST it seems like a bad option by any provider.

Maybe I need to be a fan of other teams as well. :)

#12 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

I've never bought Sunday Ticket. I never have seen the value in it, because we get a good mix of games on my local stations, I generally watch NASCAR until that season is over anyway, and I can go to the local "racino" and watch if I really wanted to for the price of a few beers. However, to each his own.

But this level of cable dishonesty. Its disgusting.

But not unusual.

#13 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Old school folks around here may remember Pegasus (DIRECTV reseller, evil, and just plain awful. They sold out their interest to DIRECTV and my family was then free). I couldn't stand them and decided to go cable. Comcast promised me (this had to be 3+ years ago) that they would have Sunday Ticket the very next season. Cable = The Devil.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#14 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

I didn't want to get into a heated argument. This CSR/Telemarketer was fairly straightforward in believing that FiOS had Sunday Ticket.

Even if he were mistaken, if I didn't know better, I could have switched if the information mollified my concerns. However, because I am a happy DirecTV customer, I am not going anywhere. But if I were to go anywhere, it would be based upon the programming first and the pricing second. And if Verizon actually had Sunday Ticket, I'd be more inclined to switch to them.

If Verizon FiOS had Sunday Ticket, that is.

And an uninformed potential customer may acutally believe that.

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

Even better was when Dish was trying to buy DirecTV. I got calls from scummy Dish reps every week saying that they would come to my house and "swap" all my receivers since it would need to be done anyway once the merger was complete and I might as well do it now. Of course I knew better that all they would be doing is canceling my DirecTV and signing me up for Dish but some people would fall for it.

#16 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

i think the rep was uninformed and was talking about the NFL NETWORK!!!

I think that you hit the nail on the head. They would not be the only TV provider who tried to market the NFL network as the Sunday Ticket.

#17 OFFLINE   kstefanec

kstefanec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

I grew up an hour outside of Boston. So, it shouldn't be that surprising that I am a Patriots fan. Now, considering how many of their games I have watched this season without the need of NFLST it seems like a bad option by any provider.

Maybe I need to be a fan of other teams as well. :)

There are two reasons to have the Sunday Ticket. The first one is if you live in a different state than your favorite team. The second would be if you like to make friendly wagers on teams other than your favorite team.

I have the Sunday Ticket. My team is the Packers. I live in Wisconsin. So I guess my reason is the friendly wagers. Friendly I said. We only bet for bottles of Coca-cola. Money would be illegal so I will have no part of that. :sure::D

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

Cable = The Devil.

Yep.

Is there a more anti-consumer industry?

#19 OFFLINE   Sat4me

Sat4me

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

I guess they all lie to get business. I recently received a phone call from a Directv CSR who assured me that Directv had expanded their spotbeam in the Raleigh/Durham DMA so that all customers could get the locals in HD. This is nothing short of a lie and I told him so. He promised he would check further and call me back. Of course, I never received that call.

#20 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

An occasional link to other forums is ok, if such link is very pertinent to the topic at hand (and doesn't require registration or fees to view.) The full link to that particular topic: http://forum.videohe...opic343087.html

Happy New Year!
Tom

Thanks for the feedback.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...