Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All Directv HD is HD-Lite??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

On a cable forum the HD-Lite topic came up & one cable lover stated:
"Currently, Dish still has a few HD-Lite channels. ALL HD on DirecTV is HD-Lite either through 1080x1440 elliptical encoding or MPEG4 compression."

Is this guy right or way off?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

Elliptical encoding? Nice use of a fancy term that has little to do with HD. If this guy thinks MPEG4 is HD-Lite he is obviously demonstrating his complete ignorance of the subject.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

Wonder what he will say when cable (which is going to do it) goes to MPEG4.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Elliptical encoding? Nice use of a fancy term that has little to do with HD. If this guy thinks MPEG4 is HD-Lite he is obviously demonstrating his complete ignorance of the subject.

Dave

I googled "Elliptical encoding" and came up with magnetic resonance imaging - so is that the correct usage ? Does it mean something else ?

Back on topic - if it is HD-Lite - HD-Lite looks fine to me. Somehow I doubt it is though.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Digital by it's nature is compressed.
MPEG-2 uses an older algorithm while MPEG-4 is a newer algorithm that is able to work with smaller file sizes.

Does DirecTV, Dishnetwork, AND cable have some over compressed channels? YES.
Do the newer MPEG-4 channels look good? To me...yes.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Heem(JimmyG)

Heem(JimmyG)

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

Not sure about "HD Lite", I was under the impression that anything under full 1080P is "lite". I just changed over to D* about 4 days ago and I can pass on that most but not all of my HD channels thru D* are better than our old cable. Its just a crisper picture.

TV predictions posted an article a few months back that the head guy at "Dish" called the HD channels at D* "lite" to battle the amount of channels D* has vs dish

Lite or not the picture looks great

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

I was under the impression that anything under full 1080P is "lite".

Since there is zero 1080p broadcasting, how can you compare broadcast to a bluray/HD-DVD?
This isn't even apples to oranges.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   kstefanec

kstefanec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Couple of weeks ago, I read that the Japanese are working on the NEW HD, 4x's the resolution of 1080, so about 4000 something. So when that comes out, is a 1080p Blue-ray, HD-Lite?

If the picture looks good, I ain't complaining.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Technically all transmitted HD is "HD lite". All of it is compressed including live over the air broadcasts. The question then becomes what amount of compression is acceptable before you are able to notice any of the effects of compression.

MPEG4 is able to compress more than MPEG2 while delivering the same or better quality of picture.

While some of DirecTV's MPEG2 HD channels and broadcasts were "bit starved" to the point of being noticeable or objectionable, so far, in it's relatively short lifespan, MPEG4 appears to be doing much better, and providing much higher picture quality.

If it is "HD lite", it's okay by me. I think my HD pictures are fantastic.

Carl

#10 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

Technically all transmitted HD is "HD lite". All of it is compressed including live over the air broadcasts. The question then becomes what amount of compression is acceptable before you are able to notice any of the effects of compression.

MPEG4 is able to compress more than MPEG2 while delivering the same or better quality of picture.

While some of DirecTV's MPEG2 HD channels and broadcasts were "bit starved" to the point of being noticeable or objectionable, so far, in it's relatively short lifespan, MPEG4 appears to be doing much better, and providing much higher picture quality.

If it is "HD lite", it's okay by me. I think my HD pictures are fantastic.

Carl

I thought I read the BBC is now 1080p. I think it is H264 with AC3 ( I downloaded the TS they released for testing last year - don't remember the framerate though I think it was 50fps). *If* DirecTV (or anyone for that matter) wanted to switch to the same type of video - would it be a whole new infrastructure (encoders, receivers, etc.) or is the existing stuff software upgradeable ?

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

I thought I read the BBC is now 1080p. I think it is H264 with AC3 ( I downloaded the TS they released for testing last year - don't remember the framerate though I think it was 50fps). *If* DirecTV (or anyone for that matter) wanted to switch to the same type of video - would it be a whole new infrastructure (encoders, receivers, etc.) or is the existing stuff software upgradeable ?

None of the current HR2* series systems, can output a 1080p signal...

So it would require new hardware (at a minimum), on the home consumer side of the equation.

To answer the OP's question.

What is the exact definition of HD-Lite...
It is a fairly vague internet definition ?

Some people say it is HD Lite if it is not one of the approved ATSC resolutions.... even if the images falls "between" two of the approved ATSC

Some people say it is HD Lite if it is just compressed more then they like it to be. (since all HD we see in our homes is compressed, including optical based medias).

some people say it is HD Lite... when they are comparing it to something else, with no other basis.

Others say HD Lite... just because they don't know any better.

So since there is no exact definition of HD-Lite... there is no real answer to your question.

The MPEG-4 versions we get of the channels are un-altered.
They are at the same resolution that are received from their content providers.

Compression levels are what they are, and can account for some of the image quality issues.

Others... Some are received already in a compressed degraded state (some of the HD Locals for example, by over compressed broadcasters)... and the conversion to MPEG-4... can only be as good as it source.

Some HD content... is a pure as it can get via current technology standards from content provider to DirecTV... and then compressed as efficiently as possible via DirecTV to mpeg-4 and sent to us.

So my recommendation to the OP...
Redirect that poster on the cable-forum over here...
So he/she can explain how they feel DirecTV is HD-Lite is on all channels.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Cable Lover

Cable Lover

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

"Currently, Dish still has a few HD-Lite channels. ALL HD on DirecTV is HD-Lite either through 1080x1440 elliptical encoding or MPEG4 compression."

What cable fourm were you on? :eek:
RIP Insight.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

Thanks everyone. As usual, I learned A LOT here.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

What cable fourm were you on? :eek:

LMAO, I still have cable for my internet...until/if Fios EVER gets here.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

I've heard of ellipitical curve encryption. Is that what ellipitical encoding is based on?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#16 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

http://www.dslreport...-What-is-HDLite

Read right here
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#17 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

If that was comcastRick I would have even chuckled.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#18 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

I assume the MPEG 4 supports various compression levels. I understand that uncompressed HD is 19.2M bits/sec. Can 2M bits/sec at 720p or 1080i be still called HD?

I realize that MPEG4 enables greater compression at the same image quality as MPEG2. But I also hear that the broadcasters and carriers can really compress a ton. With some DVD players you can monitor the bit rate realtime. Wish the D-boxes would let us do that :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

I assume the MPEG 4 supports various compression levels. I understand that uncompressed HD is 19.2M bits/sec. Can 2M bits/sec at 720p or 1080i be still called HD?

I realize that MPEG4 enables greater compression at the same image quality as MPEG2. But I also hear that the broadcasters and carriers can really compress a ton. With some DVD players you can monitor the bit rate realtime. Wish the D-boxes would let us do that :lol:

19.2 is the ATSC channel standard but that is already compressed. In the TV studio it runs about 45Mbps and true raw, uncompressed HD is way above that.
My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:26 AM

19.2 is the ATSC channel standard but that is already compressed. In the TV studio it runs about 45Mbps and true raw, uncompressed HD is way above that.

"Uncompressed HD" would be the HDMI @ 1.4 Gb/s

AZ_Engineer:
SD VOD seems to becoming at about 3 Mb/s
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...