Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Optimum Online & Dish & FM Reception

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rtt2

rtt2

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:49 AM

I Subscribe to Dish & Optimum Online (my cable company's name for cable modem service in the NYMA). I don't subscribe to cable anymore so the cable company came and put a trap on the telephone pole to filter out the cable channels but still allow data to pass through for the cable modem. My question is: do FM/AM reception still come through for my stereo? In order to test I would have to buy a bunch of wires and spend some time hooking it up.
I live in a fringe area and get all my local channels from dish and don't have an antenna so connecting to the cable line would be the simplest solution for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:53 AM

Not if the system is NOT putting FM signals on the system in the first place, which most systems that ever did NO longer do. More than likely, YOUR system is not either. Our system USED to have FM service, but dumped it back in the late 80's, when they started offering Digital Cable Radio (now renamed Music Choice) that had the separate DCR receiver box.

#3 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 07:40 PM

I never heard of AM on cable but some cable companies used to compress a few FM stations & put them on side frequencies. Likedishrich says that's pretty much no longer the case with the new cable "radio" services. FM on cable sounded terrible anyway because it was compressed, noisy & mono.

I should think in Connecticut you would have decent OTA FM reception with a decent antenna on the roof or in the attic. But, of course you could be blocked by hills or something. FM is LOS.

AM, on the other hand, isn't LOS & you ought to get something with a simple shielded loop antenna or, with some interference, a long unshielded wire (esp. at night.)
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#4 Guest_AntAltMike_*

Guest_AntAltMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2003 - 04:43 PM

FM radio channels use the same frequencies occupied by cable channels 95, 96, and 97. I have never known of a cable company to compress FM, but I don't claim to have seen it all.

The bandwidth of cable channels 95-97 is too valuable to give to a relatively unimportant use. The cable company didn't need that bandwidth back in the late seventies and early eighties, but it does now. Also, it has been posted by others that there was some kind of retransmission rights issue that may have contributed to FM being taken off cable systems as well.

I have never known of a cable system carrying AM radio, which is too bad, because I get several requests every year for AM radio antenna enhancements for commercial customers, but I have no miracle product that offers more than a whit of AM signal improvement.

#5 OFFLINE   rtt2

rtt2

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:58 PM

http://www.sectv.com..._fmlineup.shtml
This cable company offers both FM reception and music choice. I was doing a consulting job and had to move to the area for a year. It was cool because all you had to do was hook a coax from the wall to the receiver and perfect reception. The area was surrounded by mountains and it was a real benefit. Its funny how much you don't appreciate things like this until they are gone.

#6 Guest_AntAltMike_*

Guest_AntAltMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2003 - 08:16 PM

I recently tried marketing an FM radio add-on to the master antenna system wiring in high-rise condos. Most of these buildings have separate wiring for cable and master antenna, so FM radio signal in the master antenna system wiring would be available to all of the residents. The residents would get excellent reception of thirty or more radio stations, whereas, on the lower floors of these buildings, they sometimes get half a dozen or fewer.

I priced this add-on modestly (about $2,000 for the whole building, which means a one-time cost of about $10 to $20 per unit) yet I get virtualy no interest from the homeowners. I have only installed two such systems. I thought I'd sell a dozen or more.

#7 Guest_AntAltMike_*

Guest_AntAltMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2003 - 09:07 AM

Originally posted by rtt2
http://www.sectv.com..._fmlineup.shtml
This cable company offers both FM reception and music choice

I see that they downconverted FM stations with frequencies from 102Mz to 108Mz to vacant spots between 88 and 102Mz, so as to make channel 97 available for the Inspirational Network.

Nevertheless, a cable TV trap designed to pass Broadband internet but block cable TV would likely block FM as well, since FM is ordinarily located in the 20Mz bandwidth between channel 6 and 98, and in this system, it is in the 14Mz bandwidth between 6 and 97.

It depends really on where the forward internet signal is located. The sub band is ordinarily used for upstream data transmission, and the cable TV set top boxes often get their data from a carrier around 108Mz. I have looked at a spectrum anyalzer display of a system that included broadband digital and seen a broadband waveform in the 4 Mz wide space between channels 4 and 5. Does anyone know if any cable companies are using that bandwidth for forward (downstream ) communication?

#8 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:18 PM

On an unrelated note, Cablevision's broadband internet access was about for 48 hours. Kept unplugging and replugging the modem. It FINALLY came back up just 20 minutes ago.

As much as we trash E*, they are not the ONLY tech guys with glitches.........
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

spam firewall