Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
DMA: Las Vegas, QAM?? COX??
Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:51 PM
What is QAM and if I were to pay for basic basic cable from Cox can I just plug that into my Dish OTA spot and get OTA HD Locals?
Otherwise what is a good outdoor antenna that I can diplex to both vip 622's?
Any idea if Vegas will be on the list for 2008 hd locals??
Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:59 PM
As for QAM from cable. Nope. The Dish receivers do not have a QAM tuner (your HDTV might), so no way to get your HD locals from a cable subscription via the Dish receiver.
-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:21 AM
2. Got to AVSForum and look in the HDTV local threads for your area. See what people are using and what type of successes they have.
3. Walk your neighborhood, look for people that have OTA. Ask a neighbor about theres and if they are having good success.
OTA is bit art and bit science. Local knowledge is very helpful. As a generalization, A lot of people have good success with Channel Master equipment. That is what I have and I am very happy with it but like I said above, I am in North Orange County so that most likely will not be as helpful since you are not in my area.
Based on getting 50-60 with an indoor antenna, if the antenna is a crappy one you might be able to accomplish what you are doing with a better indoor antenna though I am a big fan if you can go outdoors go outdoors and your based on your indoor numbers you should have a good shot outdoors for sure.