Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DMA: Las Vegas, QAM?? COX??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nitz369

nitz369

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

I am trying to understand this QAM thing, I just moved to Las Vegas and desperately need my locals, I tried $40 rabbit ears and get 50-60 reception on most channels, I am trying to avoid putting an outdoor antenna up if at all possible.

What is QAM and if I were to pay for basic basic cable from Cox can I just plug that into my Dish OTA spot and get OTA HD Locals?

Otherwise what is a good outdoor antenna that I can diplex to both vip 622's?

Any idea if Vegas will be on the list for 2008 hd locals??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I can't help you on the OTA from Las Vegas, but maybe someone else can...

As for QAM from cable. Nope. The Dish receivers do not have a QAM tuner (your HDTV might), so no way to get your HD locals from a cable subscription via the Dish receiver.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

1. Take a look at antennaweb.org. From there you should be able to get a general feel for the antenna type you need and how far you are from the tower.

2. Got to AVSForum and look in the HDTV local threads for your area. See what people are using and what type of successes they have.

3. Walk your neighborhood, look for people that have OTA. Ask a neighbor about theres and if they are having good success.

OTA is bit art and bit science. Local knowledge is very helpful. As a generalization, A lot of people have good success with Channel Master equipment. That is what I have and I am very happy with it but like I said above, I am in North Orange County so that most likely will not be as helpful since you are not in my area.

Based on getting 50-60 with an indoor antenna, if the antenna is a crappy one you might be able to accomplish what you are doing with a better indoor antenna though I am a big fan if you can go outdoors go outdoors and your based on your indoor numbers you should have a good shot outdoors for sure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...