Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 Srtikes...maybe more with EHDDs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

I have 2 VIP622s and three EHDDs 2-500g Maxtor's and a 100g Seagate in a enclosure. My Maxtor's only allow 3 moves before they want to reformat ...However my 100g has allowed me to move it between the receivers at least 20 or more times without a reformat. Has anyone else seen this? I would like to move the 500g drives back and forth between the receivers but I have them loaded and can not without the 3 strike rule:( ...but the 100g will move over and over without problems:)

Dave

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Good finding.
Will be particular HDD model or enclosure's USB controller are the reasons ?
Can you post the info ?

#3 OFFLINE   Tinman!

Tinman!

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

It could be that with such a small drive as the 100 GB that it was emptied during the moving. As I understand it if the drive is emptied of all programming it resets the 2-limit counter.

--
Mike

#4 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have a 500 GB Seagate and 2 722 receivers. The first time I moved to the other receiver I got the message that it had to be configured for the second receiver. That worked fine. After that I was able to move it back and forth without any messages. Now, both those receivers have been replaced (they had timer loss problems) with new ones. When I hooked up the Seagate it worked fine on both new ones and I got no messages. So it has now been used with 4 different receivers. Maybe I'm at my limit ?

Ernie

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

I have a 500 GB Seagate and 2 722 receivers. The first time I moved to the other receiver I got the message that it had to be configured for the second receiver. That worked fine. After that I was able to move it back and forth without any messages. Now, both those receivers have been replaced (they had timer loss problems) with new ones. When I hooked up the Seagate it worked fine on both new ones and I got no messages. So it has now been used with 4 different receivers. Maybe I'm at my limit ?
Ernie

Have you checked your Household Key values?
Menu - 6 - 3 - Counters then page down ~6 times.
If the values aren't zeros, you can swap as many times as you wish.
The values should be identical, by the way.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   Ernie7410

Ernie7410

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

Have you checked your Household Key values?
Menu - 6 - 3 - Counters then page down ~6 times.
If the values aren't zeros, you can swap as many times as you wish.
The values should be identical, by the way.

Tulsa:

I checked and have values (not all zeros) for household keys. They are the same for both my 722s.

Can you explain the household key some more? What is it really? How is it assigned?

Thanks,
Ernie

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

Tulsa:

I checked and have values (not all zeros) for household keys. They are the same for both my 722s.

Can you explain the household key some more? What is it really? How is it assigned?

Thanks,
Ernie

The Household key allows the user to swap the EHD between the receivers as many times as you want provided the keys are the same on each DVR. Apparently, Dish sent down a "hit" to everyone who paid their $40 and activated the USB port. Since the Household key was now different, some got the message that the drive was assigned to another receiver (different Household Key value) and needed to be reformatted. I'm not sure why everyone didn't have a problem but it seems only a few did.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

My Hard drive counter is set to 0x00. Does that mean I can't swap? Why didn't I get a hit for this?

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

My Hard drive counter is set to 0x00. Does that mean I can't swap? Why didn't I get a hit for this?

That means that you don't have the Household Key set. Therefore, you can't have unlimited swaps. I understood that everyone that had the USB port enabled was to get the hit. I don't know if calling Tech Support would do any good but it couldn't hurt to try.

#10 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

That means that you don't have the Household Key set. Therefore, you can't have unlimited swaps. I understood that everyone that had the USB port enabled was to get the hit. I don't know if calling Tech Support would do any good but it couldn't hurt to try.

From the poll I put up,although only a small sample responded, far from everyone has gotten a household key. And from what some have said, calling Tech Support will not get you one.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#11 OFFLINE   jimb

jimb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

both my 622 and 722 are set to zeros... I hope they get this thing going soon.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

From the poll I put up,although only a small sample responded, far from everyone has gotten a household key. And from what some have said, calling Tech Support will not get you one.

I didn't mean to suggest that everyone had gotten the hit, only that they were to get the hit. It seems to be taking quite a long time to assign these Household Keys. I wonder how many customers have enabled the USB port.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...