Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV on the fritz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

Hi all...

I currently have a JVC AV-27BP6, a 27" SD TV that's about 6 years old. The TV worked fine on the one side of the room plugged into one circuit breaker. The wife then wanted the TV on the other side of the room, so I had to plug the TV into another outlet which was connected to a different circuit. Since then, I've been exeperiencing horizontal white lines near the bottom of the tube. Occasionally the white lines turn to black ones and group together. They move around the bottom of the screen for a few seconds, then leave for a few minutes, then come back. Now I thought the problem was the fact that there could be interference on the line so I plugged the TV back in the old outlet and I'm still getting the same problem. I know it has to be the TV because I've had the problems on my 501 (S-Video, soon to be a T-60) as well as my VCR (RCA Jacks). And no, I don't have a DVD player, but just getting my first one in the mail on Monday, yay!.

So I was wondering if anyone else ever experienced these kinds of problems. If I can't fix them, then I'll need a few suggesstions on what are some good choices in terms of 27" TVs. I'm not looking to spend more than $500.

I know you guys are knowledgeable people and so hopefully it won't come to having to buy a new TV (My other two TVs are old Sonys from 1988 and 1984). Thanks for your replies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:34 PM

If you need a new tv, I'd recommend a Toshiba flat-screen. The one I bought is this one:

http://www.bestbuy.c...1&cat=24&scat=0

It has many inputs including S-video, component video and two sets of composite jacks. It also has stable sound control leveling the volume of programs and commercials.

I find the picture on this tv to be superb, and I definitely recommend the flat-screen, even if it costs a little more. It is worth it.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, Karl. I was browsing Consumer Reports and the Toshiba was the highest rated model. If it does turn out that I can't do something about my TV, I think it'll come down to a 27" Toshiba flat screen or 27" Sony Wega. Is the Sony's PQ really worth the bigger price tag, or are you just paying for the name?
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#4 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 01:12 PM

I believe that you are paying for the name. If you go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, you can see both side by side and decide for yourself. I personally liked the Toshiba better, and with the lower price, I felt I couldn't go wrong.

On the other hand, our local Costco has a Philips 27" flat-screen for $349 right now. It seems like a good unit as well.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...