Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Telephone really necessary?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:54 PM

Hey there All.......

Well, it looks like my Dish Network system is broke and it will
cost me more than it is worth to fix it. So I am going to Direct.

Now here is where I need advice on several issues.

1. Is a phone connection absolutely necessary or is it like Dish
and I only need it for pay per view?

2. Anyone have recommondations for a PVR (or whatever Direct
calls it)

3. Anyone have any recommondations for a general basic
receiver? I hear that the RCA's are good.

Thanks and take care,

-J

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:14 PM

1. A phone line is needed only if you order pay-per-view OR

2. You have a Directv HDVR2 (DirecTivo Series 2). The HDVR2 is a great unit (although I don't have one). I have Ultimatetv, and it is wonderful, but units are no longer being produced. There are good deals to be found on Series I and Series II units at www.americansatellite.com

3. I have both a RCA and Mitsubishi (made by Hughes) standard receiver in addition to my two RCA UTV units. Both have pros and cons. Also consider Samsung, as they seem to be feature-rich. Sony, Mitsubishi, and Hughes basic receivers are all the same - they are all made by Hughes.

There are many of us that made the same move you are making and have been very satisfied. The D* PVR's are truly great units, and you'll wonder how you watched tv without one.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   Crazy 1

Crazy 1

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:46 PM

Hello Papillo-j, I have a RCA 485RG allthough it isn't a Directivo I think their products are pretty good now. And I agree with Karl_f as far as the PPV. Good luck with which ever receiver you choose. And welcome to the world of DirecTv they are a good company to deal with, as I used to be an E* customer and I switched when my E* receiver bit the dust, due to no special upgrades after being a loyal customer for 4.5 years, seen no reason to stay.
Sat since 10/94 - Start D* then E* :nono2: (mistake) back to D* since 10/01 and Feeling the Joy!

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:35 PM

Welcome Papillo-J....I too have an RCA receiver thats a non PVR and Crazy 1 and Karl are right youll be happy with any receiver unit you choose...Ive got an RCA 430RG which after a software fix is now a very good unit.....And I agree with them as well about the phones lines only necessary for PPV and I believe the sports subcription packages too like Sunday Ticket...etc..:hi:
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:11 AM

One of the points I was trying to make is that a phone line is absolutely necessary with a DirecTivo. It calls out from time to time and will disable itself if it is unable to do so. Those with DirecTivo's can elaborate.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#6 OFFLINE   StevenRapp

StevenRapp

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:51 PM

Direct TIVO is the way to go. I have owned both ultimate TV and the Direct Tivo and for me there is no comparison.... But, that is my personal opinion....

With the Direct Tivo you need the phone line not at all times but minimally at least once every two weeks. The reason for that is that if the system can't connect during the two week period then your todo list and Program guide will get screwed up..... SO, if you read into that, you don't need it plugged in at all times. And you can order PPV without the phone being plugged in. BUT, the problem with it is that it may not show up on your next bill, sometimes it takes a month or two for them to bill it....

#7 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:17 PM

I am going to call tomorrow and see about getting switched over.

I think that I am going to have the new antenna moved to the side of the house rather than on the roof like the current one is. Who would have thought that the risk of snow drift burying the antenna was that realalistic.

I found it interesting that when I spoke with both Direct and Best Buy, I heard the same thing. If I want an end game situation of a regular receiver in one room and a PVR in the other, then I need to get 2 regular receivers for free and buy the PVR in addition. That just sounded silly, I would have been happy if they gave me a credit towards the PVR for the second receiver.

Unless they are willing to give me the 2-4 splitter (I do not think that they will) I think that I will have the dish driven to 2 rooms (one signal each) and just run the PVR with only one input. Later when I have a little more cash I will buy this splitter and run the second channel. The fish to run the second coax should be pretty simple considering where everything is.

Does anyone out there think that there will be any problem running a HDVR2 with only one input hooked up? I am not going to be doing anything really insane light floating a CMOS input and blow out the receivers am I?

Thanks,

-J

#8 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 09:31 PM

well when you do Switch over let us all know

Digital Cable 99-02
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#9 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 05:36 PM

Originally posted by papillo-j
I found it interesting that when I spoke with both Direct and Best Buy, I heard the same thing. If I want an end game situation of a regular receiver in one room and a PVR in the other, then I need to get 2 regular receivers for free and buy the PVR in addition. That just sounded silly, I would have been happy if they gave me a credit towards the PVR for the second receiver.

Unless they are willing to give me the 2-4 splitter (I do not think that they will) I think that I will have the dish driven to 2 rooms (one signal each) and just run the PVR with only one input. Later when I have a little more cash I will buy this splitter and run the second channel. The fish to run the second coax should be pretty simple considering where everything is.

Does anyone out there think that there will be any problem running a HDVR2 with only one input hooked up? I am not going to be doing anything really insane light floating a CMOS input and blow out the receivers am I?

Thanks,

-J

You should get all necessary switches and cabling with your installation. They know the DirecTiVo requires 2 lines and how a second room complicates things, and the newest multi-sat dishes they are installing have a built-in 5x4 switch.

The phone line is no longer required for a DirecTiVo to work except during the initial set-up. It used to disable itself after 28 days without a call, but the latest software update changed that.

Now, it will nag you once every day to connect it if it hasn't dialed-out in a month, but it will continue to operate just fine otherwise. The PPV-via-remote is also disabled as it is on any receiver that hasn't called in recently.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#10 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 05:50 PM

Ok, here is what I have found out so far.....

The fellow that I would like to get to install the system will not do the D* offer of free hardware. He does not like the receivers that come with that offer.

He is offering me 2 RCA DRD430 receivers plus dish and installation for 50 bucks.

In addition, he is willing to work with me to upgrade one DRD430 to a DRD450 and upgrade the other to a HDVR2 (the freebie plan does not allow for variation from baseline). He says that it will be an additional 20 dollars for the 430->450 upgrade but I suspect that he misspoke because the 450 costs $100 more than the 430. He is working on getting me a quote on the PVR.

I also finally found a knowledgeable person as Hughes that was able to confirm for me that an HDVR2 CAN BE RUN with only one input. I am going to run that way for a while until I find the cash and time to put in a multiswitch.

Will let you know how it goes......

-J

#11 OFFLINE   johntoto11

johntoto11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:28 AM

I think I saw switches that would work for you for about $20.00 plus shipping on Ebay.You may also want to call Directv and tell them the situation. Try the Customer Retention Dept. Tell the general number person just that "You would rather discuss the matter with the Customer Reten. Dept." They will probably send you through. There are some nice folks that work in that dept. Happy Directving!

#12 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:33 PM

Well, the two local shops that I asked for quotes never called me back like they said that they would. I find that just un-professional, you can at least call me and tell me that you are going to no bid the job.

I ended up going ot orbitsat.com and found what I thought was a very good deal. The package that I ordered comes with the bigger dish (the one with a multiswitch built in) so I don't have a problem anymore.

I have referred your suggestion about a switch off of ebay to my neighbor. He had a HDVR2 installed receintly and was under the impression that he would need another dish to drive it and his other receiver. I enlightened him with your suggestion.

Thanks,

-J

spam firewall