Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SVideo Selectors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 02:44 PM

I'm thinking about picking up an Svideo source selector from RadioShack for when I get Bell Express Vu. My A/V receiver only has three s/video inputs, SAT, VCR, DVD, and all three are currently being used. I could hook up the 3100 directly yo my TV, but my Video 2 in doesn't have svideo and I would like to stay away from composite. Question, with an Svideo selector, how much, (if any) picture degradation would I see? Normally the difference would be so minute I wouldn't care (like right now). I'm just worried that if I add in a second break I will start to notice degradation because of it. Here's how it will go: TV to A/V receiver, A/V receiver to selector, selector to 508 & 3100.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 05:19 PM

If you plan on buying a $20 switch, your going to see a loss in picture quality. The better ones have an ac adapter and a built in booster to make up for the loss. I would run the vcr into the composite video input 2.

#3 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:52 PM

dang, I just bought one of those last night. Oh well, I think it will do just fine on my 27 inch tv.

Can't believe I have 4 s-video's plugged, still not enough room.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:05 PM

I would run the vcr into the composite video input 2.

Yeah but that kinda defeats the purpose of having an SVHS VCR :( I could use the inputs on my VCR to connect the 3100, but the'yre often occupied by my Sony Digital 8 camcorder. I'm pretty sure the selectors from RS are amplified.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 03:11 PM

Steve, I have the Rat Shack switch that converts composite to SVid and Analog audio to Toslink and it works great. Downside: it cost $170 and the remote is supposed to learn your power codes but it won't learn my Dish codes.

SIMA makes one that is $139. http://www.netbored....ctors/svs4d.htm
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 08:17 PM

What a time for something to go wrong :( Having the convience of a remote is well Worth the money and for $140 the quality should be excellent. But about an hour ago by CD burner went to hell, if I can find the Philips DVD burner for a decent price I'm going to get it to replace my CD-R with it. This was an unexpected set back for sure :( But I feel getting another CD burner will be a waste of money since it will be replaced by a DVD burner sooner or later. BEV might have to wait a little while longer.
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 08:30 AM

$170 on a video switch, your almost there to a lower-end AV reciever with S-Video switching.. :)

#8 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 10:46 AM

Actually the price one the Radio Shack switch was reduced to $99.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   ERSanders

ERSanders

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 12:14 PM

I've mentioned this before, but here goes again. Look at this (if you can find it for sale anywhere) http://osdn.pricegra...242d814f9e748bd

It is FULLY AUTOMATIC (or manually switchable if you want), 3 s-vid/composite inputs, 1 composite input, 4 s-vid or composite outputs.

I have two of them and they have worked flawlessly for about nine months. They send thru to the TV whichever device was last turned on by the STB's/DVD's/etc. own remote.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 02:18 PM

Steve,

I am using this $30 Recoton A/V selector switch which has S-Video.

http://www.bestbuy.c...at=784&scat=811

Even though it's a passive unit (not powered) it works just fine. I ran a video test pattern through the S-Video jacks and still came up with a full 500 lines of horizontal resolution with very minimal noise. Quite frankly I think passive units sometimes do better because some cheap amplified powered switchers can actually introduce noise to the video signal.

Don't worry about signal degradation. More likely than not, you won't see any. Just keep the cable lengths as short as possible.

#11 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 02:32 PM

Originally posted by PeterB
$170 on a video switch, your almost there to a lower-end AV reciever with S-Video switching.. :)

My A/V receiver has 7 Video inputs with S-Video and 2 component but I wanted a solution for recording from my 501 or 6000 onto VHS without tieing up the A/V receiver.

This way I don't have to have the A/V receiver on and I can watch either a DVD, the other Dish box or play a CD or listen to the radio while recording something else.

It's a pretty cool setup. I can also send the signal to the bedroom via a modulator and control either Dish box from there with the UHF remote.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#12 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 06:26 PM

Well maybe I can afford one after all :) Called Philips and my CD burner is still under warrenty, so they'll send me a replacement for free. So no DVD burner for me yet, but at least I can continue with my Bell quest. I'll look over everything mentioned here, my time frame to get a BEV system is late April-May, so in the next month-month and a helf I'll make my decision on which one to purchase. Thanks all for the suggestions!

I ran a video test pattern through the S-Video jacks and still came up with a full 500 lines of horizontal resolution with very minimal noise.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation Chris! :)
Down With Verizon!

#13 OFFLINE   johntoto11

johntoto11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 07:37 PM

I went to Sears and bought A Sony a/v selector wish s video it has 4 device imputs with s video, and one set of rca, s video outputs. It is A manual push button switch. I use all gold plated av cables for my entire HT setup.I bought most of my av cables at walmart.Their good quality at A good price. Reg price at Sears was I think 57.00 for the switch. Sears price matched the cheapest internet price I could find for about $41.00.I got A 3 year extended replacement warranty for about $5.00 more.I heard av switches have problems after A couple of years. I also at the same time bought A Sony DVD player that they price matched for $94.00. (reg. $100.00) . I'd say the picture quality change on my SONY 32 inch Triniton ,was either none or at the most 4% or 5% worse. all in all, most of the time I can't tell the difference. I'm very glad I now use A switch.Also Remember , if you try to get A price match at Sears , go prepared with printouts of the internet prices. I also told them I had to drive 50 miles to get to the store, which I did. At first the sales guy said he couldn't match the prices, but he caved and gave them to me any way. He just said "Don't tell anyone". Oops! I love Sears. Good luck!

#14 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Chris Blount
Steve,

I am using this $30 Recoton A/V selector switch which has S-Video.

http://www.bestbuy.c...at=784&scat=811

Even though it's a passive unit (not powered) it works just fine. I ran a video test pattern through the S-Video jacks and still came up with a full 500 lines of horizontal resolution with very minimal noise. Quite frankly I think passive units sometimes do better because some cheap amplified powered switchers can actually introduce noise to the video signal.

Don't worry about signal degradation. More likely than not, you won't see any. Just keep the cable lengths as short as possible.

That looks like exactly like the one I have, except it says GE on it. Glad to hear it doesn't lose quality.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...