Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why no built in wireless?????

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

I can't believe I must setup a standalone wireless bridge to connect this new 722 to my home network. Most people do not setup their internet router next to their tv and don't want blue cables racing across the floor. :mad: I am simply at a loss to understand why this receiver doesn't have a built in wireless card At the very least you should be able to plugin a wireless usb dongle to the 722. This bridge stuff is so old skoool. Does it need DOS too? :rolleyes:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Knon2000

Knon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I can't believe I must setup a standalone wireless bridge to connect this new 722 to my home network. Most people do not setup their internet router next to their tv and don't want blue cables racing across the floor. :mad: I am simply at a loss to understand why this receiver doesn't have a built in wireless card At the very least you should be able to plugin a wireless usb dongle to the 722. This bridge stuff is so old skoool. Does it need DOS too? :rolleyes:

Alot of people have their house wired for ethernet.
Wireless bridges are not that expensive, however, a hardwired connection is definitely a better option if it is available to use.
A wireless card is an option that wouldn't be heavily used, basicially making it an expensive option that really only serves a small percentage of the unit owners.
Proud user of
3 HR20-700's
2 HR20-100's
1 HR10-250
with 3 HR10's on Standby

#3 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Your kidding right?

Do you have a telephone line there? If it's run on Cat5 you can use 2 pair for the ethernet.
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600
Control4 Media controller
Klipsch RB-25 Fronts, RC-25 Center
Klipsch CDT-3800-C In-ceiling rears x 4

#4 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

You can use the built-in homeplug instead of running cables.

#5 OFFLINE   bartendress

bartendress

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Try using Pascal...:rolleyes:

I still can't believe they expect me to have a TV and electricity...

Is there a government program to help me out?
"Some people are like Slinkys.
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs." -Anon.

#6 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

I have to agree, that for many people, having USB enabled to simply plug in a USB wireless card would be easy. This has been around for some time, even the TiVo2 series had ability to plug wireless via USB.

Ethernet bridging is complicated and expensive, and homeplug is not viable for some people. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to enable usb to accept wireless applications but it would be nice...

#7 OFFLINE   Schizm

Schizm

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

yeah, the TiVo series 2 was only an 802.11b type network at first. You could get a G type adapter direct from TiVo a year or so later for a high price. The wireless B type network made streaming music cumbersome.

ftr, I ran a CAT5e cable with my TiVo and in our new house for our 622. It's winter time so attic work in Florida is actually possible.

#8 OFFLINE   desmo907

desmo907

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Same thought here. I suspect they will in the next version. The home network penetration is growing and many opt for it rather then run cat-5. I don't want to run cat-5 nor use the power option.

#9 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

I looked into the wireless bridges until I read through the posts about homeplug and went that route. Because I have 2 622s I would have needed 2 wireless bridges but only 1 homeplug.

So far the $20 I spent on the homeplug adapter has been money well spent. Now if one of my 622s would stop rebooting, I'd be happy.

Miner

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

What do you all do with your Network connection? Mine just sits there connected....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   Schizm

Schizm

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:08 AM

Mine just sits there connected....

ditto

#12 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

phrelin,

You mean y'all arn't able to stream videos from one ViP to another, seamlessly move copies from the DVR to computer and watch iMovies?

I'm sorry, I must have been thinking about something useful.

Mine does nothing but occupy an IP slot.

Miner

#13 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

Can you even buy a pc or laptop these days that DOESN'T come with a preinstalled wireless????? Maybe, but when the boxes at ChinaMart all come with wireless included, and your alleged top-of-the-line 722 doesn't come with wireless preinstalled, that's a problem.

A built in wireless outlet, built into the 722, is what I'm talking about. That would be great. What would be nice is you turn on the 722 and in the setup screens is a screen to check your wireless connection.

To the contrary, most people do not have ethernet wired in their house. My 60 year old inlaws have wireless because the dsl came with wireless. Asking non-techies to run raceways or crawl through the attic to retrofit ethernet cables through the house or to configure a wireless bridge is simply not realistic.

It's a great product overall, but the designers of the 722 really dropped the ball on this feature.

#14 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

No you must be kidding, right? Do you really expect seniors, renters, nontechies, and "people who want it work out of the box" to start rewiring their wall outlets? The point is that the industry has moved to wireless as the ubiquitous option. The only analogy I can think of is this would be like a telephone manufacturer that doesn't make cordless phones or a car radio company that only makes am radios.

Lee

Your kidding right?

Do you have a telephone line there? If it's run on Cat5 you can use 2 pair for the ethernet.

#15 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

:confused: :grin: Fry's has wireless cards and wireless usb for like $0 after rebate and often under ten bucks with no rebate. Building wireless connectivity into a 722 would have cost no more than the wired outlet they did put in?

Am I missing something here? Like I said earlier, you almost can't even buy a consumer pc or laptop without wireless already built in -- It's just standard on all models these days.

Alot of people have their house wired for ethernet.
Wireless bridges are not that expensive, however, a hardwired connection is definitely a better option if it is available to use.
A wireless card is an option that wouldn't be heavily used, basicially making it an expensive option that really only serves a small percentage of the unit owners.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

I'm not sure "the industry" has "moved to wireless" as an exclusive thing. Wireless is still not as fast as wired, so people who want throughput do not use wireless. Wireless is generally used for convenience and on-the-go devices where throughput is less important than connectivity.

That said...

Talking computers is different than talking TVs. Folks that are heavy into computers may have wireless... I don't, but I never really liked wireless frankly. Always wanted the faster connection myself.

But folks with TVs... Dish Network's average consumer... is not enough into computers to probably have wireless networking for anything else.. so that customer would have to buy and configure a bunch of wireless stuff simply for the receiver.

For all the talk we do on these forums about the ethernet connection on these receivers, I suspect we are much in the minority in terms of what an average Dish customer knows about and uses.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#17 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

:confused: :grin: Fry's has wireless cards and wireless usb for like $0 after rebate and often under ten bucks with no rebate. Building wireless connectivity into a 722 would have cost no more than the wired outlet they did put in?

Am I missing something here? Like I said earlier, you almost can't even buy a consumer pc or laptop without wireless already built in -- It's just standard on all models these days.

The DVR basically uses a desktop motherboard. These rarely come with wireless built in, so it's not free.

Until just recently the network connectivity did absolutely nothing... now it does very little. For Dish to have added a feature that had no purpose would just be a waste of money.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure "the industry" has "moved to wireless" as an exclusive thing. Wireless is still not as fast as wired, so people who want throughput do not use wireless. Wireless is generally used for convenience and on-the-go devices where throughput is less important than connectivity.

That said...

Talking computers is different than talking TVs. Folks that are heavy into computers may have wireless... I don't, but I never really liked wireless frankly. Always wanted the faster connection myself.

But folks with TVs... Dish Network's average consumer... is not enough into computers to probably have wireless networking for anything else.. so that customer would have to buy and configure a bunch of wireless stuff simply for the receiver.

For all the talk we do on these forums about the ethernet connection on these receivers, I suspect we are much in the minority in terms of what an average Dish customer knows about and uses.

Agree. I finally had to add a wireless router to my system because when family and others visit, they always have their laptops in every room but the office, including the bathroom!:lol:

Fortunately it also gave me 3 more sockets for wired connections to more equipment, as my 722 took up the last wired connection on my main router.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#19 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

I never said wireless was free, although free after rebate is pretty darned close. :D . I noted the Fry's deals to simply point out that a wireless card that used to cost $100 just a couple years ago now costs less than $10 retail. Which means that the equipment manufacturer could buy them wholesale in volume, or more likely just get a motherboard with the chips and antenna jack built in, for just a couple bucks a piece, so the cost of wireless hardware is a non-issue.

I note that Dish thought enough to add an ethernet outlet, so clearly that cost was justified somehow by the planned additional options. So the point is if you are going to put in a wired jack, why not wireless? That definately is the way everything is going and makes the point even sharper. In another year or so, wireless is going to be even more prevalent. Wireless is so darned much easier than running cables, in consumer electronics ethernet jacks are going to be like 8 track tapes.

A built in solution would have been sweet. A screen that scans and says I found your wireless network and your other dish receiver(s) and do you want to connect them.....That would have been sweet.

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:58 AM

Well Lee I don't think anyone can answer why not... Not sure any DVR providers are wireless yet and my guess is that why they might not be going that route is because of issues relating to securing that line of communication and complexities that you would have to support in configuration.

Wireless is by no means a screen that says I found your wireless network want to connect? If it is, I suggest taking some time to secure that network because you might have a few friends that took you up on the offer...

Don't get me wrong.. Wireless is definitely a nice feature I would like to see added, but it does not come without its complications in terms of support and adds additional security concerns that if you offer it you need addressing specially given the content that might be floating over the air.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...