Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why no built in wireless?????

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:02 AM

Wireless is by no means a screen that says I found your wireless network want to connect? If it is, I suggest taking some time to secure that network because you might have a few friends that took you up on the offer...

Funny thing about that...

A guy where I worked bought a wireless hub and hooked it up. He was having some speed problems (not getting what he expected to get from the wireless connection) and sometimes didn't connect at all.

Long story short... he found out he was not connecting to his wireless hub at all! But was connecting to a neighbor's hub... just barely... and that was why he was getting slow speed and frequent disconnects.

He did have a problem with his hub, hence why he was connecting to his neighbor's instead of his own... but there was no way of him preventing connecting to his neighbor until he had his own hub working properly so it was a stronger signal for his laptop to lock onto.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

Well I recently tried to phone talk my brother into calibrating a new Wireless router. I then found out what was going on in his neighborhood in terms of wireless and I have since offered to come over and secure his network. Seems lots of people are tapping into others wireless. Scary situation in terms of security for sure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#23 OFFLINE   gweempose

gweempose

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

There are plenty of other options available if you don't want to use a wireless bridge. For example, you could always go with a powerline solution such as this one from Netgear. Another option would be something that uses you your existing coaxial infrastructure such as the Motorola NIM100's. I don't think the NIM100's can be purchased retail, but you should have no problem finding them on eBay.

#24 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

Ethernet bridging is complicated and expensive...

Actually, it's pretty inexpensive and easy. As I noted on this thread, you can update the firmware on a fifty-dollar Linksys wireless router and turn it into a wireless bridge. It took me about an hour to accomplish, and I now have a wireless bridge with integrated four-point switch, which allows me to connect both my 622 and Xbox 360 to my wireless router. Note that I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, but I am by no means an accomplished geek.

As noted by another poster in the same thread, the ZyXel P-330W also works as a bridge -- and it doesn't need new firmware like the Linksys WRT54G. The documentation is a little sparse, though, so you might need to look elsewhere for setup tutorials.

#25 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

If there weren't other options out there I could see this being a bigger deal. But the receiver is Home Plug compatible, and there is always the wireless bridge option....

I never said wireless was free, although free after rebate is pretty darned close. . I noted the Fry's deals to simply point out that a wireless card that used to cost $100 just a couple years ago now costs less than $10 retail.

I don't know how many of the receivers are out there, but the additional cost for a wireless card in it, even if its only $10.00 adds up after a few thousand of the units. And I imagine the cost of the ethernet port was negligible since it was probably on board the motherboard used for the receiver.

Also, the security issues brought up are valid.

#26 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

What do you all do with your Network connection? Mine just sits there connected....

Nothing, but when I switched my phone to voip, it no longer would sync with dish, and despite the "permanent flag" on my account not to be charged the $5.00 no phone fee, they started charging me again. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle with dealing with them every month so I went wireless.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

spam firewall