Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network to Expand HD Line-Up in 2008

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
389 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com...107/133867.html

Monday January 7, 8:00 am ET
100 National HD Channels, 100 HD Local Markets

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 7, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- DISH Network® (NasdaqGS:DISH - News) today announced plans to increase its national HD channel count from 76 to 100 in 2008. The company also plans to add local HD channels in 65 new markets, bringing its HD local market total to 100.

The addition of new HD national and local channels is a testament to DISH Network's unwavering focus on providing the best HD offerings,'' said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. ``We at DISH Network will continue to not only be a leader in the number of HD channels, but also in quality in value.''

DISH Network plans to launch three satellites in 2008, providing the company additional bandwidth to maintain its reign as a top HD provider.

The company begins its HD launches with 11 local markets including: Austin, TX; Baltimore; Cleveland; Columbia, S.C.; Flint, Mich.; Greenville, S.C.; Huntsville, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Orlando, Fla.; and Richmond, Va. The addition of these markets brings DISH Network's local HD penetration to 80 percent of U.S. TV households.

In conjunction with the launch of new HD programming, DISH Network is offering more choices for HD customers, including HD packages as low as $10 per month for more than 20 of the most popular HD channels. New HD packages will be available beginning Feb. 1, 2008.

``DISH Network's HD programming packages, paired with the industry's best HD DVRs, give TV consumers the complete TV viewing experience and another powerful reason to switch to DISH Network -- if they haven't already,'' Sahl said.

For more information about DISH Network's HD offerings or DVR technology, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit http://www.dishnetwork.com, or visit your local DISH Network retailer.

About EchoStar Communications

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NasdaqGS:DISH - News) has been a leader for more than 27 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. The Company's DISH Network® provides more than 13.695 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable companies for seven years running. DISH Network customers also enjoy access to a premier line of award-winning Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry, and six months free of DishHD. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit http://www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

EchoStar
Media Contact:
Francie Bauer
720-514-5351
press@echostar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: EchoStar Communications Corporation

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

Would have been nice if he put a date on some of the additions. Do they have to wait until the satellites get launched to do any of this or can they start doing the additions now?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Would have been nice if he put a date on some of the additions. Do they have to wait until the satellites get launched to do any of this or can they start doing the additions now?

It looks like the local HDs can be up as soon as uplink licenses are obtained for the spotbeams on EchoStar 12.

#4 OFFLINE   bthessel

bthessel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Still no locals in HD for Cincinnati, this may push me over to D* this year. Really getting tired of messing with little antennas on top of the entertainment center. Plus the wife hates them.

#5 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

This is a perfect reason, to allow users to pick and choose an alternate Market area. I started with Dish when I lived up North in a white out area, and was able to have 2 markets, I sure miss those days.:(

#6 OFFLINE   jgurley

jgurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

I've looked all over the Dish web site and couldn't find anything on the new HD programming packages. Can someone post a link if there is one? Thanks.
Hopper & 2 Joeys
42" Plasma
36" LCD
26" LCD
Salem, VA

#7 OFFLINE   atlind01

atlind01

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:11 AM

This kind of re-iterates what I have been hearing throughout the weekend. during the NFL playoff games they had commercials and in that they mentioned that more HD is on the way.

But again the question is when exactly? and how many?

#8 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

I feel for the Dish subscribers who will likely go through the same "soon" / "by the end of calendar year 2008" / etc... non-specific timelines that we DirecTV subs just endured.

The good news though is that I think the general timeline is "as soon as we reasonably can". Market competition is a powerful motivator.

Enjoy the new channels when they start to come online.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

I think Dish's market percentage calculations are screwy. They claim they will have 80% of the total US TV households with less markets than DirecTV? And they do this by bypassing larger cities than DirecTV does? Perhaps they mean when (or [I]if[/I) they get all 65 of the markets they claim to be adding this year online they'll have 80%.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

This kind of re-iterates what I have been hearing throughout the weekend. during the NFL playoff games they had commercials and in that they mentioned that more HD is on the way.

But again the question is when exactly? and how many?

This seems to imply in February, but no numbers or which channels:

In conjunction with the launch of new HD programming, DISH Network is offering more choices for HD customers, including HD packages as low as $10 per month for more than 20 of the most popular HD channels. New HD packages will be available beginning Feb. 1, 2008.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

I don't read a GUARANTEE of 100 by the end of the month ... the 100 is by the end of the year (and I hope is an honest 100 ... no fluff). The package introduction (HD Essentials and HD Ultimate) will be on February 1st.

Hopefully the gang at CES will have more information later in the day. The E* press conference is at 11am MT (1pm ET/10am PT). Being able to get a line up card from the booth would be nice as well (if available).

#12 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

I think Dish's market percentage calculations are screwy. They claim they will have 80% of the total US TV households with less markets than DirecTV? And they do this by bypassing larger cities than DirecTV does? Perhaps they mean when (or [I]if[/I) they get all 65 of the markets they claim to be adding this year online they'll have 80%.

Marketing announcements are always fun to decipher. :) :)

I read the announcement as meaning Dish Network local HD coverage will be available to 80% of US households. Not that 80% of households would subscribe. (I.E. 80% could subscribe to local HD coverage from Dish Network if they wanted to, not that they will.)

#13 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Many will have to wait for new satellites. JPL(space calendar) and Lyngsat seem to indicate that the next scheduled launch will be June 2008. Neither seem to indicate a firm date which is probably due to uncertainties with Sea Launch launch schedule.

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Well, I guess I complained about their silence on the subject too much. So they felt the need to say something. The problem is I don't know any more than before. Sigh.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   krisztoforo

krisztoforo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Many will have to wait for new satellites. JPL(space calendar) and Lyngsat seem to indicate that the next scheduled launch will be June 2008. Neither seem to indicate a firm date which is probably due to uncertainties with Sea Launch launch schedule.

Do you know who's performing the actual launches? If it's Sea Launch then E* is a bit optimistic expecting to launch 3 satellites with them this year. Or is there another company they contracted already? (Ariane maybe?)

#16 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

Do you know who's performing the actual launches? If it's Sea Launch then E* is a bit optimistic expecting to launch 3 satellites with them this year. Or is there another company they contracted already? (Ariane maybe?)

The three satellites are the leased AMC-14 that will be launched on a Proton to 61.5 W scheduled for March 2008, Echostar-11 (E-11) that is scheduled to be launched on a Zenit-3 by Sea Launch to 110 W and the leased Ciel-2 that is scheduled to be launched on a Proton to 129 W. The Proton is a Russian launch vehicle that should be able to gain more business because of the availability of a second launch pad about mid 2008.

It should be noted that when AMC-14 is launched and operational at 61.5 W , this may free up E-3 for use at another location. Yes E-3 has had some failures but it still has some usefullness. When E-11 is launched and operational at 110 W, this will probably free up the E-6 and E-8 satellites for use elsewhere. The E-5 satellite at 129 W is just about used up its useful life so when Ciel-2 replaces it, the big jump in capability with be both in spotbeams and much greater and consistent signal.

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Well, I certainly don't plan on waiting until June to get more HD channels. Dish could give us some right now pretty easily. Just knock down the number of PPV HD channels by half and that would enable a few channels.

Yeah, I know, it would really tick off the 3 people that actually buy PPV, but what the heck... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

The three satellites are the leased AMC-14 that will be launched on a Proton to 61.5 W scheduled for March 2008, Echostar-11 (E-11) that is scheduled to be launched on a Zenit-3 by Sea Launch to 110 W and the leased Ciel-2 that is scheduled to be launched on a Proton to 129 W. The Proton is a Russian launch vehicle that should be able to gain more business because of the availability of a second launch pad about mid 2008.

It should be noted that when AMC-14 is launched and operational at 61.5 W , this may free up E-3 for use at another location. Yes E-3 has had some failures but it still has some usefullness. When E-11 is launched and operational at 110 W, this will probably free up the E-6 and E-8 satellites for use elsewhere. The E-5 satellite at 129 W is just about used up its useful life so when Ciel-2 replaces it, the big jump in capability with be both in spotbeams and much greater and consistent signal.

And we knew all this before the news release and we knew they would add HD when the satellites are in place. Oh, that wasn't a news release - it was an advertisement for vaporware, again. Where's my SciFi and USA HD that they uplinked ages ago? Lay off some PR people and hire some techies.:mad:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#19 OFFLINE   JohnnyHighGround

JohnnyHighGround

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

If they try to stick Cleveland's locals on 129 I'm going to have to find someone to punch in the junk.

Also, some dude on Satteliteguys seems pretty confident SciFi and USA are launching by Feb.

Take that for what it's worth, a'course...

#20 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

No channels named, just a lot of blah blah as smoke is blown up my rear end.

80% of the country's HD locals eh? All depends on what "local" means I guess.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

spam firewall