Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does receiving and recording OTA HD require paying for local channels?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   theoak

theoak

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

I have seen this implied in threads, but not said so in so many words.

What's the scoop?

If I get a HD DVR (612/622/722), what would I have to pay for in order to receive and record OTA HD?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

No. you don't have to pay for locals to record HD, however, if you want local guide information in your EPG then you would have to pay for locals. To me, it is worth the 5 bucks a month to avoid having manage my OTA manually (create manual timers).
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

It does not cost anything to watch and record OTA. The only cost is if you want the program guide data then it is $5.00 I think. Other than that no charge. I set up recording with out the EPG data, just like a VCR timer.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#4 OFFLINE   theoak

theoak

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

So they only ding me then if:

1. I do not want a HD package - I will be charged a "HD enabling fee" then.

or

2. If I want a HD package - I will be charged whatever the HD package costs.

Am I missing anything?

#5 OFFLINE   xteacher

xteacher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

No. you don't have to pay for locals to record HD, however, if you want local guide information in your EPG then you would have to pay for locals. To me, it is worth the 5 bucks a month to avoid having manage my OTA manually (create manual timers).

You will only get the guide information if the channels they send you are EXACTLY the ones you get over air. My CBS is broadcast over 2 frequencies (different call letters) The one they provide is 100 miles away and out of range, the one I get is 10 miles away. Same channel, same programming--just similcast on a different channel. I get no guide info and there seems to be no way around it. My PBS is the same way. These are my only two HD channels and subscribing to locals is worthless to me. I hate to say it, but I still pay the $5 bucks a month for basically nothing. I look at the guide for CH 10 and do a manual record on CH 11. I could look in the newspaper for the same thing and save the subscription.

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

You will only get the guide information if the channels they send you are EXACTLY the ones you get over air. My CBS is broadcast over 2 frequencies (different call letters) The one they provide is 100 miles away and out of range, the one I get is 10 miles away. Same channel, same programming--just similcast on a different channel. I get no guide info and there seems to be no way around it. My PBS is the same way. These are my only two HD channels and subscribing to locals is worthless to me. I hate to say it, but I still pay the $5 bucks a month for basically nothing. I look at the guide for CH 10 and do a manual record on CH 11. I could look in the newspaper for the same thing and save the subscription.

Not true for everyone. I get 2 CBS OTA signals, one is OOM. I get guide data for both (that is since I switch to DVR advantage to avoid the price increase). DVR advantage includes your locals (something I never wanted since OTA blows away the SD satellite feeds). Now I get the SD satellite locals for my DMA, the same channels in HD OTA and a distant station (OTA only, but with guide data).

Your situation may be unique. If I read your post correctly the "virtual channel" number is the same for both of your CBS feeds? If so that would cause a guide data conflict. It happened to me one day when a distant virtual ch 8 knocked my local ch 8 out of my guide, even though the digital OTA channels were different.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

[quote name='
Your situation may be unique. If I read your post correctly the "virtual channel" number is the same for both of your CBS feeds? If so that would cause a guide data conflict. It happened to me one day when a distant virtual ch 8 knocked my local ch 8 out of my guide, even though the digital OTA channels were different.[/QUOTE']

I'm going to take a shot at what I think is happening here, I may be wrong!:D

XTeacher is in the same position I am in (but a different DMA). Our local CBS/PBS are full power translators of the main station. They are on different channel numbers. I get CBS 11 KELO out of Sioux Falls, SD as a standard def local (my DMA is Sioux Falls). Locally I get their full power translator station channel 6 Reliance, SD KPLO, same content. I of course get guide data for channel 11 as well as channel 11 SD from Dish. However, dish does not transmit any guide info for KPLO or channel 6 so no guide data for local CBS 6 KPLO. What we need is the ability to attach Channel 11 guide data to Channel 6

In your case the channel from an adjoining DMA has Dish guide data for that Channel#/name in the adjoining DMA, you are in the footprint to receive the guide data and close enough to the actual station to receive it so you do get the guide data. Station call letters/channel # matches.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...