Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Logitech: "We hear you"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Had a great conversation with the developer of the Logitech Harmony One. I told him that I was disappointed that it didn't have a List Button or Color buttons. While he seemed surprised that these were important, he did admit that he'd heard the complaint about List not being on the remote before.

Bottom line... when I complained to Logitech in 2006 that they didn't have a left-hand capable high end remote, they had one within 9 months. They told me they heard me this time, let's see.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Had a great conversation with the developer of the Logitech Harmony One. I told him that I was disappointed that it didn't have a List Button or Color buttons. While he seemed surprised that these were important, he did admit that he'd heard the complaint about List not being on the remote before.

Bottom line... when I complained to Logitech in 2006 that they didn't have a left-hand capable high end remote, they had one within 9 months. They told me they heard me this time, let's see.

Thank you Stuart! If you have a chance to follow-up about color buttons, maybe you could ask why they won't at least sell the European Harmony versions here in the U.S. ... they have dedicated color buttons, and having the choice here (one with color buttons and one without), would be a great choice to make, even if the one with color buttons costs more...

P.S. For anyone interested, there's a thread discussing the new Harmony One in the Computer Gadget and Gizmo forum...

Link: Harmony Introduces new remote at CES 2008: Harmony One

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

Drew, I flat out told the guy that he should stop developing separate Euro and US versions, and where possible discontinue the US versions and sell the Euro versions only. He seemed to think that was a marketing issue but he did listen.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Drew, I flat out told the guy that he should stop developing separate Euro and US versions, and where possible discontinue the US versions and sell the Euro versions only. He seemed to think that was a marketing issue but he did listen.

About the only change I'd make from the European versions I have seen is to move the cololr keys up from the bottom, where they are located on many models, and move them to below the D-Pad, right above the transport keys.

I'm glad you asked, though, it was like I was there! :)

#5 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

So the color keys - you are referring to variable use color keys like what the RC64 (DirecTV Remote) has correct?

Chris

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

So the color keys - you are referring to variable use color keys like what the RC64 (DirecTV Remote) has correct?

Chris

Exactly. Check out this thread at RemoteCentral.com to see the various existing Harmony remotes, and compare the "foreign" cousins to the U.S. versions. The overseash versions have dedicated hard-buttons with the R, G, B, and Y colors, while the U.S. versios do not. In some cases, Logitech added new buttons to the remotes, in other cases some buttons were repurposed. In most cases, implemented the color buttons badly (see the miniscule color buttons on the 885, for example), and in the best case they had the color buttons near the navigaiton D-pad.

I just noticed that there's some space directly below the LCD panel on the Harmony One ... and there's not much space anywhere else on the remote. I wonder if this is where they'll put the color buttons on the international models? That would work for me.

Ideally, though, I'd prefer they move the top section of hard buttons up closer to the LCD panel and put the color buttons directly above the D-pad.

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

I use the XBOX 360 version, it has 4 color buttons.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

I use the XBOX 360 version, it has 4 color buttons.

I had that one and gave it to my sister and brother-in-law, because I didn't like the backlighting affect on the translucent color buttons in a dark room. (I'm very picky.) ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Drew, please keep up the PR campaign. I'd love to see a US Harmony product with dedicated color buttons in a "good" place on the remote.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#10 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

I had that one and gave it to my sister and brother-in-law, because I didn't like the backlighting affect on the translucent color buttons in a dark room. (I'm very picky.) ;)

Also, it's not as full featured as the 880. I really appreciate the internal re-chargeable batteries.

Stuart, maybe you could just give Logitech a link and/or subscription to this thread... ;)
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#11 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Drew, please keep up the PR campaign. I'd love to see a US Harmony product with dedicated color buttons in a "good" place on the remote.

Xbox model. Although I would not be opposed to more options too.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#12 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

Will Harmony get beyond 5 step macros?

- Craig

#13 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

Colored and list buttons would be great. Thanks for mentioning it. How is this model supposed to work? Do you touch the lcd for those command, if you set them up? There are no buttons at the lcd at all, correct?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#14 OFFLINE   XPLORx4

XPLORx4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Colored and list buttons would be great. Thanks for mentioning it. How is this model supposed to work? Do you touch the lcd for those command, if you set them up? There are no buttons at the lcd at all, correct?

Did you read the press release?

A key outcome of Logitech’s research is a 2.2-inch color touch screen that uses capacitive technology, which responds to tiny electrical charges from the fingertips. Capacitive touch-screen technology is more durable, compared to touch screens that respond to pressure. The color touch screen provides control of any home entertainment device with an infrared receiver, including digital video recorders, high-definition televisions and many household appliances. The Harmony One remote’s touch screen can also display icons of specified TV stations for quick access to favorite stations.

#15 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Inspired, I created some cleaner mock-ups ... so here they are ...

That space directly below the LCD may be where Harmony puts the color buttons for the international customers:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11797&stc=1&d=1199831332

My preference, though, would be to have the color keys directly above the D-Pad, as shown in the 2nd mock-up:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11798&stc=1&d=1199831332

I hope Harmony's listening! :)

#16 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Not sure how many die hard Logitech people are in here, but this guy could be nice competitor.

http://www.ricavision.com/vave100.html

#17 OFFLINE   XPLORx4

XPLORx4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Something I find lacking on the new remote are the "Pic" and "Sound" buttons, which I have on my 680, and I've grown accustomed to. I use the "Pic" mode to access TV-specific function within an activity and the "Sound" mode to access my Receiver-specific functions. The new Harmony One remote is also missing a "Media" button.

#18 OFFLINE   duck33

duck33

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

I want my Harmony remote to work with my PS3.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Drew, they didn't want to tell me if there would be a Euro version of the Harmony One, probably didn't want me to go postal about it. But it did not seem when handling the remote (yes I held one!) that you could fit a full row of buttons between the touchscreen and the hard buttons.

What they did have on the prototype, the color buttons were mapped to three of the 6 soft positions on the screen. They were called A B and C and were shaped like the color buttons on some cable boxes, square round and triangular.

#20 OFFLINE   eatswodo

eatswodo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

I want my Harmony remote to work with my PS3.

Try one of these:

http://www.shoppersc...ce_froogle.html

Or this setup (if you can find the bits):

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=761809

Protected By... spam firewall...And...