Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best NHL announcers..

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

..other than your favorite teams' crew. I thought of this while watching the Dallas/Min game tonight. I think the Dallas guys are pretty good. I also think the LA Kings' guys, Mike Emerick with the Devils, and Dave Strader and Darren Pang with Phoenix are pretty good, too.

I miss Gary Thorne, though.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

..other than your favorite teams' crew. I thought of this while watching the Dallas/Min game tonight. I think the Dallas guys are pretty good. I also think the LA Kings' guys, Mike Emerick with the Devils, and Dave Strader and Darren Pang with Phoenix are pretty good, too.

I've always liked Jim Hughson of the Vancouver Canucks and CBC's Hockey Night in Canada!:)

#3 OFFLINE   dacoop2

dacoop2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

Kings play-by-play man Bob Miller is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

#4 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

I'm a Ranger fan, But have always liked Mike Emrick of the Devils, Gary Thorne of the old ESPNII days was very good as well.

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#5 OFFLINE   Billsfan69

Billsfan69

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

I can't argue with any of your choices.

#6 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Randy Hahn,Gary Thorne & Chris Cuthbert

#7 OFFLINE   Davesmith8

Davesmith8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

Good choices, FLWingNut. Nashville has the worst. I turn the sound off when I get their feed for a Wings game.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H20
HR10-250
WB68 multiswitches (2)

#8 OFFLINE   MikeJW

MikeJW

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

John Ahlers and Brian Hayward of course. GO DUCKS!!!

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

Seeing I can't vote for the Buffalo crew, I'll give it to the Bruins crew with a close 2nd for the Ducks TV guys. All 3 are great.

The worst are the Philly guys. HOMERS....

#10 OFFLINE   ElVee

ElVee

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:19 AM

Mike Emerick is probably one of the best.

Being an Islanders (and Mets) fan, I'll have to say Howie Rose (also does the Mets games). I know Howie was/is a Rangers fan, but he really keeps it fair.
When to use Than and when to use Then

Panasonic TH50-PX600U - DirecTv HR20-700
Panasonic TH42-PHD7UY - DirecTv HR20-700
Sharp LC37D42U - DirecTv HR21-100 and AM21
Panasonic 25" - DirecTv D11 - Sony TiVo SV3000 & Sony TiVo SV2000

#11 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

Seeing I can't vote for the Buffalo crew, I'll give it to the Bruins crew with a close 2nd for the Ducks TV guys. All 3 are great.

The worst are the Philly guys. HOMERS....

I have to agree with you on the Philly guys... the worst:nono2:

I've always liked Mike Emerick and since I seem to always end up watching the Bruins games I'd have to go with them also.

#12 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:25 AM

Gary Thorne.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#13 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

i don't know the guy's name who does the play-by-play in buffalo, but when the sabre's score a goal, he's like a mexican soccer announcer. gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that guy rules. and i think brian hayward for the ducks is the best color guy.

doc emmerich is really good, too.

#14 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

Jim Hughson of Hockey Night in Canada is amazing. Bob Cole, also of HNIC, is very good as well.

I like Mike Emrick, although he fawns over Martin Brodeur way too much. Chris Cuthbert of TSN, Bob Miller of the Kings, Jack Edwards of the Bruins, Rich Jeanneret (sp?) of the Sabres, the guy who does the Stars PxP (Strangis?), John Kelly of the Avs, and Howie Rose back in the "Matteau Matteau" days are also my favorites.

I used to like Mike Lange of the Penguins, Pat Foley of the Blackhawks, and Ken Wilson of the Blues, but I don't hear them anymore. I think Lange and Foley are doing radio now, I have no idea what happened to Wilson, but I loved his enthusiasm! I liked Gary Thorne too.

The only guys I really don't like are the Caps announcers, Beninati and Laughlin. Something about their voices together is irritating. When Beninati is on Versus away from Laughlin he doesn't bother me as much for some reason.

On the analyst side the HNIC guys are, of course, excellent. I also like Brian Hayward of the Ducks, Drew Remenda of the Sharks, Bernie Federko of the Blues, and Darryl Reaugh of the Stars.

I don't enjoy Terry Crisp of the Predators, he is just too colloquial for me. I also don't like Mickey Redmond of the Wings, he doesn't add much to the telecast. And, of course, Potvin s****!

I go back and forth on Joe Micheletti of the Rangers. He picks up a lot of things on the ice, and is very good at analyzing the game and picking up trends and momentum shifts. But he drives me nuts in going on and on about how good the team is that's beating the Rangers at the time.

Case in point, Saturday night in Edmonton. Because Edmonton had a one goal lead a lot of the game Micheletti somehow feels compelled to tell us how amazing the Oilers are, how quick they are, how physical they are, how well they go to the net, yada yada yada. Hey Joe, if the Oilers are that good, HOW COME THEY CAN'T BEAT ANYONE BUT THE RANGERS!?!?!?!?

They're really not that good, part of the problem was that the Rangers were playing like crap! Say it already. Jeesh.

Rant over.

#15 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

I must be the only one here who's not a big Mike Emrick fan! I don't think he's horrible and I wouldn't turn off the sound when he's on, but, for whatever reason, I just don't like him!

Beninati is THE WORST. When he's on Versus, I will turn off the sound!

I agree with all the Gary THorne votes - he's right up there among the best and I do miss him. I always liked Bill Clement as well.

I know we're not voting for our own broadcasters, but I do LOVE Drew Remenda and Randy Hahn! I love that they're homers (which, personally, I think a teams announcers should have sort of a vested interest in the team, after all, they are team employees, and their fortunes go as the teams fortunes go, to a large extent!). However, despite their "homerness", they don't have a problem (either of them), pointing out a Sharks mistake, or when the Sharks are playing poorly. And if someone on the other team makes a brilliant play, they can sit there and say "The Sharks did everything right, and that guy just beat them - that was pretty!".

I've always liked that about our guys, in contrast to guys like Joe Micheletti, where if you get scored on it's because that player just made the best play in the history of hockey! Sometimes the guys on the ice make mistakes that lead to goals. Admit it, don't try to sell me on George Parros being the greatest skater ever to lace them up because he scored a goal.

#16 OFFLINE   joebbaseball

joebbaseball

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

As a fan of the Canucks, and West Coast Hockey in general, I must admit though, I watched the Sabres a few x's when we got MSG in HD, and those two guys seem to hands down the best I've heard in a while.
Joe

#17 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

The Rick Jenrett guy in Buffalo, the must annoying play by play man in sports.

#18 OFFLINE   DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Another Gary Thorne supporter here. I remember the call during a playoff game in Pittsburgh when it was thought that Mario was at home for the last time, "Here he comes! Here he comes! Hold on! SCORE!! Ya gotta love it!"

Mike Lange is still doing Pens games on the radio. XM FTW. :)

Downstairs:
Receiver: HR21-200
TV: Olevia 232V 32"
DVD: Samsung DVD-1080P7
Sound: Sony STR-DG510
Upstairs:
D*Receiver: H20 connected to SA Series 2 TiVo
TV: 31" RCA SD

#19 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

i don't know the guy's name who does the play-by-play in buffalo, but when the sabre's score a goal, he's like a mexican soccer announcer. gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that guy rules. and i think brian hayward for the ducks is the best color guy.

doc emmerich is really good, too.

As a fan of the Canucks, and West Coast Hockey in general, I must admit though, I watched the Sabres a few x's when we got MSG in HD, and those two guys seem to hands down the best I've heard in a while.
Joe

His name is Rick Jeanneret and he definitely is one of the best. I think he's so good because he's also simulcast on the radio so that's why he literally does the play by play in such detail. I didn't mention him since we weren't supposed to list our home team announcer.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#20 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

Hands down the best right now is Jim Hughson of the Canucks/CBC.
I love Rick Jeanneret's enthusiasm on the Sabres too!

Pat Foley should be doing the Blackhawks telecasts but he's doing the Chicago Wolves in the AHL right now. When he get's back here,(he will) he is the best! Ok a little biased on that one!

Mike Emrick is ok,sometimes makes it seem more exciting than it actually is,i.e.,BIG SAVE BRODEUR!,when it's a shot from the red line.:rolleyes:

Bob Cole is good too for CBC,Bob Miller for LA,Dave Strader in PHX. Color Guys,maybe Pang in PHX,Harry Neale in BUFF/CBC,Chico Resch in NJ,Drew in SJ.

The two worst tandem is the Chicago crew Danny Kelly:grin: and Eddie "Stop it right there!" Olczyk and the guys from Columbus, Jeff Rimer and Danny Gare.

spam firewall