Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best NHL announcers..

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rlnoonan

rlnoonan

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

I used to like Mike Lange of the Penguins, Pat Foley of the Blackhawks, and Ken Wilson of the Blues, but I don't hear them anymore. I think Lange and Foley are doing radio now, I have no idea what happened to Wilson, but I loved his enthusiasm! I liked Gary Thorne too.

I've always liked Foley and was ticked off when Wirtz, in effect, pushed him out. Now he's announcing for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL. Now that Bill Wirtz is gone and they are making lot's of changes to fix things I've heard rumors that bringing back Foley might be in the works. That would be great...

I've even got an old arcade game (2-on-2 Hockey) that has Foley as the announcer :D .
- Bob

Slimline 5lnb dish (4 RG-6 cables, no multi-switch)

HR20-700.............................. HR20-100S
HDMI to Mitsubishi WD57732............ HDMI to Toshiba 32HL67US Regza
Optical to Onkyo TX-SR604............. Digital Coax to Sony HT-5100D
Protected by APC J10.................. Protected by Panamax 4300-MX
Controlled by Harmony 676............. Controlled by Harmony 676

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rlnoonan

rlnoonan

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

The two worst tandem is the Chicago crew John Kelly:grin: and Eddie "Stop it right there!" Olczyk and the guys from Columbus, Jeff Rimer and Danny Gare.

I think its "Dan" Kelly, but I agree that he sucks. I do like Eddie "Stop it right there!" Olczyk though. Just need to replace Kelly with Foley!
- Bob

Slimline 5lnb dish (4 RG-6 cables, no multi-switch)

HR20-700.............................. HR20-100S
HDMI to Mitsubishi WD57732............ HDMI to Toshiba 32HL67US Regza
Optical to Onkyo TX-SR604............. Digital Coax to Sony HT-5100D
Protected by APC J10.................. Protected by Panamax 4300-MX
Controlled by Harmony 676............. Controlled by Harmony 676

#23 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I think its "Dan" Kelly, but I agree that he sucks. I do like Eddie "Stop it right there!" Olczyk though. Just need to replace Kelly with Foley!

Had the wrong guy there,it's "Danny" Kelly,thanks!

I agree,I guess Olczyk isn't too bad,but together they make a bad team.I prefer Eddie on the national broadcasts,VS,NBC etc.,he's actually ok on those.

I think Pat and Eddie could be a great team,maybe,just maybe!

#24 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Though I'm not a big Emerick fan, I thought he and Eddie Olczyk made a pretty good team for the NHL Winter Classic in Buffalo, along with Pang on the sidelines.

Brian Engblom has his moments, as well. Sometimes I find myself really enjoying a broadcast that he's on and other times I want to throw something at the TV to make him be quiet!

Last season the Sharks had Marty McSorley alongside Randy Hahn as Drew spent the year in Canada with his family doing HNIC.

Marty was quite a surprise for me. It took him about 1/4 of the season to kind of get his legs under him, but he was actually a pretty good color guy. I'm not sure what all transpired to see him leave with about a dozen games left in the season last year, to be replaced by none other than Drew Remenda. I don't think Marty and Randy ever really "meshed", so that could be part of it. Coupled with the fact that Drew didn't really dig the HNIC gig, and his immense popularity here in SJ, it was probably just a no brainer to bring Drew back.

I'd like to see Marty land on his feet somewhere though. Give him another year or two of airtime, and I think he could be one of the better color guys across the league. Obviously he has some tremendous experiences as a player, but he's not the typical "jock" announcer - he'd bring his playing experience in when it was appropriate, and otherwise he would analyze the game.

#25 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

I grew up with Strader and Redmond on Wings broadcasts, so they'll always be favorites of mine. I also miss Thorne and Clement on the Deuce.

P.S. rlnoonan, are you related to Brian Noonan who used to play for the Blackhawks? I used to have his IHL Saginaw Hawks jersey.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#26 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Color Guys,maybe Pang in PHX,Harry Neale in BUFF/CBC,Chico Resch in NJ,Drew in SJ.

Good calls, I totally forgot about Pang in Phoenix and Neale in Buffalo. Both made strong telecast teams even stronger.

Resch has some good observations, but like Emrick he worships Brodeur way too much. Every save the guy makes can't be the most amazing save in the history of hockey. That gets old.

#27 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

I can't vote for the Devils guys (and wouldn't anyway). My favorite announcers are the Sabres announcers by far. Other ones I like are the Sharks and Bruins. All three are not afraid to name names when mistakes are made and criticize their home teams when appropriate. Drew Remenda really surprised me a couple of nights ago with some of his sharp criticisms, it was refreshing to see when as others here have mentioned, goals frequently seem to happen by magic and nobody ever makes a mistake or is to blame. The Kings guys are ok too.
The Devils guys drive me crazy with their covering up of Brodeur's bad games (and yes he really does have some) and refusal to criticize players such as Johnny Oduya who make frequent mistakes. My most hated announcers are Peter McNab of the Avalanche, his former partner John Kelly of the Blues, Brian Hayward of the Ducks, Denis Potvin of Florida and the Nashville people.

#28 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

The Rick Jenrett guy in Buffalo, the must annoying play by play man in sports.

He's the best, I think.

Keep in mind that he's calling the game on radio at the same time as TV, so you're hearing more of him.

#29 OFFLINE   FireMedic8039

FireMedic8039

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Gary Thorne, the best. Locally for the Florida Panthers. Denis Potvin.
Remember your roots. You were new at this one time too.

#30 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

He's the best, I think.

Keep in mind that he's calling the game on radio at the same time as TV, so you're hearing more of him.

I'm going to have to go out of my way to watch a Buffalo game now!

I generally prefer the radio guys to the TV guys. I think, usually, they paint a much clearer picture of what's going on. Obviously, they have to be pretty precise on the radio.

Given the high praise Jeanneret keeps getting, and the fact that he's simulcasting, I guess I'm going to have to watch some more Sabres games.

#31 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

I generally prefer the radio guys to the TV guys. I think, usually, they paint a much clearer picture of what's going on. Obviously, they have to be pretty precise on the radio.

Given the high praise Jeanneret keeps getting, and the fact that he's simulcasting, I guess I'm going to have to watch some more Sabres games.

He really is fun to listen too,makes me almost want to be a Sabres fan!:nono2:
Though I do like their team anyway,and hey,gotta love a city that gives us a Patrick Kane to play on our team!! As an aside,their tribute to him when the Hawks played there a couple weeks back was first class all the way!
Let's Go Buff-A-Lo! Except when you're playing the Hawks!

#32 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

"Top shelf where Momma hides the cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#33 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

The Rick Jenrett guy in Buffalo, the must annoying play by play man in sports.

That would be Bryant Gumbel. He's terrible!
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#34 OFFLINE   r0n

r0n

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

His name is Rick Jeanneret and he definitely is one of the best. I think he's so good because he's also simulcast on the radio so that's why he literally does the play by play in such detail. I didn't mention him since we weren't supposed to list our home team announcer.

MAY DAY!!!!!! Gotta love Rick, no question.

Joe B and Locker in DC are entertaining in their own way, decent guys for a second tier hockey market.

Always liked Panger wherever he was. His playoff games with with Steve Levy on ESPN were great, and he brings the same enthusiasm with the Coyotes. Holy Jumpin!!

I've always liked Hahn and Remenda in SJ and was glad to see Drew back this season. Rumors about McSorley's brief tenure abound on Sharks forums.

My locals are Ducks and Kings. No strong opinions about them, except for Jim Fox, whose delivery is the subject of a lot of impersonations by my hockey buddies because of the way he delivers every sentence in the same rising cadence.

Can't stand Bill Clement. Takes himself way too seriously.
------------------------------
DIRECTV HR20-700
Samsung LNT-4665F

#35 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

A name noone has mentioned is Chris Cuthburt who now works for TSN in Canada. In one of the great bone head moves of all time he was dropped by the CBC the year of the lockout. He is in the same league as Jim Hugshon.

I'm old enough to remember the great voices of the past. Foster and Bill Hewitt in Toronto, Danny Gallivan in Montreal and the late Dan Kelly senior in St Louis. In some ways I wish Bob Cole would retire because he WAS great but has passed his prime now.

#36 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Jiggs McDonald of the NYI. I'm not an Islanders fan but I like to watch games he calls !

Jimmy

#37 OFFLINE   3stripes

3stripes

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Jiggs McDonald of the NYI. I'm not an Islanders fan but I like to watch games he calls !

Jimmy

I loved Jiggs McDonald when he called the Atlanta Flames games way back in teh day, and will listen to him call the Isles games any chance I get.

Locally, I really like Darren Eliot for my Thrashers. I'm not crazy about JP Dellacamera as the play-by-play guy, though.

#38 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

Jimmy

Jiggs McDonald is indeed in the best of the best category. In the early 1980's he called a number of Leafs games when Bill Hewitt was sick and before he eventually retired at the end of the 1982 season.

#39 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

A name noone has mentioned is Chris Cuthburt who now works for TSN in Canada. In one of the great bone head moves of all time he was dropped by the CBC the year of the lockout. He is in the same league as Jim Hugshon.

Not true! I mentioned him in Post 14. He is excellent.

And now, thanks to the NHL Network, we get to 'hear' Chris and TSN in glorious HD!

#40 OFFLINE   mjbehren

mjbehren

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

Even though I grew up in Detroit watching the Wings... My vote for best duo ever has to be Bob Cole & Harry Neale from HNIC on CBC.

Mb

spam firewall