Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best NHL announcers..

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sportshermit

sportshermit

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

A name noone has mentioned is Chris Cuthburt who now works for TSN in Canada. In one of the great bone head moves of all time he was dropped by the CBC the year of the lockout. He is in the same league as Jim Hugshon.

I'm old enough to remember the great voices of the past. Foster and Bill Hewitt in Toronto, Danny Gallivan in Montreal and the late Dan Kelly senior in St Louis. In some ways I wish Bob Cole would retire because he WAS great but has passed his prime now.

I grew up listening to Dan Kelly on KMOX. Nothing compares in my mind (or ear). I enjoy the HNIC guys and Gary Thorne. Lange when in Pittsburgh had the best lines IMHO....

Emrick is overrated. It would be great if you could hear the color guys and not the play by play guys in the U.S.
Directv subscriber since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

Even though I grew up in Detroit watching the Wings... My vote for best duo ever has to be Bob Cole & Harry Neale from HNIC on CBC.

Harry Neale (who lives in suburban Buffalo) is now the color man for most Sabres games (he's still is under contract for some HNIC games and that trumps Sabres games if both fall on the same day).
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#43 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Not true! I mentioned him in Post 14. He is excellent.

And now, thanks to the NHL Network, we get to 'hear' Chris and TSN in glorious HD!

I mentioned him in post #6 <lol> !
I love listening to his games.He's got a great PxP voice.

Jimmy

#44 OFFLINE   dewey

dewey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

Joe Beninati on Versus is good. He really does his research and calls ALL of the player by their names. He does a good job of working with the color guys even if they are a bit awkward.

I can't stand him with his buddy Laughlin here in Washington though. They get really goofy and it is very annoying.
HD Hockey Nut

#45 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Mike Lange of the Pens
-Scratch my back with a hacksaw
-get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo's ready to roll
-buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too
-let's hunt moose
-look out loretta
-great balls of fire
-get that dog off my lawn
-beat him like a rented mule
-smiling like a butcher's dog
-Elvis has just left the buidling
-Throwing out checks like its the first of the month
-if you missed this, shame on you for six weeks
-____ hasn't happened since the 8th grade picnic

Jim Hughson and Joe Bowen for number 2-3.

#46 OFFLINE   penguinmike87

penguinmike87

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

As Penguin fan, I can't vote for my own Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey. Not that I would, anyway. Steigy is awful and Errey is only good when he's between the benches. So as for others...

Play-by-play like:
Strangis (Dallas)
Emrick (NJ)
Rosen (NYR)
Beninati (Wash)
Rose (NYI)
Kelly (StL), takes be back to the Dan Kelly days
Strader (Pho)
San Jose, whoever it is
Hughson (Van)

Play-by-play dislike:
Philly clown whoever he is
Jenrette (Buf)
Florida
Tampa Bay
Edwards (Bos) puts me to sleep

Analyst like:
Reaugh (Dal), by far the best, cerebral and funny
Micheletti (NYR)
Olczyk (Nat'l)
Pang (Pho), love his enthusiasm
Remenda (SJ), very honest

Analyst hate:
Laughlin (Wash), voice grates
Redmond (Det) total homer always whines about refs
Vanbiesbrouck (Nat'l)
Philly clowns, total homers

FWIW, I always hated Thorne and Clement.

#47 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

Joe Beninati on Versus is good. He really does his research and calls ALL of the player by their names. He does a good job of working with the color guys even if they are a bit awkward.

I can't stand him with his buddy Laughlin here in Washington though. They get really goofy and it is very annoying.

To each his own but I can't stand Beninati..... he is the most annoying broadcaster! Also I don't quite get the excitement for the guys doing the Pittsburgh games. My wife who is not a hockey fan walked past the TV the other night when I had a Pen's game on and her comment was that they sounded boring!

#48 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

Gene Hart and Don Earle or
Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick

I know, I know...I'm old.

#49 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Gene Hart and Don Earle or
Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick

I know, I know...I'm old.

Gene Hart is rolling over in his grave listening to the idiots on in Philly now. I can't stand listening to Flyers games anymore.

#50 OFFLINE   knives of ice

knives of ice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

i think its the vancouver announcer that does the west coast HNIC games. he's my favorite i think.

GREEEEAT save Laungo

#51 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

I don't know about you, but Doc Emerick's (Devils) voice is annoying as hell. Sounds like a little old man hanging on to a stop sign post during a hurricane.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#52 OFFLINE   bsnelson

bsnelson

I can has HR2x?

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Gotta go with Doc and Chico (if I can't go with my own Strangis and Reaugh).

For national (when Doc isn't involved), I definitely like Chris Cuthbert.

While I loved his "Lange-isms", I didn't really much care for Lange's play-by-play.

Brad

#53 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

So last night I'm sitting in bed, just about ready to turn off the TV, watching NHL channel, when Devils highlights come on.

Mike Emrick is hollering, as is his wont, about Brodeur, who did make a couple of pretty good saves. Then he yells about Brodeur's fantastic, marvelous, super duper, best save in the history of the NHL.

I'm watching, thinking to myself "Did Brodeur even TOUCH that?". So I backed it up a few times. Brodeur missed the puck by a good 18 inches. His very best friend, the goalpost, made the save for him!

Obviously I didn't see the broadcast, so maybe when they had a chance to look at the replay, they noticed that brodeur didn't make the play.. I don't know.. it just bugged me in the highlight hearing Emerick SWOON over Brodeur's play.

#54 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

the best duo ever was pat foley and dale tallon when they used to broadcast the blackhawks games on chicago radio from the mid 80s to the mid 90s...bar none..mike emrick is also very good.

#55 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

My man Gene Hart !! He was great.His daughter Lauren is the soloist for the Flyers.A great voice like her dad.
Don Earle Wow. I almost forgot about him.Isn't he the guy who said "He hit the post,he hit the #@^* post live on the air ?

Jimmy

#56 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

Sad when the Flyers best has passed away. After Hart, it's been very bad.

#57 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

To each his own but I can't stand Beninati..... he is the most annoying broadcaster! Also I don't quite get the excitement for the guys doing the Pittsburgh games. My wife who is not a hockey fan walked past the TV the other night when I had a Pen's game on and her comment was that they sounded boring!

Agreed - the current Pens TV guys are horrible. Bob Errey can't go one period without referring to the glory years of the early 90's. Gotta try to catch the radio broadcast since that is where they moved Mike Lange

#58 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

Mickey Redmond. Best ever. Lock the the thread.

#59 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

My man Gene Hart !! He was great.His daughter Lauren is the soloist for the Flyers.A great voice like her dad.
Don Earle Wow. I almost forgot about him.Isn't he the guy who said "He hit the post,he hit the #@^* post live on the air ?

Jimmy

That was Don.

I've been a Bruins fan forever (talk about pain)...and still smart at Bruins/Flyers Cup Series. Clarke hooked/tripped Orr and I think Kate Smith blocked the ref's view :)

#60 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Mickey Redmond. Best ever. Lock the the thread.

I guess you're the type that just takes his ball and goes home while your ahead?? :lol: :D

spam firewall