Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best NHL announcers..

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

That was Don.

I've been a Bruins fan forever (talk about pain)...and still smart at Bruins/Flyers Cup Series. Clarke hooked/tripped Orr and I think Kate Smith blocked the ref's view :)

Oh now come on...... Clarke NEVER tripped/hooked anyone EVER :lol: :bonk1:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Mickey Redmond. Best ever. Lock the the thread.

We're talking about best NHL play by play and color announcers,what are you talking about?
:rolleyes: :lol:

#63 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

We're talking about best NHL play by play and color announcers,what are you talking about?
:rolleyes: :lol:

Yes....thats who we are talking about :)

#64 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Oh now come on...... Clarke NEVER tripped/hooked anyone EVER :lol: :bonk1:

grrr.

Back to the topic...I used to like Bill Chadwick's interviews with the guy from the Maple Leafs...King Clancy? Talk about old time hockey guys.

Actually, the NBC crew wasn't that bad Ted Lindsay (stitch face) and the others were mildly entertaining. Peter Puck wasn't though.

#65 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Since I started the thread, I'll say there have been some great posts here. I'm surprised, though, that no one has mentioned Ken Daniels of the Wings. I purposely started the thread as one where you shouldn't vote for your own guys, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for Ken and Mickey. Even John Buccigross at ESPN called them the best announcing team in the NHL on his blog recently.

Having said that, you guys have made some other great choices. I miss Ken Wilson of the Blues. Their current guy, John Kelly, used to do the Avs, right? Maybe that's why I don't care for him.:D

#66 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

a bit late but I think this belongs in the sports forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#67 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Jim Hughson and Chris Cuthbert are both very good.

The "original" Dan Kelly was, in my opinion, the best play-by-play voice ever. His call on Bobby Orr's Stanley Cup winning goal is the stuff of legend.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

#68 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

they all sound like the same guy to me

#69 OFFLINE   mazter

mazter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

Best ever hands down was Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson and then after Johnny retired Derek Sanderson.

#70 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

Since I started the thread, I'll say there have been some great posts here. I'm surprised, though, that no one has mentioned Ken Daniels of the Wings. I purposely started the thread as one where you shouldn't vote for your own guys, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for Ken and Mickey. Even John Buccigross at ESPN called them the best announcing team in the NHL on his blog recently.

Having said that, you guys have made some other great choices. I miss Ken Wilson of the Blues. Their current guy, John Kelly, used to do the Avs, right? Maybe that's why I don't care for him.:D

Ken and Mickey are far and away my favorites. As a die-hard Red Wing fan I feel very lucky that I get to listen to them so much.

#71 OFFLINE   Davesmith8

Davesmith8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

Ken and Mickey are far and away my favorites. As a die-hard Red Wing fan I feel very lucky that I get to listen to them so much.

I really like Ken and Mickey, too. If I'm watching the Wings and the announcers for the HD feed are the other team's, I'll watch in SD to have Ken and Mickey as the announcers.

Lately, DirecTv has been having both feeds from a number of games which is great although they don't always have two HD feeds. It is better when they have both in HD so I can choose the announcers I want to hear.

(Drew Remenda is also very good particularly at explaining rules, etc., but since I'm in CA I won't mention him :) ).

Pang for Phoenix is good also.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H20
HR10-250
WB68 multiswitches (2)

#72 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

I really like Ken and Mickey, too. If I'm watching the Wings and the announcers for the HD feed are the other team's, I'll watch in SD to have Ken and Mickey as the announcers.

Pang for Phoenix is good also.

Yes I like Ken and Mickey as well I really don't think that they are homers as some of the others are.
They never seem to scream like some of the others.
Mickey does pan the refs quite a lot I am surprised that the NHL does not try a shut him up about the refs.

#73 OFFLINE   Davesmith8

Davesmith8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Yes I like Ken and Mickey as well I really don't think that they are homers as some of the others are.
They never seem to scream like some of the others.
Mickey does pan the refs quite a lot I am surprised that the NHL does not try a shut him up about the refs.

That's probably because he is usually correct.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H20
HR10-250
WB68 multiswitches (2)

#74 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Even as a ranger and panther fan, you cant beat the devils anouncers...class act

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#75 OFFLINE   Slabfoot

Slabfoot

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Gary Thorne and Bill Clement!

I've come across Thorne announcing college football and major league baseball games.

#76 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

I've come across Thorne announcing college football and major league baseball games.

Gary Thorne still does a little hockey -- The NCAA Frozen Four this past week (on ESPN) and the World Juniors this past year in Buffalo on the NHL Network.

#77 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

Surprised that no one has mentioned Al Trautwig. back in the day, he used to do the Bruins bames on NESN.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#78 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

couldn't agree more! though i love the late Dan Kelly - esp calling the '87 canada cup winning goal in game 3!

spam firewall