Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ces2008 - Hdpc20

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CiXel

CiXel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

The Ethernet port is probably akin to the phone line in other receivers ie. authorizing PPV for the tuners and the like.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ladderless

ladderless

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

This seems to answer my dreams for a whole-house DVR... Is anyone having consistant success with HD over WIFI? That would complete the circle for me, especially if I didn't need a ful-fledged computer at each TV.

#23 OFFLINE   robd54

robd54

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:25 AM

If i missed this questions I apologize, but will it support HD on the PC and recording HD channels to can be watched over an xbox360? Thanks!

#24 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

If i missed this questions I apologize, but will it support HD on the PC and recording HD channels to can be watched over an xbox360? Thanks!

HDPC certainly implies HD - but the brochure doesn't state specifically.

It will perform any function a tuner in Media Center will - so yes streaming to Xbox360 is a go.

Chris

#25 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:48 AM

Probably for VOD and connecting to DirecTV, which would be pretty dumb considering the thing is connected to a full-fledged PC.

Interesting the fine print mentions that it requires a media center pc running "windows vista". So is xp media center edition out? Probably not, and it probably doesn't matter anyway.

I saw this too :nono2:
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#26 OFFLINE   UnnDunn

UnnDunn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:53 AM

Mac support?

And honestly, if DirecTV can do this without requiring a brand-new, CableCARD certified PC, why can't the Cable folks do it?

#27 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:55 AM

Probably for VOD and connecting to DirecTV, which would be pretty dumb considering the thing is connected to a full-fledged PC.

Interesting the fine print mentions that it requires a media center pc running "windows vista". So is xp media center edition out? Probably not, and it probably doesn't matter anyway.

I would say XP is definitely out - I never expected anything else.

Two reasons:
1) XP doesn't have the tuner security that I'm sure DirecTV (and its providers) were looking for. Cablecards are only compatible with Vista. At least this solution doesn't require OEM boxes!

2) Microsoft probably required it. They don't want to continue developing new/highly desirable products on XP. They want to continue to build reasons to drive people to Vista and artificially locking new *toys* to Vista is one way they do it.

Chris

#28 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:58 AM

Mac support?

And honestly, if DirecTV can do this without requiring a brand-new, CableCARD certified PC, why can't the Cable folks do it?

I don't think DirecTV/Apple ever announced an agreement/partnership, whereas DirecTV/Microsoft did. I think until Apple commits the same resources (people/money/whatever), DirecTV will have little incentive to work with them.

Although this works for me (MSFT guy), I do feel bad for the Mac/Linux users out there. Perhaps if its USB and the security is built into the box... maybe maybe the decoding tools will be opensource or otherwise available to allow the connection in the near future.

Chris

#29 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:02 AM

so i could connect this to my pc and it would let me watch a show, movie, or live stream on pc and tv? what else will it do?

#30 OFFLINE   CaMS

CaMS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

What's the Ethernet port for on the back? "Future use"?

I heard that it was only for Development, and it would not be on the final version..those pics that where shown are still prototype's in the design area..but M$ does currently have it up and running inside of VMC.. if you look at the pics, it does not list the ethernet port under input\outputs

#31 OFFLINE   UnnDunn

UnnDunn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

so i could connect this to my pc and it would let me watch a show, movie, or live stream on pc and tv? what else will it do?

It will allow you to record shows using Windows Media Center on Vista, and in conjunction with a Media Center Extender (eg. Xbox 360 or HP MediaSmart TV), will allow you to watch live and recorded shows on said TV.

An advantage of this is it presumably counts as only one receiver on your account, but Windows Media Center allows streaming on up to 4 Extenders at the same time, network conditions permitting, but you'll only be able to tune two channels simultaneously, so one wonders how they will reconcile that. Even with that limitation, this will serve as a fantastic whole-house DVR solution.

#32 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

Has it been confirmed by D* that this will indeed be a stand-alone product, and not require a new PC purchase to get one (ala the OCUR boxes)? I've seen a lot of speculation, but no confirmation from any of the folks that actually talked to D* yesterday.

#33 OFFLINE   UnnDunn

UnnDunn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

Also, it occurs to me that a Sat-Go style portable antenna would be fantastic in conjunction with this and a media center lapotop.

#34 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

Also, it occurs to me that a Sat-Go style portable antenna would be fantastic in conjunction with this and a media center lapotop.

That would be a tremendous amount of "stuff" to carry around..
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#35 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

At this point... probably just VISTA SP1 and up...
One of the reasons for the delay was because of the security issues around the content, that have supposidly been resolved with Vista SP1

As for the network port.
We will see how this unit communicats with XBOX360... maybe it is possible with software updates on the XBOX360... it can communicate directly with it, instead of through a PC
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   CaMS

CaMS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

It will allow you to record shows using Windows Media Center on Vista, and in conjunction with a Media Center Extender (eg. Xbox 360 or HP MediaSmart TV), will allow you to watch live and recorded shows on said TV.

An advantage of this is it presumably counts as only one receiver on your account, but Windows Media Center allows streaming on up to 4 Extenders at the same time, network conditions permitting, but you'll only be able to tune two channels simultaneously, so one wonders how they will reconcile that. Even with that limitation, this will serve as a fantastic whole-house DVR solution.

it will work with any v2 extender such as the new dlink & linksys as well as the 360 and the new HP one...
If this unit is not OEM only, im sure there will be a hack that will let you run 2 of these things..so you can get 4 tuners

#37 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

I'd be ok with 1 of these, and OTA tuners. It would eliminate the limitation of the HR2x of only 2 recorded streams. If you could record two OTA, two Satellite, and have your recorded content - I think 1 of these boxes would be fine with extenders...

of course, the more tuners the merrier!

Chris

#38 OFFLINE   Qusix

Qusix

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:35 AM

I'm currently a cable subscriber. I think the time has come for me to make the switch. I'm looking forward to this product.

#39 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:35 AM

I heard that it was only for Development, and it would not be on the final version..those pics that where shown are still prototype's in the design area..but M$ does currently have it up and running inside of VMC.. if you look at the pics, it does not list the ethernet port under input\outputs

Well, let me introduce the DirecTV marketing department to a little program called Photoshop. ;) They could have just edited the darn port out rather than get people all excited or confused.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#40 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

The thing that scares me about this :

Its probably for Vista only - so imagine trying to delete a program

Delete ?
OK
A program has requested blah, blah .. Allow ?
OK
Are You Sure ?
OK
This file will not fit ...
OK
This operation requires elevated status...
OK

spam firewall