Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ces2008 - Hdpc20

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

The thing that scares me about this :

Its probably for Vista only - so imagine trying to delete a program

Delete ?
OK
A program has requested blah, blah .. Allow ?
OK
Are You Sure ?
OK
This file will not fit ...
OK
This operation requires elevated status...
OK

And the problem is?

You can turn off or by pass all of those questions, if you want to disable those features.
I don't want to turn this into an OS battle thread.

But now having used Vista for the last 9 months or so... it is getting a very unfair "rap" out there.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

Delete ?
OK
OK
Are You Sure ?
OK
OK
OK

Sounds to me like you've been watching too many Mac commercials.....

#43 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:46 AM

Delete ?
OK
OK
Are You Sure ?
OK
OK
OK

I understand you're probably kidding here, but I thought I'd mention that I've yet to have media center under Vista give me more than a single confirmation prompt.

#44 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:46 AM

And the problem is?

You can turn off or by pass all of those questions, if you want to disable those features.
I don't want to turn this into an OS battle thread.

But now having used Vista for the last 9 months or so... it is getting a very unfair "rap" out there.

That was not my intention at all - and from what I understand sp1 will relax some of the dialogs. It was a feeble attempt at humor - ala mac and pc guy commercials.

I will now crawl back into my hole.

#45 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

Ealr, if you you are right the the Vista that the public uses now would have to be updated to sp1. Correct? Even the 360 would require a download to make it work.
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#46 OFFLINE   rgreenpc

rgreenpc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

Earl -

Any chance if you can find out how many of these wonderful machines one can stick on a single PC?

#47 OFFLINE   greynolds

greynolds

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

A few observations:

1) This is AWESOME news.

2) I would have thought they could have put it into a smaller box - 7" tall is a bit much. I'll find a way to make it fit though :D.

3) I really hope that 2 (or more) of these will work together on the same PC. I currently have a BeyondTV system that uses 6 HD OTA tuners - it's rare that more than 2 are going at the same time, but it does happen. It would be great to have 2 HDPC20's (4 Sat tuners) along with 4 HD OTA tuners all connected to the same box.

4) I'll upgrade to and Vista and use Media Center if I have to, but I really hope there will be a way to make these work with with BeyondTV (and SageTV) - even if I still have to upgrade to Vista.

It'll be interesting to see what the pricing will be AND when we'll be able to get our hands on these.

#48 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:51 AM

Earl -

Any chance if you can find out how many of these wonderful machines one can stick on a single PC?

My guess is only one, but can you imagine having two or three of these on one PC? That's 4-6 video streams! LOL! :eek2:
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#49 OFFLINE   SENATOR

SENATOR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

I believe that Butthead captured it best when he said, "This is the coolest thing... I have ever seen."
HR20-700 release 0x022B
AU9 "Slimline" 5-LNB Dish
Configured: Native OFF | 1080i Pillar | DD ON
HDTV: Panasonic TH-50PX6U connected via Panasonic HDMI & component video to HR20
Home Theater: Pioneer VSX-D608 connected via optical cable to HR20
DVD: Panasonic RP-62
Remote: DirecTV RC32RF (Backlit)

#50 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

Ealr, if you you are right the the Vista that the public uses now would have to be updated to sp1. Correct? Even the 360 would require a download to make it work.

SP 1 will be a automatic update for all vista systems from Microsoft update sometime around the end of February. It's no big deal...I'm typing this on a Vista SP1 system. As far as I know no update to any extender including x360's would be required.

#51 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

That was not my intention at all - and from what I understand sp1 will relax some of the dialogs. It was a feeble attempt at humor - ala mac and pc guy commercials.

I will now crawl back into my hole.

Sorry... it is early morning here in Vegas, and my cold is still in full force.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#52 OFFLINE   CaMS

CaMS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

NO, it will not be Vista SP1.. you will need the next Vista Media Center update, its codenamed " Fiji ". You will prob. here more info after SP1 gets released, which is hopefully soon, prob. by march.. then we have to wait for the Fiji update, then we are ready to goo..

This is not confirmed but I'm just "assuming" that the Fiji update will be around the 08 Holiday season.. Remember there is no Public beta not even to the elite M$ beta testers YET.. its only available internally to M$.. Usually when a M$ product hits beta, it RTMs around 8 months or so..and thats not including any big holdups..

So just be patient.. SP1 is a step into getting the system ready for this card... and yea it will control the UAC a little better, meaning not 1000 prompts and will beef up security and prob. put some security in place for these tuner card

#53 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

SP 1 will be a automatic update for all vista systems from Microsoft update sometime around the end of February. It's no big deal...I'm typing this on a Vista SP1 system. As far as I know no update to any extender including x360's would be required.

Nice, kewl stuff. I like Vista and it's been rock solid for me so that's nice to read.:)

#54 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

You know Earl... I could be on a plane by 10:00am Eastern if you need someone to take your place out there... :D

Chris

#55 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

99.9% chance that it will need SP1, as over the last year... that was one of the main reasons why the unit didn't move foward faster (the HDPC-20).

SP1 is already an RC IIRC, so available for download to anyone that wants it today, and soon ready as a full blown released item...

And given that people have commented that the 360 can't talk directly to an item like this, yes... I would think the 360 would need a software update to talk directly to it.
If that is going to be an option (that is just speculation regarding the comments of working with 360 in the documents)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#56 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

99.9% chance that it will need SP1, as over the last year... that was one of the main reasons why the unit didn't move foward faster (the HDPC-20).

SP1 is already an RC IIRC, so available for download to anyone that wants it today, and soon ready as a full blown released item...

And given that people have commented that the 360 can't talk directly to an item like this, yes... I would think the 360 would need a software update to talk directly to it.

A lot of the extender stuff is actually on the PC side (you need to install extender software when initially setting up the connection to the 360), so most likely there is an update on that end. The 360 may also have an update, but I think most of it will be PC based.

I'm really pumped for this, but I'll have to start prepping the wife that I need to buy a new computer. :)

#57 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

That's big news. I didn't realize sp1 was already downloadable I may try to load it tonight.

#58 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

Earl -

As has been the case with past media center products (turners) the official answer is 2 tuners or in this case one HDPC20. But "hacks" exist to add more than the officially supported number of tuners. The most interesting thing will be if these reside in the analog tuners space or digital one. Media center has a official limit of 2 of each type. Please do not be confused by the tuner space names, there are lot s of tuners that tune digital TV streams but reside in the analog tuner space,CableCard being one such example.

It has been reported that the next Media Center update (Fuji) will add official support for 4 tuners in each space. Fuji is expected latter this year.

#59 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

My guess is only one, but can you imagine having two or three of these on one PC? That's 4-6 video streams! LOL! :eek2:

I already have 4 OTA tuners in my Vista MCE machine. All 4 can record at one time without a single hiccup. I've seen folks with 8 tuners running at once. :D

#60 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

A lot of the extender stuff is actually on the PC side (you need to install extender software when initially setting up the connection to the 360), so most likely there is an update on that end. The 360 may also have an update, but I think most of it will be PC based.

I'm really pumped for this, but I'll have to start prepping the wife that I need to buy a new computer. :)

The thought/remote possibility is that the HDPC20 will work directly off the USB port of the 360 - effectively turning the 360 into an advanced DirecTV receiver (no PC, no extender, no Vista - just a 360)

Which would be really cool for dorms/colleges/apartments... I'd like the MRV solution of having it on a PC, but IF they make it work directly with a 360 I can see the value.

Chris

spam firewall