Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XStreamHD Press Conference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

Engadget is doing live updates from the XStreamHD Press Conference:

http://www.engadget....onference-live/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

XStreamHD was a very interesting press conference.

Tom and I were sitting right behind Ben (the author of the Engadget Blog linked).

Later on today, or tomorrow... I will post some of my comments and feelings about XStreamHD
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

XstreamHD Press Conference
Michael Douglas—Investor
talked passionately about the movie going experience now available at home. 1080p, with subtle details only visible at high data rates from XtreamHD.

George Gonzales Founder
Comes in the form of whole home solution with a Media Server and HD receiver (clients).

Media server is not video on demand—it’s better. Letting the end consumer see what is coming out from the comfort of their home. Trailers, synopsis, actors, etc. Then downloading as soon as the studio releases the title.

Virtual Personal library. Rent or Own. No channels, no schedule.

Participates in DLNA, level 1.5 certified. Pioneer plasma, PS3, Pioneer blu-ray player are existingDLNA clients.

Media server can stream to multiple receivers simultaneously. Up to 4 at one time.

They have DTS and Seagate Technologies partnerships. DTS lossless Master Audio featured.

Not new encoding technologies, just a new transport mechanism. Starts with master sources from studios at the highest data stream rates.

Delivered via satellite, using existing satellite assets. (Tho not yet leased.)

Multiple streams delivered via satellite. XstreamHD brings the title information to consumer months in advance, they can select at their leisure. As soon as studio releases title, it then is downloaded to your server. (In the future also distribute via IP)

Many formats supported: MPEG2, MPEG4, Dolby, etc. at upto 80mbs stream rate.

Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift
was produced at 80mbs stream rate and will be available at that rate.

OTA included as well. 3 OTA channels simultaneously!

Adaptive recording, dynamically adjusts start and end times to prevent sports overrun and show shifting. Patent is pending.

Launch in October, covering North America including US and Canada.

No signed deals with studios yet.

Service model likely will be a hybrid model of some subscription and PPV/rental/own of content as dictated by studios.

Sell cycle: direct market approach via website. Professional installers as well as DIY.

Self install drives for added capacity.

There are 3 models: 500gb, 1tb, 2tb. eSATA is supported, part of the Seagates Technologies partnership.

Not using Linux.

Can upload your media to the media server for distribution.

Transport can deliver full length title in 15 minutes.

HD Receiver has HDMI 1.3 audio, DTS, component, and composite. (no S-video) For audio, SPDIF optical and coax.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

My thought is that this could easily be a replacement for HD-DVD and Blu-ray, (traditional) Video on Demand, and/or Netflix.

Today this is XstreamHD is passion, technology, vision, hardware, and business hopes, IMHO. Very powerful statement, but still lacking the key business agreements/partnerships with satellite, installers, sales channels, and most importantly studios.

That does not mean to denigrate the value proposition. It sounds wonderful. To be able to host my entire library without having to acquire optical players in every room, yet have better HD than Blu-ray or HD-DVD would be fantastic.

Movies in my house potentially faster then I could pick them up at Blockbuster. Certainly faster than netflix could deliver in a hard format. And likely faster than traditional IP.

They are heading forth. Price points and content will be key. With many of the technological problems already solved (it seems), if they can get the pricing right and the studio support, this could be awesome.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

I'm a bit concerned this will end up going the way of Voom... Definately sounds interesting though.

#6 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

I'm a bit concerned this will end up going the way of Voom... Definately sounds interesting though.

First thing I thought of also, Voom... However, I'll still be checking the tech out and see how it develops.

#7 OFFLINE   bigpuma

bigpuma

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

No signed deals with studios? Why do I get the feeling that is going to kill them.
5LNB Dish (AT9) =>
DirecTV SWM 16 =>
HR22-100 (Main TV Room)
HR21-100 (Master Bedroom)
H23-600 (Office)

#8 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

I would very much like to see this come to the market place, in at very least the tech that is going into it. Man how I wish some of the others went this way...

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#9 OFFLINE   slimline

slimline

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

I would very much like to see this come to the market place, in at very least the tech that is going into it. Man how I wish some of the others went this way...

I LIKE IT IT EVER CATCHES ON FIRST RUN MOVIES IT WILL BE NICE

DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH THE SERVICE COST, AND EQUIPMENT COST.

#10 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Two questions:

1 - what the heck is DLNA certified and can I safely assume my 4 year old CRT HD TV isnt?

2 - what size dish is it going to need?

#11 OFFLINE   zeagus

zeagus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

swiped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLNA

The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) (formerly Digital Home Working Group) is an international, cross-industry collaboration of consumer electronics, computing industry and mobile device companies. The main objective of DLNA is the establishment of a wired and wireless interoperable network of personal computers (PC), consumer electronics (CE) and mobile devices in the home and on the road, enabling a seamless environment for sharing new digital media and content services. DLNA is focused on delivering an interoperability framework of design guidelines based on internationally recognized open industry standards together with a certification and logo program to officially verify and validate the conformance and interoperability of compliant products for the consumers.

----------

So basically, DLNA certifies devices to share content and services on the network using a shared interoperability spec. TVersity, for example, serving content to my PS3 or HR20 is an implementation of a DLNA or UPnP AV compliant media server setup. And yeah, on question 2, thats probably a safe bet :)

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

My sense is that normally this might not have been announced so prominently at this time, but CES is when it is. It sounds great in concept, now they need to fill in the rest of the pieces to make it real. When they do, this could fly very nicely.

Not as a replacement for DIRECTV or Dish. As a potential replacement for Netflix, Blockbuster, HD-DVD, Blu-ray?

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#13 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

I LIKE IT IT EVER CATCHES ON FIRST RUN MOVIES IT WILL BE NICE

DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH THE SERVICE COST, AND EQUIPMENT COST.

The press release I saw said the main unit was going to be around $399 but no word on the monthly charge.

While it sounds a bit like Voom, its a whole-house system, supplying supplying 4 HDTVs per unit and recording 3 ATSC shows OTA and able to get satellite programming as well.

The questions about deals with studios and the lack of satellites is what I did not see in the press release. The unit sounds a LOT like a TiVo to me, only much more advanced.

Expected target date of 4th Qtr 08 to product launch, so we will see what actually makes it to market.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

At the press conference, they gave this example of how to think about the service: "Imagine going into a video store and picking up 200 of your favorite movies and taking them home. Watch any of them you want, when you want. Hold on to them as long as you want. Return a few if you are done with them. You don't have to wait for a movie to show up on the schedule. It's already there."

This is going to be nothing like Netflix, Voom or HBO. More like a Video on Demand that happens to have your full library of your favorite movies. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#15 OFFLINE   jginaz

jginaz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

I asked the lady at the booth if they would be using satellite for their programming and she said well... maybe. I didn't see the announcement so didn't know anything about this service when I went to the booth (an understated term for their display). I thought that was a pretty unusual answer. I guess there aren't any agreements in place for delivery of the service. They must have lots of investment money since the booth was very elaborate.

Jay

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Your DBSTalk moderators on site at CES2008 are proud to give you this peek into Xtreame HD press conference from the Consumer Electronics show!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010774M.JPG
  • P1010785M.JPG
  • P1010791M.JPG
  • P1010792M.JPG
  • P1010793M.JPG
  • P1010794M.JPG
  • P1010795M.JPG
  • P1010796M.JPG

#17 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

Picture Set #2

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010798M.JPG
  • P1010799M.JPG
  • P1010800M.JPG
  • P1010801M.JPG
  • P1010802M.JPG
  • P1010806M.JPG
  • P1010807M.JPG
  • P1010808M.JPG

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

Picture Set #3

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010812M.JPG
  • P1010818M.JPG
  • P1010822M.JPG

#19 OFFLINE   OneOfOne

OneOfOne

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

this seems to me to be pointless unless you live in the boonies. youre going to stream hd movies to a server in your residence instead of using the established [or future] services that do this in hard copy? why? and if you lose power or have a destructive event in your home then what? power goes out while you are downloading? maybe I am missing something but there isnt much substance to this 'announcement', and to me its pointless. if I am a cable company why wouldnt I just bury this outfit with upgraded VoD? we all know people using netflix and the like to build their libraries by copying, not that I condone it. why are these people going for this service? not to mention rain fade. using their own concept, when is the last time anyone rented more than 10 movies at once? can you even name 200 movies? I mark this as vaporware.

now that I have had a few minutes to think about it there is a better way to do this. its called filesharing. all you would need is upgraded network infrastructure for downloading, something on the order of what they have in asia [20-30mbs or higher] and download movies to a box in your entertainment room. put drm on them so you cant copy or share but CAN mrv. make it a LEGITIMATE bittorent style service. use the storage tech like kaliedescope does. THEN you would have something.
professionally calibrated Sony 60xbr2
professionally calibrated Sony es5200 based sound system featuring klipsch rf-52 5.1 speakers
Sony 700 series lcd
Sony 800 series 3d lcd
2 boxee boxes and one popcorn hour A300

anyone who watches 'reality' tv is single handedly lowering our species collective IQ

#20 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

this seems to me to be pointless unless you live in the boonies. youre going to stream hd movies to a server in your residence instead of using the established [or future] services that do this in hard copy? why? and if you lose power or have a destructive event in your home then what? power goes out while you are downloading? maybe I am missing something but there isnt much substance to this 'announcement', and to me its pointless. if I am a cable company why wouldnt I just bury this outfit with upgraded VoD? we all know people using netflix and the like to build their libraries by copying, not that I condone it. why are these people going for this service? not to mention rain fade. using their own concept, when is the last time anyone rented more than 10 movies at once? can you even name 200 movies? I mark this as vaporware.

I think this could very easily replace Netfilx. My biggest complaint about downloading movies is its way too slow. Based on what I have read the last day or two this will solved that problem and I would have no problem canceling my Netflix for this service.

And one thing that is driving me nuts about Netflix right now is how long it now takes to get a movie on Blu-Ray. If I could go home tonight and watch movies that just came out yesterday and not have to wait weeks to get them Netflix is big deal to me...
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

spam firewall