Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XStreamHD Press Conference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

Seems like products such as this are exactly what the writers are striking over right now.

I thought they were striking because they want a bigger cut of the INTERNET versions of the programs...

The xStreamHD model, is a LOT closer to the DVD Rental/PPV business
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   flipper2006

flipper2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

I'm a bit concerned this will end up going the way of Voom... Definately sounds interesting though.

Cant go the way of Voom, you would need to find a father and son that fight with each other and dont give a damn about the customer :eek2:

#43 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

I thought they were striking because they want a bigger cut of the INTERNET versions of the programs...

The xStreamHD model, is a LOT closer to the DVD Rental/PPV business

I think it's about new delivery methods, both known (such as Internet) and unknown, which are not covered by the current contracts.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#44 OFFLINE   SteveInNC

SteveInNC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

So will it always be on your drive? Don't know...
And until we hear about the PPV model, don't know if it will be there "forever" either.

I would be amazed if you got to "keep" movies. The studios have given every indication that they would like a business model where you effectively PPV for each view. From their perspective, Divx (the DVD-like format) was a good thing...:nono2:

What may make the studios bend their preferences somewhat in favor of this provider/mechanism is that this gives them a chance to poke Apple in the eye. I strongly suspect that Macworld is going to yield an amp'ed-up AppleTV combined with some form of downloadable rental model. The described XStream unit and delivery method end-run that pretty effectively.

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

The ownership/rent/PPV model will all depend upon the studios in conjunction with XStreamHD. I can see many options being possible, such as a time-based viewing right, number of viewings based price, and full ownership of the library item option. Done right, all models could work for any movie. Transformers I might buy outright; others only rent for a few showings. And first run might be a one day PPV until it's released for owning.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#46 OFFLINE   SteveInNC

SteveInNC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:48 AM

Also, the XStream system sounds like a steroid version of Disney's failed MovieBeam VOD system. MovieBeam distributed movies down to a DVR-like box via digital signals on PBS OTA broadcast channels. Movies accumulated on your particular box, based on availability. You could then choose to view (and pay for) any of the movies that were presently loaded on your box. Overtime, older movies would be replaced with newer movies. The PPV fee varied based on the expected popularity/age/etc. of the movie and the format (SD/HD) it was in.

#47 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

SteveInNC, do you recall why that failed in the marketplace? That would be an interesting case for XstreamHD to learn from.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#48 OFFLINE   SteveInNC

SteveInNC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

SteveInNC, do you recall why that failed in the marketplace? That would be an interesting case for XstreamHD to learn from.

Thanks,
Tom

I don't know any specifics. I do know that they might have had trouble getting PBS affiliates for sufficient nationwide coverage. I was very interested in the product at the time, but they didn't offer it in my area (Raleigh, NC - UNC Public TV). In some quick Googling around, it appears that they may also have had PQ issues. Disney sold it off in 2006 to another company affiliated with Intel and Cisco , which then shut the service down in December 2007. Here is an EnGadget link to several articles across the history of MovieBeam: link.

#49 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:21 AM

DING DING....

For me as a consumer.... I am still so turned off by the costs of the optical HD Media based movies.... I only own about 5 HD-DVD's... wouldn't even have those, if I didn't get the drive as a gift (basically with gift cards) for the XBOX360

If this product performs even remotely close to what they are selling....
You will see it become a viable discussion point when discussing the distribution of HD movies.

I don't by that many movies DVD or HDM. I don't re-watch that many movies, but I do rent a lot of the from Netflix and getting tried of the increasing waiting game with Netflix.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#50 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

I would be amazed if you got to "keep" movies. The studios have given every indication that they would like a business model where you effectively PPV for each view. From their perspective, Divx (the DVD-like format) was a good thing...:nono2:

What may make the studios bend their preferences somewhat in favor of this provider/mechanism is that this gives them a chance to poke Apple in the eye. I strongly suspect that Macworld is going to yield an amp'ed-up AppleTV combined with some form of downloadable rental model. The described XStream unit and delivery method end-run that pretty effectively.

If the rumors hold true, and hope not, I will be somewhat disappointed with the Apple rental model. I heard you will only get to keep them 24 hours and they will be $3.99. I think that is too short of a time and way too much for a downloaded movie.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#51 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

I'm a bit concerned this will end up going the way of Voom... Definately sounds interesting though.

I think Voom was out too soon, they had a service before they had enough content.... Just MHO
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#52 OFFLINE   SteveInNC

SteveInNC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

If the rumors hold true, and hope not, I will be somewhat disappointed with the Apple rental model. I heard you will only get to keep them 24 hours and they will be $3.99. I think that is too short of a time and way too much for a downloaded movie.

Yeah, I agree. The studios keep picking weird pricing numbers for variants of PPV, as they do for hard media (DVD, etc.). They don't seem to understand the psychology involved: I'll buy more in total $$ than I would have if I feel that I'm getting value for that money. In other contexts, I refer to this as my "threshold of pain". If your price is enough to make me think about it in relation to the object offered, I'm considerably less likely to buy it. For PPV, my threshold feels like it would be around $2, inclusive (taxes, etc.). I'd be inclined to watch a bunch of PPV during a month at that price, even without ownership. I might watch one PPV each month at $4 per, and that's only if the AppleTV becomes multipurpose like a media center. I've bought exactly one PPV from DirecTV in the fourteen years since I got the service, but I was willing to pay $900 for the original DTV RCA receiver and do a self-install three months before they officially rolled out the then-untried service (early adopter) because the value proposition was that much better to me in relation to the ultra-crappy cable service I had.

This is similar to my DVD purchase habits. I'll rummage through the DVD discount box at Walmart and will pick up anything remotely interesting for their $5.00 price. At $10, that becomes a thinking decision. At $15, I have to want it. At typical initial retail DVD prices ($20-25), it had better be on my (short) list of favorite movies for me to even consider it - I know that within a few months, the price will drop to or closer to $10, and I'm very willing to wait. This same psychology has kept me from seriously considering either hidef DVD format because the studios decided that they're offering something of more value (I disagree), so they've set the standard price closer to $30-45. I can think of maybe four movies that I would buy at that price, just for the hidef.

Re: Apple. I would consider $4 OK if you got to permanently retain the movie, even DRMed to your box. The studios' cost of goods is effectively nil for this - Apple is likely the digital media source via iTunes or equivalent - so the studios are just gouging on their margins at that price. They have no distribution costs, effectively no inventory costs, no shipping, no returns, no damaged goods, minimal marketing for the service (sunk cost for the theater release of the movie), plus they can make their entire catalogs available. This means that any archived movie that they have that can cover the digitizing costs would be worth releasing. I don't know where that $$ break-over is, but I suspect that it's virtually free for anything that they've already converted to DVD. They can monetize that many more movies, increasing their total revenue, as opposed to retail where they have to compete for limited shelf space and older titles get cycled out of availability as a result.

#53 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Please continue the discussion on XstreamHD here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=115434
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...