Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 Owners: Do you use your PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use your PS3 as a Blu-ray player? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use your PS3 as a Blu-ray player?

1. Yes, I love the Blu-ray player in my PS3 (13 votes [76.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. No, I only play games with it (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. What is Blu-ray? (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Someone here challenged Sony's numbers, so I thought I would do a little poll of my own. PS3 owners only please.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:08 AM

You must realize of course that a poll on an internet forum like this is going to be useless for describing the average consumer. If anyone participates in this poll and votes anything other than knowing they can play Blu ray in their PS3, then they are probably not being honest.

The handful of folks (apologies to DBSTalk!) who participate in this forum no doubt are much more keenly aware of their PS3 than is the average consumer.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

I would say that most people buying a PS3 know it can play Blu-Ray. The big Blu-Ray logo on the front of the box should let everyone else know.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

My primary reason for even considering a PS3... is because of it's Blu-Ray feature.

Without that feature... PS3 wouldn't even enter my train of thought as a possible purchase.

While my son loves the Rachet and Clank series... He is more then happy with the 360 and the Wii... so the games would be played, simply because I have the option to do so.

So as for a consumer thinking of purchasing... Blu-Ray is the primary reason
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

Earl...same for me Bluray was the primary reason for getting it even though all the gamers I knew said to get an XBOX360. I was not interested in the gaming part however I have found a few games exclusive to the PS3 that I really like.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#6 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Even though I don't own one just yet, the Blu-Ray capability may be the sole reason I purchase one.

I am more than happy with our 360, Wii, and various other consoles for gaming concerns. :grin:
-Chris

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

If this poll were posted in the Underwater Basket Weaving forums or the "Fill in the Blank" forums, the results would most likely be out of phase by about 180 degrees from here. This is not the place to get an accuate representation.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

I purchased ours mainly for it's Blu-Ray, and for one particular game (Eye of Judgement). Figured it was a good hedge just in case the "war" went the other way....

#9 OFFLINE   texaswolf

texaswolf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

You must realize of course that a poll on an internet forum like this is going to be useless for describing the average consumer. If anyone participates in this poll and votes anything other than knowing they can play Blu ray in their PS3, then they are probably not being honest.

The handful of folks (apologies to DBSTalk!) who participate in this forum no doubt are much more keenly aware of their PS3 than is the average consumer.

How funny! That was me who challenged Sony's numbers...i mentioned a survey done in August 2007 where 40% of ps3 owners were aware or used the BR player (xbox was in a poll also)....he came back with the most recent numbers 2 days ago of 87% used it for the BR player...those numbers came from....Sony...what a surprise.

This was all do to the "numbers" game on players sold...again.
I was trying to make him realize that not every PS3 was bought as a BR player.

Next time you want to get results from ps3 users i wouldn't post a poll on a Satellite/Tech forum:nono2:
Samsung 56" DLP 1080i
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD
Playstation 3 20gb w/ WD 160gb external
Dish Vip622 (Turbo HD + Premiums) w/My Book 500gb External, Mybook 750gb External, WD 250gb External
Sony STR-DG 510 Receiver

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

Frank Sinatra

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Last time I'm going to say this. One thread regarding the war and HD-DVD, PS3, Blu-Ray, Sony etc.

Closing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...