Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CES2008: DirecTV HD DVR Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Attached is the scanned document about the HD-DVR PRO

You can see the rack mounting equipment in the first picture (which is included with the unit).

In a nutshell - HR21 on steroids.

PDF File (1.6mb)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thewavgod

thewavgod

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hmmmm with the name Pro, I would have thought there would be a lil more to it than the few things it list that differ from the standard HR21 along with its just flashy clothes :)

Like maybe a third or fourth tuner, and a lot more recording space!?

All in all, it is purty :)
4 UTV units all retired now
HR21-100 to 65" HDTV Network MRV to HR20-700 to 42" LED, R16-300 to 32" SDTV
Started DirecTV with UltimateTV in 1997
UTV... one thing MS did right... then quit, go figure!

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hmmmm with the name Pro, I would have thought there would be a lil more to it than the few things it list that differ from the standard HR21 along with its just flashy clothes :)

Like maybe a third or fourth tuner, and a lot more recording space!?

All in all, it is purty :)

I agree a 3rd or 4th tuner would have been great. I do like the 100 hours of recording time though

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

I think the pro aspect really refers to the unit's better cooling, rackmountability and increased capacity.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   themorg

themorg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hey Earl. Do they say if this will be offered as an upgrade option to current HR20 customers? We have 2 that we would be happy to swap out. :)

I realize we could do eSATA for more recording space, but, my wife would not be big on that. Doubling the recording space is a least a step in the right direction.

Thanks for all the reporting from CES!
Kevin

2 HR20-700s, 1 HR10-250, 2 R15s, 1 ancient RCA

#6 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

I'm intrigued by the idea of optical HDMI. If it can handle a 200m cable, it would be handy for distribution to different rooms. Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've never seen a device with an optical HDMI input.

So, is there a converter availabe to go from optical to a standard HDMI cable for input into a TV or AV receiver?

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

From what I know... it is targetted at a $599 price point.
I have heard both, it will be leased and/or owned... So I am trying to get definitive on that.

As for "upgrade" I am sure it will be an option, but at an of course elivated price.

Not sure what it will be to upgrade from an HR2* to an HR2* PRO
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

Good stuff!
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#9 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

Nothing really pro about this. I too wish it would come with a 3rd or 4th tuner then maybe I'd consider buying one.

#10 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

So let me get this straight. Just like the regular HR21, this Pro version does not have an OTA Tuner, right? If so, will it be compatible with the AM21?

Which leads to another question, if it will work with the AM21, is the HD DVR Pro the same width as the AM21? (So they will look in-line stacked to one another).

And again, if that's the case are there/will there be rack ears available for the AM21 or do you think there will be an AM21 PRO version coming out instead.

Sorry for all the silly questions, but all of my components are rack mounted and I wanted to know all of the available options.

It's so much easier and convenient when components already have rack ears installed. It looks so much neater in the rack. Another option is to get rackshelves with custom faceplates, but at $167 apiece, they are little pricey.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

This is a very nice higher-end unit, with expanded connectivity, storage, improved materils such as gold contacts, and a few other mice extended features.

This is a super piece of electronics that will fit in well an a Home Theater rack or near similar high-end components.

Kudos.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Attached is the scanned document about the HD-DVR PRO

You can see the rack mounting equipment in the first picture (which is included with the unit).

In a nutshell - HR21 on steroids.

PDF File (1.6mb)

Did they give an MSRP? Or ballpark figure?

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Did they give an MSRP? Or ballpark figure?

~$600 is what it is expected to be at
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

So let me get this straight. Just like the regular HR21, this Pro version does not have an OTA Tuner, right? If so, will it be compatible with the AM21?

Which leads to another question, if it will work with the AM21, is the HD DVR Pro the same width as the AM21? (So they will look in-line stacked to one another).

And again, if that's the case are there/will there be rack ears available for the AM21 or do you think there will be an AM21 PRO version coming out instead.

Sorry for all the silly questions, but all of my components are rack mounted and I wanted to know all of the available options.

It's so much easier and convenient when components already have rack ears installed. It looks so much neater in the rack. Another option is to get rackshelves with custom faceplates, but at $167 apiece, they are little pricey.

It does not come with ATSC tuners...
And the AM21 can/will work with it eventually....

I will have to ask (But I suspect), that they could easily have an AM21-PRO version, that will be rackable along with it. (since it would just be a case change).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

Earl,
How is the PQ on this thing?

#16 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Other then nicer looks, does this really buy you anything over an HR21 with an upgraded HDD?

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Earl,
How is the PQ on this thing?

If it was hooked to the display right above it (couldn't tell since all the wires disappear into the wall).

It is just as good as our HR20/21 systems...

The unit is basically an HR21 on steroids...

The PRO ... is more of PRO-SUMER rather than PRO-FESSIONAL
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Other then nicer looks, does this really buy you anything over an HR21 with an upgraded HDD?

The optical HDMI...
The included/standard RACK options
Improved Cooling (it has two case fans).
Few other things...

But in all honesty, it is an HR21 on steroids.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   lukep10

lukep10

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hey guys these are going to be in extremely short supply. In my last meeting with DirecTV the message was that this will be for high end consumer electronics and home theater type companies. I'm trying to get better info on exactly how many I can even allocate to independent retailers which will give me a better idea as to what will be available to folks that want them outside of the custom home consumers. If I get a clearer answer I'll make a post ASAP.

#20 OFFLINE   mulesqb

mulesqb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

The optical HDMI...
The included/standard RACK options
Improved Cooling (it has two case fans).
Few other things...

But in all honesty, it is an HR21 on steroids.

Earl - What is Optical HDMI?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...